PDA

View Full Version : Changing Mole (checked all threads)

Marimac
04-23-2005, 03:15 PM
I don't usually ask questions, but this one has me stumped. I read through every single post and have not seen one exactly like my question. I have had a black eraser sized mole on my chest/breast for all my life. It has been soft shiny and smooth and almost perfectly round. In the last few months, the black started to crust and flake and now a pink colored flattened border has started protuding in one direction I wish I could draw a picture. I have a derm appointment May 4th. I have never had my moles checked before and I am 53. I have heard of moles disappearing and going to black. I have never heard of them crusting from black to pink and flattening out. Can some one take a guess on this one.?

smithn
04-23-2005, 06:23 PM
If you've had it all your life and has not changed in size all this time then it's not a melanoma. When you see your dermatologist, ask him to take a punch biopsy of it in while you're in the office.

zuzu8
04-23-2005, 06:39 PM
You're wise to have made an appt with your dermatologist. A good rule of thumb is if a pre-existing mole ever changes size, shape, color or undergoes any kind of transformation, it needs to be evaluated.

zuzu

BonBe
04-26-2005, 08:34 AM
the very fact that it has changed warrants the derm visit. My mole was the same for eons it seemed, then it began to hump up and get larger till finally no matter how much I bribed daughter for a back rub (ahhhh) she refused until she dragged me to the doctor.

Turned out is MM and I have had WLE and stuff and my life is now forever more changed. Just had another mole biopsied (results on the 3rd of May)

YOu did EXCELLENT just by making the appt. and from now on no matter how long yhour mole has been unchanged, at the first sign of it.... best to be safe than sorry.

Bonnie

Merimac
04-26-2005, 05:42 PM
Thanks for the encouragement to go get it checked. I am so good at helping others make decisions about their health but I am always afraid of making too much of my own health!!
I truly am not sure if this is more than an aging problem since I have read that moles can change color and fall off for that matter. But it is also in a place that has a very good blood supply close to the surface, so it would not take a lot for it to get into my blood stream or lymph nodes.
The other thing that has me a little worried is the fact that when the Derm discovered my husbands cancer on his lip, I could not see anything wrong, just using my own eyes. So for me to see this mole changing before my eyes is kind of worrisome.