PDA

View Full Version : Mole removal

Lindsay04
08-01-2005, 10:26 AM
I have a suspicious mole on my back that needs to be removed and I don't have insurance. Does anyone know about how much it costs to have a mole removed by a dermatologist? Do you have to pay that upfront?

Belle2003
08-01-2005, 09:50 PM
When you do not have insurance they usually make you pay at the time of the visit. Every doctor's fee is different, but still expensive. Call the office and ask how much they charge. You have to pay for the removal and the lab analysis to see if it is cancerous.

Perhaps there is a low cost clinic in your area. You can call your Planned Parenthood and ask if they do this or know of a low cost clinic in your area.

Shawn98
08-02-2005, 11:11 PM
this is why the USA is BS. seriously think about this for amin. a i live in USA so i am not bashing this country. but if you have amole that needs removed and is suspicious and osmones life can depend on this u NEED FREAKING MONEY to make sure ur ok? GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR this country sucks with healthcare....canada rules on this topic for sure. If i was a doctor id freaking pay for it.....all bout money..

Shawn98
08-02-2005, 11:13 PM
lindsay whats your mole look like? why did u have it checked out? is it black odd shaped? details...if it really stands out they should make it an emergency, kinda like when u go to the ER u dont have to pay right then and there. u pay later. or they should do a payment plan with u, ask about that.

Belle2003
08-03-2005, 12:08 AM
The ER would cost double, maybe triple than the regular dermatologist.
Plus when you go to the ER they take the most critical patients first. Lindsay would be waiting there forever for her turn. I know first hand because I had to take my daughter to the ER in July. Ambulances kept arriving (a busy Friday night) and the waiting room was packed. It was two hours before she was seen. She was admitted ahead of others because she had a confirmed blood clot. When we got out, another 2 hours later, the lady sitting next to us in the waiting room was still there waiting for her turn to go in. She was a hospital employee who was hurt on the job.

Lindsay04
08-03-2005, 04:07 PM
I have had this mole for as long as I can remember. It is slightly larger than a pencil eraser and oval shaped. It's dark brown and raised in the center and lighter around the edges.It is pretty much the only mole I have. I have a few other moles on my arms, but they are all small. I had it looked at by my doctor and he said that it didn't look bad, but he wasn't an expert in skin cancer or moles so he said I should go see a dermatologist. I really don't think the mole has changed, but it might have grown over time. My mother thinks that it's looked that way for as long as she can remember, but she wanted me to get it checked. I can pay for a dermatologist but I was just wondering how much it cost, because they told me they couldn't quote prices over the phone. So I really don't know how much money to bring. I think it's really stupid that you have to pay that all up front, but yet they can't tell you how much it will cost. I agree with shawn that united states health care sucks. I just got off my parents insurance last year and it seems like as soon as the happened the doctor's offices start treating me like ****.

Belle2003
08-03-2005, 11:23 PM
You should really consider getting some kind of medical insurance. When you are young it is not a tremendous amount each month. It could be anywhere between $200 and $300 per month. You never know if you are going to get sick, or seriously sick, have gynecological problems or be in an accident of some sort. Then if you do, you are screwed.

A first time visit to the dermatologist without insurance can run you $150 and up. Then if you have a biopsy, which is considered surgery, add on another $200 or more. Then to have the mole analyzed for cancer, you can tack on another $100 to $200.

The cost of ignoring a possible cancerous mole is even higher.

Now I live in California, so I don't know if doctor visits here are higher than the rest of the United States.

If this dermatologist office cannot give estimates, then call a dermatologist who knows what they charge. They are obviously not with it at the one you called.

In the meantime, think about getting health insurance. Once you find out something is wrong with you and then you try to get insurance, the insurance company can easily deny you. As it is, the insurance companies are picky about taking new members who have gone without insurance. I don't know why.

Good luck on the mole and let us know the results.

Zvezdas
08-06-2005, 06:49 PM
a little off topic but a few "Communist" countries like Yugoslavia had everything payed for, especially healthcare, EVEN prescriptions and most over the counter drugs.