PDA

View Full Version : biopsy

askr
04-25-2005, 04:55 PM
I had a biopsy done a week ago and have still not heard anything... the doctor said that my mole looked really suspicious - it was a big freckle, turned black and then became a little raised. It was about 6 mm. I got an appointment right away. If it was melanoma, how long does it take to turn into a stage 3 or 4? Does it have to grow for a few months? years? I am 28 years old and am so worried that it might be serious. Hopefully we will get the results back soon.

Sarah424
04-25-2005, 09:29 PM
It took my dermatologist 3 weeks to get the results back to me. It took so long they said because, they sent it out for a 2nd opinion. Mine was black and raised for about 1 1/2 months before I could get in to see the doctor and it is Level 2. I am sure everyone is different though. Good luck, I hope all is fine with your results.

esstwobee
04-25-2005, 10:43 PM
I too had to wait what felt like forever (three weeks) for the results to come back on my biopsy...and then it felt like I had to wait forever (almost four weeks) for the surgery to be scheduled...once I knew it was a melanoma tumor that had been growing for at least a year, I couldn't get it off of me quick enough! Waiting is the most difficult of all, as is the 'not knowing.'

Be assured that the doctors will not put you at any additional risk once they have all the information. And it will feel like forever.

Breathe.

And check in here when you get the results. Best of luck!

askr
04-26-2005, 10:40 AM
Thanks for replying... I will let you know as soon as I hear something!

askr
05-03-2005, 05:07 PM
I got my results back - it was melanoma. It is .85 mm deep and a Clark's level 4. I go to an oncologist Thurs. Does anyone know what the chance it may have traveled to lymph nodes? It is less than 1 mm, but the Clark's level is so high... It was removed from my upper arm.

esstwobee
05-04-2005, 10:09 PM
I went to see an oncologist after my (similar) results came back...more to get the 'worse case scenario' type procedure than for any real reason as I had not been advised if the cancer had spread through to my lymph system at that time. I do hope they will be offering to schedule you for a Sentinel Lymph Node Mapping at your appointment tomorrow...do ask about getting the procedure. They will inject a radioactive dye into the site and then watch the resulting lymph pathway on a monitor...in my case they removed a few of the sentinal nodes to check them for cancer and I was relieved to find out that my lymph was clear. Will they be removing any more surrounding tissue from your original mole site with surgery? That is when they will most likely do the sentinal node mapping. I did not have to return to the oncologist again as there was nothing more to 'treat' after the surgery, and I've remained cancer free for two years. Hope my experience is helpful to you, and wishing you clean lymph results!

esstwobee
05-04-2005, 10:14 PM
Wishing you an 'all clear' !!

esstwobee
05-05-2005, 01:35 PM
I hope ASKR that you were offered Sentinal Node Mapping at your appointment today...do post here to let us know...

esstwobee
05-05-2005, 01:37 PM
A computer glitch here and I've posted three times...I apologize for my repetetiveness :)

askr
05-06-2005, 02:46 PM
I went to the oncologist yesterday and the surgeon today. They are going to do the Sentinal Node Biopsy as well as the Wide Excision surgery next week. The Oncologist said that there is a 10-15% chance it could have spread to lymph nodes, so I am looking at is as an 85-90% chance that it hasn't. The whole thing has really made me paranoid! I am ready to get the surgery over with next week! I am glad you had no lymph node involvement - hopefully I don't either.