PDA

View Full Version : Is this mole dangerous?

JasonKid
03-19-2005, 10:32 AM
I'm a 15-year-old male and I'm concerned about a mole I have on my penis, on top at the left and near the base. I've had it for a while, I think (I'm really not sure how long), but just last night I started to get suspicious about it. I think it is showing some of the signs (the ABCDE's) of a cancerous mole according to websites I've read, but I'm not exactly sure. I looked at it under a magnifying glass today and noticed some things.

Before I tell someone about it and get it check out, I want to make sure it has a good chance of being cancerous. So, I'd appreciate it if someone can give me an opinion on these characteristics of the mole: it's smaller than a pencil eraser (I've read that pencil-eraser size is dangerous), probably about half or 1/3 the size of one; it seems to be symmetric, but looking at it under a magnifying glass, it doesn't look like a perfect circle; it is generally red/light brown but a small part (looks about 1/8 the size of the mole) on one side of the mole is raised slightly higher than the rest, black, and subsides into normal skin rather abruptly, while the opposite side subsides gradually; it is raised (I don't know if it always has been), and like I said, one side more than the other; it itches sometimes; it occasionally hurts slightly, and it feels mildly sore when I touch it.

The last two I'm basing off what I've experienced in less than 24 hours, so I don't know if the mole has always been itchy and sore.

Should I get this checked out? If it's cancerous I'd certainly like to get it removed, but I suppose it would be somewhat embarrassing, so I want to make sure.

BonBe
03-19-2005, 10:55 AM
Hi we can only advise you to go seek medical attention. Your family doctor perhaps? Any worrisome mole that has YOU concerned should be checked out, and if it is nothing to worry about then hey, you wont have anything to worry about. Not all melanoma's follow the rule of ABCD and it is best to have it checked by a doctor.

BonBe

mobilesprout
03-29-2005, 08:32 PM
My dermatologist advised me that, when a mole is black, get it checked out. It doesn't mean that it IS cancerous, it just means that you should get it looked at. If you've got insurance, you've no reason not to go.

zoldanova
03-30-2005, 12:57 AM
Hi,
I know exactly what you mean. I have on on my genitlas as well, and never wanted to show my doctor but remember it is worth it. They are doctors, that is what they do. Not every melanoma shows ABCD, however if ti issensitive , it is the mole itself or it can be jsut your genitals, little itchy, you know sometimes or just agrrivated skin down there. But listen, I have many, many moles, and I don't feel good about one of them I go and I insist on having it biopsied even if the doctor say it is nothing. I have read many stories that dermatologist told people OH itis Ok,a nd it turned out to be cancer. I don;t want to scare you, it is probably nothing but if YOU don't feel good about it, you sould go. It is about you, your body and your decision, remember this. Sometimes are body is telling us what to do, we just have listen carefuly. You are saying that you wamt to make sure that it is cancerous before you will see docotr, which is impossible, there is no way you can tell, only biopsy and pathologist can see under microscope. Other think is your risk factors for skin cancer. Are you fair skin? Do you have lots of moles, any family history of skin cancer? That is all impoetant however, remember not everybody who has these risk gactors will get melanoma, in fact most do not. And also even people with no risks can get it. Please do search on internet on melanoma and dysplastic nevi, and go see doctor, it is not worth for you to be wondering every day and be scared. I'm sure that you have plenty other better things to do in your life, something more fun.
Le me know how are you doing.
Ivana