PDA

View Full Version : Melanoma and pregnancy

zoldanova
03-17-2005, 02:28 PM
Hello everybody,
I'm 27 years old female, red hair, fair skin , diagnosed with dysplastoc nevi syndrome. I have lots of moles and dysplastic moles. No history of melanoma, thaks God,I do go every 6 month for derm check-ups. I had 50 moles cut out and 16 of those were dysplastic, 5 moderate and rest of tjem mild. However, me and my husband would like to have a baby. I have read on internet that pregnancy hormones are having effwect on melanoma and that my moles may get bigger and darker and new one's may appear and the worst some of thme may develop melanoma thaks to to pregnany hormones that have effect on the skin. I'm so scared, I do want to have baby but not if I may die, Jesus. Also I really do not want more moles, OH Good. I don;t know what to do , I want to enjoy my pregnancy not to worry crazy and watch myself everyday in the mirror wiht big stress. Every doctor is saying something else. ANY HELP OR ADVISE IS VERY WELCOME.

Belle2003
03-18-2005, 05:50 PM
I am fair, blonde, blue eyes and I did not get an increase in moles or have moles increase in size during any of my pregnancies. I have only read that if you have already been diagnosed with cancer, that the hormones during pregnancy can help to increase your odds of having a reoccurance once you are in remission.

Since you do not have any form of cancer, I would think having a baby would put you at no risk. When in doubt, ask your gynecologist.

The only thing that I noticed that grew larger with each pregnancy was my butt!!

zoldanova
03-21-2005, 01:00 PM
I am fair, blonde, blue eyes and I did not get an increase in moles or have moles increase in size during any of my pregnancies. I have only read that if you have already been diagnosed with cancer, that the hormones during pregnancy can help to increase your odds of having a reoccurance once you are in remission.

Since you do not have any form of cancer, I would think having a baby would put you at no risk. When in doubt, ask your gynecologist.

The only thing that I noticed that grew larger with each pregnancy was my butt!!

Hello Belle2003,
thank you for your repply. DO you have los of moles as well or fair skin only. I fell like a ticking bomb for melanoma, how am I going to watch all of them during pregnancy is beyond my understanding. How did you do? Did you visit dermatologist more often during pregnancy or just watched them at home.
Thank you so much for sharing with me.
Ivana

Fullfire
03-21-2005, 08:22 PM
I don;'t know if this is helpfull or not but my mother melanoma and whiel she was pregnant with me,, the cancer cells were active.. Since the cancer cells were active Iam now far more likely to develop and die from skin cancer lie kmy mother than I would have been if the celsl had been active.

Belle2003
03-21-2005, 10:55 PM
I am loaded with moles and dysplastic nevi. When I was pregnant I did not know a thing about melanoma or any kind of skin cancer. I did not develop basal cell skin cancer until after my kids were 18 years old.

I personally think that since you have never had any kind of skin cancer, that you are stressing out about something that may never happen. I myself was worried about so many things that had to do with being pregnant. Like will my child be healthy, how much pain is there while delivering, will my body go back to normal, will I be a good mom, stuff like that. With all of those concerns and fears, I realized that I wanted to be a mom more and so I faced my fears and got pregnant. We all are afraid of the unknown.

Talk to a dermatologist about your cancer fears and pregnancy. Perhaps this can put your mind at ease. Then when you are truly ready, you can get pregnant.

zoldanova
03-22-2005, 07:59 AM
I don;'t know if this is helpfull or not but my mother melanoma and whiel she was pregnant with me,, the cancer cells were active.. Since the cancer cells were active Iam now far more likely to develop and die from skin cancer lie kmy mother than I would have been if the celsl had been active.

Hi,
thank you for your repply. I'm not aure that I understand it well. Did your mother developed melanoma during pregnancy or she got pregnant while ahe already had melanoma. Dis she have lots of moles? I'm not aure what how was it exactly. And you are saying that you are at increased risk, yes but do you have moles? lots of them? If yes that you are in highrt risk. If not, that it should be easy for you, anything that appear, just get rid of it.
Ivana

zoldanova
03-22-2005, 08:09 AM
I am loaded with moles and dysplastic nevi. When I was pregnant I did not know a thing about melanoma or any kind of skin cancer. I did not develop basal cell skin cancer until after my kids were 18 years old.

I personally think that since you have never had any kind of skin cancer, that you are stressing out about something that may never happen. I myself was worried about so many things that had to do with being pregnant. Like will my child be healthy, how much pain is there while delivering, will my body go back to normal, will I be a good mom, stuff like that. With all of those concerns and fears, I realized that I wanted to be a mom more and so I faced my fears and got pregnant. We all are afraid of the unknown.

Talk to a dermatologist about your cancer fears and pregnancy. Perhaps this can put your mind at ease. Then when you are truly ready, you can get pregnant.

Hello Belle2003,
THANK YOU so much for sharing with me and your advise. I did spoke with my dermatologist and two others as well. Everybody has a different opinion. My dermatologist told me that it may or may not happend but since I don't have nay personal history of melanoma that I shoud be fine. The other told me that pregnancy has no effect on it and the third one thinks, that yes pregnancy has a big effect on deveoping cancer. Which is very confuding tome, how can I choose. You are right, I have to be ready, I'm also facing questions like, am I ready? am I going to be a good mother? also fear of the whole pregnancy process and delivery. Lots of questions. My husband is dreaming about baby every day, kind of pushing me to get pregnant ASAP, he is 31. He does not understand that first I have to deal wiht all those questions and fears, because what kind of pregnancy it will be if I will be stressing the whole time???, right? You are suppose to enjoy not to go crazy, and it is not good for the baby either the stress. So, thank you again for sharing, and I will try to work on myself first. But I shouldn't wait to much, because I'm afraid that I may develop melanoma before I get pregnant since I have lots of dysplastic moles, and that it will be even harde to get pregnant with personal history of cancer. You probably know by now that I'm little panic person, but thank you and I will work on myself little bit harder.
Ivana

Fullfire
03-22-2005, 08:51 AM
She had it but did not know it at that time. Hers started from moles, and yes I have many moles that I myself must get checked.

zoldanova
03-22-2005, 12:27 PM
She had it but did not know it at that time. Hers started from moles, and yes I have many moles that I myself must get checked.

Hi fullfire,
I'm not aure if you are male or female, but if you are female, are you afraid of getting pregnant like me?
Ivana

Fullfire
03-22-2005, 07:47 PM
This may sound horrible but Im nto scared of getting pregnant because well I figure that if my child does get skin cancer they will get something else. My family has a pretty vast history of cancers. Also I figure by the time I am ready to have childern..( im only 21) there will be more advancements in treatment for skin cancer. I look at this way i can't spend my life wondering if I am going to get skin cancer.. Of course I do the obvious to avoid I saw how horrible it was for my mother. In the end though, I cannot determine if I will get it or not. I can just hope.. lol so yes I am female