PDA

View Full Version : Melanoma?

walus
02-28-2005, 10:13 PM
Hi,

I have a mole on my upper back that has been constantly irritating me. I have seen two doctors about this mole and both have said it is OK. However, the shape is rather irregular and it is has a frequent tingly sensation as well as it sometimes feels like a quick needle *****. Should I continue to be concerned? Are there other conditions, which could lead to this?

Some history: Several years ago I had a cist removed from the side of my face and most recently had a bump come up behind one of my ears, I took some penicillin and the bump went away. Are these signs of anything?

Many thanks

Belle2003
03-01-2005, 08:18 AM
Were the doctors that you went to dermatologists?

walus
03-01-2005, 04:37 PM
No, just family doctors.

irisrose
03-02-2005, 08:15 AM
I'd just get rid of it if I were you. No sense in watching it and wondering about it all of the time. It's simple and fairly painless to have them removed. Frankly, I like going to my family practice doctors for mole removal, at least mine. Since they aren't experts, they tend to take my word for it and remove the mole as opposed to shave biopsy or watching and waiting. I know this may not be the right thing to do, but if your docs think watching and waiting is fine, tell them that it changed a little. Itchy, size change etc. Then they will have cause to remove it. Seems, from my experience, no docs will just remove them because you ask. Don't know why-it's my body, my money. But they need you to give them a cause for removal.

Good luck to you!

Candy88186
03-28-2005, 05:56 PM
I am not trying to scare you but I also went to three doctors before the third one
took it off and it was Melanoma....So go and have it removed and biopsied....When in doubt I have them removed. Also I had a second melanoma and the doctor siad I don't think it is anything but if you would feel better I will take it off, he took it off and it was melanoma....and he was a dermatologist who practiced in Washington DC.....

Candy88186
03-28-2005, 05:57 PM
You know melanoma is completely curable if it is taken care of in its early stage....

pittguy578
11-16-2005, 06:41 PM
Some of these doctors in these posts irk me. With skin cancer being such a serious issue, you would think they would not say "its nothing" even if it remotely looks suspicious and would send it off for a biopsy just to be sure. I know doctors are doing the best they can, but hopefully they will be offered refresher courses or continuing education courses with respect to skin cancer.

Having that as a requirement for contiuing to be licensed or having their malpractice carriers require them to take such classes to qualify for lower rates seems like a good idea to me.

Ga Lady
11-18-2005, 05:39 AM
You know melanoma is completely curable if it is taken care of in its early stage....
Candy, I am not shooting your post down but as a Melanoma survivor, I won't people to know that once you have melanoma, it's actually a life long "wait and watch' process. Mine was early, the earliest is "melanoma in situ" which is the best kind to have. Mine was thin, but still put me at Stage 1b, there is currently NO CURE for melanoma. Just surgery to remove it and if the cells have traveled to the lymphs then a Sentinal Node Biopsy to find the "draining lymph" but No ...Melanoma isn't cureable, it's treatable but I am praying their will be a cure. After a surgery, CT scans, MRI's and a Pet Scan, I am sitting at ease now with the terms I used as NED=no evidence of disease. Now in my religious beliefs I say I am Healed! God is so good!

BonBe
11-26-2005, 07:01 AM
I agree. Melanoma is a life thing. it lurks sometimes to surface again and sometimes to lay quiet and still. It metasticizes to various pigment producing organs, and that happens all too often.

Most folks will enjoy a long life, but a life filled with constant vigilance, and check ups. My 'spot' was a 4.00 thick mole, that put me into stage 2 bracket, and it has been a year, and I am still going for oncology checks every three months, and will for a nother two years, then six months, then yearly.

Only 8% of melanomas will come back as a second primary, but the disease is always there.... no cure to adequate treatment, surgery being the best bet, If like Ga Lady says it is caught in situ (meaning in place) chances are it will never ever again come back to haunt you. But even stage 1 is a need for preventative measures. (sun blocks, shade etc)

Remember Melanoma is the worst of all skin cancers when it has become invasive. It changes our lives totally and the lives of those who we live with. I would never ever want to have the title of melanoma but I do. I have read that some people seem to really want that to be added. NOPE it means no life insurance, you cannot donate blood, or organs (after death) it is not a thing I would wish on anyone. I am at present also enjoying NED status, but still have those quarterly checks, and quarterly dermatology checks, and have had so many CT scans in the past year I feel glowy. (some spots of intrigue on my lung)

Be vigilant, be sun smart, no tanning beds, wear protective clothing when you should even in winter. And do not ever hesitate when you are wondering if it is or isnt, get it checked out by a qualified doctor.

BonBe

Ga Lady
11-27-2005, 02:08 PM
You said it well BonBe, My onc is wanting me to have a SNB and I've already had the WLE, after a CT, MRI, Pet Scan...I've decided that (after talking with family) that I am declining the SNB. My onc probably won't be happy but I feel it's my body and IF I had the slightest idea or doubt I would have it done. SNB's are normally done before WLE, one done after the WLE are inconclusive.

BonBe
11-27-2005, 02:37 PM
Oh SO true.......... In fact when I was sent on to the cancer hospital from my local (after WLE) they were shocked that no SNB was performed, and me not knowing what on earth they were talking about, asked of course, and was told right away that it MUST be performed BEFORE the WLE is done, or else how on earth can the sentinel node be tracked if the WLE had been performed. They also admitted quite freely that a SNB is JUSt a diagnostic tool, and sometimes healing is worse than no operation.

I am glad in a weird way that it was not done...... Feeling for node swelling and all the precautions taken along the way suit me. The same goes for the Interferon course I was offered (trial) I declined for numerous reasons. and after learning more I have no regrets.

Chances of a second primary are really slim, and if another occurance happens then it is metasticized and not of the original. I have learned so much in this past year.

But yep...... VIGILANCE is key! And every single melanoma patient thinks this disease sucks big time, and would give practically anything to not have that added to our name. It is a "Thing for Life" not easily swept away. Early detection, vigilance, and regular derm appointments is what matters now.

Bonnie

tomh
12-15-2005, 04:07 AM
I had the SNB at the same time as the wide area excision, three weeks after the initial scrape and biopsy. As has been said, its a life long "wait and watch". I feel a lot more confident with a clear SNB behind me. Still get PETs every year. Now cancer free 3 years. Praise the Lord!

BTW, it was PET scan that discovered Crohns (mild case, but another "wait and watch"). Also not curable, but well controlled with medicine.

Eagle
01-17-2006, 05:00 AM
This is a very informative thread. I'm making a dermatologist appointment. It may take more than a month to get in.

Mine's an old blemish the doctor said was aging skin many years ago, which has changed to sandpaper-like, and slightly bluish, which may mean it's just transparent, skin color. I'm making an appointment for as soon as possible. Another one is coming up, smaller, on the same leg. Anyone know anything about Squamous Cell?

I'm just trying to get a general idea about the whole subject.

ariesgirly
02-07-2006, 08:49 AM
i don't want to scare you, but I had two doctors check out a mole & said it was fine (family doctors) and when I went to the dermatologist, she removed it & found malignant melanoma. Please go get it checked by a dermatologist right away. Delaying it causes major problems.... like going into the lymph nodes. : :nono:

Eagle
02-07-2006, 09:46 AM
I know. Thanks, Ariesgirl. I have an appointment for Feb. 20.

Eagle
03-07-2006, 05:41 AM
3-7-06

Followup, biopsy results came back negative. One lesion was diagnosed seborrhe'tic keratosis, as opposed to pre-cancerous actinic keratosis, which mine LOOKS like, flatter, and the other is a blue niva, or nivea, on the same lower leg, only a band-aid width away. Seems kind of strange to me that I'd get two different kinds in almost the same spot.

Seborrhetic keratosis is supposed to look like a drop of wax cooled on the skin, but mine's very flat like an actinic, so I'm still just a little worried that there may have been some mistake, and will watch for any change in the site.

In case anyone's nervous about a biopsy, I didn't even feel the numbing injection, nor the removal of the 3 sutures from the "punch", down to fat, biopsy, which may continue to feel a bit tender when sleeping on that side for another couple of weeks. Will keep a band-aid on.