PDA

View Full Version : Punch Biopsy - Suspected Melanoma-Waiting

bago
03-23-2005, 09:34 AM
Hello, I am new to the whole message board thing so please bear with me. I recently had a mole removed by the “punch” method and was wondering how long it normally takes to get results back from the biopsy. My philosophy has always been it is good if you do not hear back from the doctor right away. Is this true of biopsies of the skin? Is there a normal waiting period? It has been almost a week. Thank you very much for your help.

BonBe
03-23-2005, 10:38 AM
Hello and welcome to the boards.

Do not ever just 'go along with the 'no news is good news scenerio' it is just not prudent! now that said.... well, it depends greatly on the doctor, and even what country you are in. Seriously.

I would think 10 days is plenty of time. Some folks get results in way shorter time, some (like me) get results much longer. Why not allow 10 'business days' to me that sounds feasible.

I had 15 days, and found out I had Malignant Melanoma when I went in to get the 4 stitches out from my excisional biopsy. Did you have any stitches with your punch? One thing on this road I am travelling that I have learned, is never to allow a 'shave' biopsy on a suspected nasty mole!

You can maybe even call the doctors office to see if they have any results. Do not just leave it up to the doctors....

Glad though that you have had it looked into, and something done. Remaining vigilant is what is key here. When in doubt have it out.

Bonnie

bago
03-23-2005, 11:28 AM
Thank you for replying to my post so quickly Bonnie and I appreciate the Welcome message! I agree with you, 10 business days seems acceptable. That actually is when I have an appointment to get my stitches removed (only 2).

I'm sorry to hear that your biopsy came back as a Malignant Melanoma. How long ago was that and how are you doing now?

Thank you again for answering my questions. I appreciate your shared knowledge and looking forward to your next "post."

Linda

BonBe
03-23-2005, 11:52 AM
Hi Linda.

well to be sure it is scary for you..... and the waiting is killing isn't it? I am about fed up to my eyebrows with that stuff of being a patient patient! yep!
Almost losing my COOL :cool:

It has been a whirlwind for me most def. the surgery for mr. mole removal was say August 9th 2004. Stiches out August 23 (same time I heard the pathology report) freaked me out for sure. Neither my family doctor, nor the pastic surgeon who did the excision even had a CLUE this was bad. hmmmm.

The surgeon already had me booked for the Wide Local Excision (WLE) for Sept 1st, with followup appt at Princess Margaret in Toronto. (cancer hospital) so I am only 6 months and my whole life and that of my family has changed 100%. We book things around the many appointments, and schedule things for when I am able....tis a drag.

But I sure do hope you post here, with your results and I pray in earnest that you have no major problem. over 90% of these things are just benign things anyhow, so your chances are great.

But feel free to post here any time you want, if any questions. I am open to all questions as I really feel it helps others. With you we can face one day at a time.

Keep me posted ok?

Bonnie

bago
03-23-2005, 07:38 PM
Hello again Bonnie!

"A patient, patient", I LOVE that! I am sooooo NOT a patient, patient, especially when it comes to this kind of stuff! I want the answer yesterday!

It's incredible how life can change in the blink of an eye. I'm truly sorry that you have had to endure all that you have. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers as well as your family and friends.

Thank you for your encouragement and prayers. I will keep you updated and please feel free to write to me any time as well. God knows I am not an expert on Melanoma but I am a good listener (reader) if you ever need a friend.

Linda

bago
03-29-2005, 06:39 AM
Hi Bonnie!

All is well, the biopsy came back normal! Thank you for all of your support.

Good luck an God bless you.

Linda

BonBe
03-29-2005, 07:50 AM
WOW LINDA How great for me to hear of your good news. (not to mention how great it is for YOU to hear of your good news)

Thankyou for letting me know. I was thinking about you today, aned wondering if you had any further information. OH BLESSINGS I am really happy you are ok.

So now you KNOW to be on the watch for anything weird that pops up on your body, and to keep well out of the sun, and wear good sunscreen and just behave yourself and spread the word about being careful.

Bonnie :bouncing: :bouncing:

bago
03-30-2005, 06:03 AM
Hi Bonnie,

The biopsy results came back fine :-) Thank you for your support and caring!

I'll keep you in my prayers.

Linda