PDA

View Full Version : Chlorine....Good? Bad?

Ratman
04-10-2005, 02:53 AM
Ok, so I went on a road trip for 3 days and my acne cleared up completely for a week and a half, which is unheard of for me. The only things I did out of the norm was stay up for 60 hours straight and go swimming for the first time in a long time and there was a lot of chlorine in the pool. So this is basically a poll....

Who has experienced good results because of chlorine?

Who here has experienced improvements after staying awake for a prolonged period of time? Because there has been other times when I stayed up for many hours and my face seemed to improve a little. A breakout would stop dead in its tracks.

Also, I was getting tired of having flaking skin, so now I only wash my face once a day. Is that a bad thing? I was washing twice a day. The once a day routine seems to be making things better actually. The flaking problem is pretty much gone. But I'm still breaking out, so I'm kinda hoping I can just stick my face in some chlorinated water and solve my problem.

karen t.
04-10-2005, 10:24 AM
Sounds like you had a great time and didn't have time to think about your face. Over-obsessing sometimes makes things worse. I also think that the chlorine does have a tendency to dry things up,when I was on the swim team in HS my skin was pretty much clear. I also found that while on a cruise my skin got really clear, I think there is salt in the shower water, kinda like if you have a water softener.

Ratman
04-10-2005, 04:59 PM
What is a shower softener? I think I've heard my mom mention them and how it makes your hair feel softer after you get out of the shower or something.

karen t.
04-10-2005, 07:15 PM
It's actually a cannister that attaches to your main water system. You add salt every month and it takes the hardness out of the water. Some people say that it's kinda the same benefits of going swimming in the ocean except that you can't taste the salt, it just leaves your skin and hair softer. We live in Florida where the water is not that great so it helps.

BioAdoptMom3
04-10-2005, 07:47 PM
Chlorine, or anything with bleach properties kills bacteria, fungus, etc. so I am almost positive it is what is responsible for your skin improvements. I too notice that my skin is better in the summer and we have a pool and swim almost everyday. Once when we had a foster child her scabies cleared up after two or three times in the pool and it will also cure yeast or things like ring worm.

Nancy

SuzyB0731
04-10-2005, 10:57 PM
o ya my acne and back acne always would clear up awesome when i'd go on vacation and be in the hot tub 24/7

Ratman
04-11-2005, 04:34 PM
Ok, I don't have a pool. How can I stick my face in some chlorinated water? I'll buy chlorine and put it in a bucket and stick my head in it, I don't care, I just need to know how to balance the chlorine properly so I don't burn my face off.

SweetAmy87
04-11-2005, 04:46 PM
yea is there any way to get chlorine benefits at home?

karen t.
04-11-2005, 05:03 PM
Please don't go mixing chlorine with water at home. This could be deadly. I use such a small amount of chlorine to the gallons of water in the pool, and even then your eyes sting after a bit. Perhaps there is something out there that willl have the same benefits. I still like the clearsil bar soap, can't believe that after all these years of seeing it on the shelf decided to give it a try, and I have to say I love it.

Kc1985
04-11-2005, 07:17 PM
I definetly wouldnt recomen sticking your face in chlorine bucket lol, im tno sure of any ways to get "chlorine benefits" with out a pool BUT id say if you did try this buy a bottle of the test strips they have for pools you swish the strips arodn in the pool for a minute and the color of the strip will change to tell you if it is a safe amoutn of chlorine and since a big pool doesnt take that much chlorine it would be liek what a few drops to put in a bucket?

Kc1985
04-11-2005, 07:20 PM
Salt water should be good too thought for healing and things because when i got my lip pierced and my freind got an ear piercing (unusual one) we went back to the tat shop and the piercer asked if when we went on vacation if we went in the ocean and my freidn said yes but didnt get her ear wet with ocean water and he said that the salt water is the best thing for it, sh ealso said she went swimming in the pool and went under and he said that wasnt good for it.. so wether it will help acne or nto who knows