PDA

View Full Version : Anybody ever used stevia?

jazzyE
03-13-2005, 09:31 PM
Just wondering if anyone uses this as a sweetener. What does it taste like?

Veronicaberry
03-13-2005, 11:25 PM
like a sweetener, its so much better for you than sugar or saccharin. I will never use anything else.

jazzyE
03-14-2005, 08:20 AM
Do you use it in cooking and baking too? If a recipe calls for like a cup of sugar, how much stevia would you use?

ASDGRMama
03-14-2005, 09:34 PM
Hello! I love using stevia but if you're very used to consuming a lot of white sugar products it will take some getting used to.

There is 1 teaspoon of stevia to a cup of sugar (and believe me you don't want to over do it; it's incredibly sweet!!).

The powdered extract is the best form in my opinion but the most cost effective is the powdered leaf (it's green, doesn't dissolve and it floats in your tea :rolleyes: ). It comes in a liquid extract also but I have never used it in this form.

I cannot tolerate any type of sugars but since stevia does not have a glycemic effect I am able to use it without any problems.

I strongly recommend it!! My kids love it too and you can use it in just about anything as a sugar substitute (it will not grow yeast for breads as it is not a sugar). I also do not like it for cherry pie and oatmeal :) .

Experimenting is the best way to find what you like :) .

Love and Prayers, Kelly

rheanna
03-14-2005, 11:31 PM
like a sweetener, its so much better for you than sugar or saccharin. I will never use anything else.

What makes it "better for you" than sugar or saccharin, Veronicaberry?

Thanks, Rheanna

bluehen94
03-15-2005, 06:40 AM
I use the liquid stevia for tea because the powder doesn't desolve. Its OK, takes time to get used like previously said above.

jazzyE
03-15-2005, 07:52 AM
Thanks Kelly!
I can't have any form of sugar now, so I've been looking into stevia as a substitute for certain foods. I'm gonna go and get the powder extract today:)