PDA

View Full Version : mole of sole of foot

Mom22greatkids
04-18-2005, 01:28 PM
I went to the dermatologist for a full body mole check. There are two that he didn't like the looks of. He is going to remove one from my stomach and do a shave biopsy on my arm. I also have one on the sole of my foot. It is small but not exactly round and the edges look funny to me. I'm not sure if it's the texture of my foot or what that makes it look this way. The doctor said this area is not a good area to have a mole (as well as the scalp, palms of hands and genitals). He said he doesn't really have the equipment to remove it and to just watch it. Should I insist on removing it? Is there a different way of removing them from this area? Why is this a bad area to have a mole?

FL_Trish
04-29-2005, 05:36 AM
Hi Mom22

I had 2 moles on the sole of my feel. I went to the dermatologist and she ended up removing 5 moles all together... 2 of them were on my feet.
She was not too concerned about it, but I was. I had in-situ melanoma last year and my old dermatologist would not remove that mole every time I asked him to.
Any way... she did a shave biopsy and they came out negative. Now I don't have to watch them and be concerned about them any more.
She removed them the same way she removed the others...

The mole that I had that turned into MM...
I asked my previous dermatologist about it for 3 years... and asked him to have it removed.
He said that there was nothing to worry about it and just to keep an eye on it.
2 months after my last check up with him I went to another dermatologist. She did a biopsy and came out positive!

If I had had it removed 3 years ago (or 2 years ago) I would have had a tinny scar on my leg. Now I have a scar that is an inch and a half round (had to have a skin graft).
My new dermatologist and I agree on this now... If I have a doubt/concern about a mole... since I get to see it more often than she does... we have it removed!
After that... I don't have to worry about keeping an eye on so many moles...

Trish

Mom22greatkids
04-29-2005, 08:03 AM
Hi Trish. Thanks so much for replying. How scary for you to have to go through that. I'm glad you were persistent and caught it in time. Some doctors seem to brush things off too easily.

irisrose
04-29-2005, 01:03 PM
I had a new mole show up on one of my toes. I didn't like it because it was new, in an odd place and it also didn't appear to have a definitive border. Sort of looked fuzzy. I think it's because of the kind of skin on the foot. I had them remove it because I didn't like it and didn't want to wait until it changed. I had to be very persistant, otherwise the derm asst. would have just left it there. I don't know why they seem so reluctant to remove a mole. What's the big deal? It takes a couple of minutes and they make money from it. I don't understand that. It's my body and if I want everyone of my moles removed, why should they fight that? I finally just went to my General Practioner. She just takes them off. She'll even offer to take more if I'm concerned about any. It's not like I'm having 30 moles removed. But if I have 3-4 that concern me, why can't they just be taken off so I don't have to watch and wonder about them.

Sorry about my rant, just had a less than professional experience with my last derm office. I hope all is well. I'd try to get it removed. It's in an odd place and no need for you to have to worry about it.