PDA

View Full Version : scar turning dark

kt411gcn
05-21-2005, 12:07 AM
Hi everyone. Something has been concerning me lately. I am an avid mountain biker. I just started last summer. Rides usually average 1 hour, and I ride in the sun alot. I'd say i get in a total of about 10 rides a month. Im asian, and my skin can get real dark brown, but unexposed skin can stay pretty light. Anyway, with those details down, i've got a scar running down my right lower leg, 1/8th of an inch thick, about 2 inches long. i got it a couple months ago. the scar started turning black, and i was wondering if this was skin cancer. i've also got a huge scratch-scar that is 2 inches x 2 inches thick on the same lower right leg. i was wondering if scars increase risks of skin cancer. also, after a ride, the front of my lower legs tend to get itchy, but aren't itchy anymore after a day. on rides bushes brush up on my legs alot, and im constantly exposed to the sun. help would be appreciated, thanks :).

FearfuL
05-23-2005, 10:46 AM
Is it true BLACK in color? If exposed to the sun and tanned, all scars turn quite dark.

Are your legs being exposed to the sun? I'm assuming so as you mountain bike.

Now something that may be important - how did you get these scars? I mean, are they just sort of showing up out of no where or did you cut or scrape your leg?

I've never heard of skin cancer manifesting itself as black scars (unless you've previously had a melanoma removed from there maybe but that's the case here). But if this concerns you greatly, take a visit to the doctor and see what he/she has to say about it. Let us know what you decide. =)

kt411gcn
05-23-2005, 07:44 PM
the scar is pretty dark. it was from a scrape. i was concerned because i've never seen a scar that turned really dark before. also, i have pretty big abrasion scars on my right front leg, and sometimes after a ride, my legs get really itchy on the front side, especially on the scar parts. i was wondering why this is? some parts of the trails are tight and have dry bush, but i don't see why that makes my legs itchy. thanks for the help.

FearfuL
05-31-2005, 10:25 AM
kt, so the scar is getting sun exposure, right? Maybe you can start using some sunscreen on the scars (or your whole legs, really) from now on.

As for the itching, perhaps the dry bush is rubbing against you and making you itch? Or your legs are dry?

Just in my opinion, this does not sound like skin cancer to me. However, I'm not a doctor. Has this been going on for a long time? If not, maybe you can see if it starts to die down. Otherwise, if it will put you at ease, stop by your doctor's office. Let us know what you do!

kt411gcn
05-31-2005, 10:30 PM
im going to be putting on suncreen from now on, thanks :).