PDA

View Full Version : Questions about moles

stlucy
03-04-2005, 11:20 PM
My husband has several moles and two of them have some dark spots on them. They have been like that for years. He is going to have them checked, but I am scared to death. Can anyone give some information? I know that dark spots are sign of cancer, but is it always? They are not odd shaped or rough around the edges, just different shades of brown. If anyone could give some information, I would greatly appreciate it. I am worried sick! Thanks!

BonBe
03-05-2005, 03:38 AM
I have many moles that sound like the ones on your husband, and they are not serious at all. The one that they (on me) now are concerned with is not round, has uneven edges, and weirdly shaped. The chances of this one (on me) being malignant are very slim.

Since I am already in treatment for MM I am being monitored and are having any suspicious stuff removed.

You and your husband have done excactly right, by having ANY concerns checked out by a competent doctor.

cancer is not always dark pigmented, it onlyh means that melanoma is formed withing the pigment producing cells. The dx of MM is very hard as it is based on size, and the ABCD's of the leison. May I suggest that you check out various sites that have great information regarding the actual ins and outs of cancer related moles and stuff?

When I first was dx's with malignant melanoma, I researched all I could. My particular case fooled my two doctors, but they decided to remove the offending Giant mole just in case, and when the pathology came back...wham.... it hit me (and them) like a ton of bricks. Always know this, that it way better to be safe than ever sorry.

Moles
Moles are growths on the skin. Doctors call moles nevi (one mole is a nevus). These growths occur when cells in the skin, called melanocytes, grow in a cluster with tissue surrounding them. Moles are usually pink, tan, brown, or flesh-colored. Melanocytes are also spread evenly throughout the skin and produce the pigment that gives skin its natural color. When skin is exposed to the sun, melanocytes produce more pigment, causing the skin to tan, or darken.

Moles are very common. Most people have between 10 and 40 moles. A person may develop new moles from time to time, usually until about age 40. Moles can be flat or raised. They are usually round or oval and no larger than a pencil eraser. Many moles begin as a small, flat spot and slowly become larger in diameter and raised. Over many years, they may flatten again, become flesh-colored, and go away.

NORMAL MOLES

They range in color from pink, light to dark browns and even to
black
Their shape can be round or oval.
Their size can range from barely visible to quite large areas.
They may form a raised bump on the skin or they may be flat
They may or may not have hairs.

Bonnie

stlucy
03-05-2005, 11:29 AM
Thank you so much for taking the time to ease my mind. Your information was very helpful and I greatly appreciate it!

BonBe
03-06-2005, 10:28 AM
Just try hard to remember and follow through Do not fret about something that has not (nor likely to) happen. I always say when in doubt ...check it out, and you and your hubby are doing just that.

I hope you will soon report GOOD NEWS here. and do keep us posted please.

Bonnie

stlucy
04-02-2005, 07:01 PM
My husband had his mole removed last week, and there was no sign of cancer!! He had to have it surgically removed at the hospital, for it was on top of a main artery. Because he is very thin with not much body fat, the doctor was afraid of cutting the artery; therefore, he needed to be in the hospital so it could be cauterized. They cut the entire mole and skin around it, but there were no problems. We just got the good news today, and he gets his stitches out on Monday. The dark spot in the center was caused from the artery; the mole was feeding off of the blood. Thank you Bonnie for your advice and words of wisdom. Take care!!!! :)

BonBe
04-03-2005, 03:13 AM
Oh that is great news, and I am glad he had it done in a hospital setting. Having the blood supply so close is always a concern.

Again, GREAT NEWS and just remember in future everyone, if you are the least bit concerned, about a mole just have it checked out. No one can tell if it is melanoma except with the correct pathology being performed on a completly excised one.

Thanks for letting us know. I was thinking about what the results were.

Bonnie