PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone had a really suspicious mole removed and it was benign?

irisrose
04-27-2005, 07:33 AM
I'm just wondering how many people have wierd moles removed, that look like melanoma, but came back benign.

I'm going to have one removed off my back. I noticed it last spring and went to the derm to have it looked at. She told me it was nothing. Now it's started to itch. At first I thought it was one of those seborrhic keritosis spots. But now that it's itchy, I'm of course concerned. I've had several moles of mine removed for what I thought was suspicious. One was itchy on my leg and it was benign. I had one removed in my temple hairline that grew from a pinpoint to noticable dot and it was benign. I've had new moles removed only to find it was nothing. So, I've been eliminating the ones I think are changing and they've been nothing, but each time one does something it still scares me.

I guess I'm just wondering if changes in a mole are always a sure bet it's melanoma. I'm going to go this week and have it removed. But how many have had changing moles removed and came back benign?

Thanks. Just wondering and trying to make myself feel better.

ScarlettGA
04-27-2005, 05:32 PM
I was told by a dermatologist that if a mole concerned me - it was nothing to take it off and have it tested and it was better to be safe than sorry. I've had several taken off because of a change or for some reason they made me feel uncomfortable. I had one that just popped up once and for some reason it really bothered me - it was a dark color and I didn't like it - he removed it and it came back completely benign. I've also been told that a mole was cancerous - had them removed and they all came back benign. So who knows? I stand by the saying - if you don't like it or have concerns about it - have it removed. Besides - just because it's benign today doesn't mean in 5 - 10 - 15 years it will still be benign. Hope this makes you feel better! Take Care...Scarlett

Belle2003
04-28-2005, 07:46 PM
I have had two removed that were benign. The first was sore and the skin around it was red. The second was a flat mole that grew to be larger than my pinky finger nail. It was irregularly shaped and multi colored. The doctor was very suspicious of this one, but luckily it was benign. At the time if I had known the signs of melanoma, this mole would have been removed years sooner.

Makaveli01
04-28-2005, 09:55 PM
Belle2003,

Hi. What does it mean for it to be benign? I know that it means its not cancerous, but does it have any atypia towards it? I am assuming yours had Architectural Disorder or Atypia, but did it also have Cytologic Atypia...atypical cells?

Thanks

irisrose
04-29-2005, 01:09 PM
Thanks for sharing some of your experiences. I know it's best to be safe than sorry. But sometimes you just to need hear real life experiences that sometimes show that what you read isn't always written in stone. It just seems that whatever you read about melanoma, it says if a mole changes, it's most likely cancer. I just need to hear that sometimes that's just not the case. Like I said in my OP, I've had several wierd moles removed with nothing being found. But anytime one changes on me, I still think melanoma immediately.

Thanks again for replying. Got a couple taken off today, now just have to wait and see.

Thanks again!

Makaveli01
04-29-2005, 02:44 PM
irisrose,

when you get the pathology report back, does it say whether there are cytologic atypia or not? have you got one with architectural atypia but no cytologic atypia?

thanks, has anyone?

Belle2003
04-29-2005, 03:05 PM
Hi Makaveli:

I did not request a copy of the pathology report. I only know that it was not cancerous. To me, that was all that was important. I guess in the future I should ask what exactly it was because you are not the first person to ask. It seems that other people request the details, so I should too.

Makaveli01
04-29-2005, 03:29 PM
it just means your not as obsessive as i am :)

FearfuL
04-30-2005, 01:05 PM
Mak, what's cytologic atypia and architectural atypia?

iris - I'm also playing the dreaded wait game. Did your doc remove the mole(s) completely?

I've heard stories of funky moles turning up benign... update us please when you get results! Did your doc say how long it'd take?

Makaveli01
04-30-2005, 02:26 PM
its how they acccess a mole whether it is atypical or cancerous.

its the degree of how bad it looks, clinically, and cytology wise (looking at the cells)

for lesions shaved off, i would put on some neosporin, it heals up great.

irisrose
04-30-2005, 02:38 PM
Hi FearFul,
Sorry you're waiting again too. Yes, my dr. did an excisional biopsy. The one that I wanted removed started itching about 2 wks ago. I had gone about a year ago because I wanted it looked at. The bubblehead at my derms office said she saw nothing. Now here I am a year later with the same mole itching. So I just went to my general practice dr. She's nice. She'll just remove them for me. Then she asked if I wanted any other removed, so I had her take a newer mole. Nothing wrong with it other than it was new and darker brown than my others.

I should get my results by the end of next week. I'm pretty worried about this one. I've never had one that I've known about for this long and then waited for the change to occur. I just usually will have it taken off if I just don't like it or it concerns me. I'm hoping it's nothing or if it is, it's caught in plenty of time.

What kind of trouble are you having with your moles? Something you requested removed or your doctor? Let me know how your's turns out. I hope we can come back next week and both report good news. Good luck to both of us.