PDA

View Full Version : Dr. writes 1/3 of state's prescriptions for Oxycontin arrested

joanharvest
08-26-2005, 10:24 AM
I read this in the news today. A doctor wrote 5,756 prescriptions for hydrocodone in 19 months. They arrested him and took his license away. He was an addict himself and also wrote 1/3 of the state's prescriptions for oxycontin last year. I live in this state and am very happy to see someone like him go down. Many of these prescriptions were written to young people. The town this Doctor was in, is only a couple of towns away from us. My son says he knows that some of the pills he bought came from this doctor. It's doctors like him that ruin it also for people who actually need the drug.

thghtsreal
08-26-2005, 10:29 AM
I read this in the news today. A doctor wrote 5,756 prescriptions for hydrocodone in 19 months. They arrested him and took his license away. He was an addict himself and also wrote 1/3 of the state's prescriptions for oxycontin last year. I live in this state and am very happy to see someone like him go down. Many of these prescriptions were written to young people. The town this Doctor was in, is only a couple of towns away from us. My son says he knows that some of the pills he bought came from this doctor. It's doctors like him that ruin it also for people who actually need the drug.

See, there is the problem. HOW can one doctor build up an Oxy sales business so HUGE that he is prescribing 1/3 of the state's total Oxy prescriptions?

Now, Purdue Pharma (the company that manufactures and markets Oxycontin) knew darned well that this guy was one of their star performers, but they did nothing to stop him or investigate him or slow him down OR, if they did it was after a lot of damage had been done. Even kids in neighboring towns knew about this guy.

The industry has to do a better job of policing themselves or laws have to be passed to strictly monitor and restrict the sale of these powerful opiates.

froggirl
08-26-2005, 11:23 AM
I don't suppose that this happened in Florida...that would make my year if it was the same doc that kept prescribing me vicoden 10's for 8 years. In the mean time, I'm suing him and I'm not resting till I have his head on a platter!

feelbad
08-27-2005, 07:04 AM
Froggirl,can i ask just what you are suing this doc for?just really curious.you do not have to answer if you don't want to.marcia

Felicia65
08-27-2005, 07:11 AM
The devil comes in all forms.... WHY? was he getting money from people addicted/ or maybe the pills for him self. DID the news paper say. What did he gain from doing such a evil thing.

Dave53
08-27-2005, 07:52 AM
This tells me that your system seems to be working. You can't bust a doctor until he's broken the law. This guy went bad and then was caught within 19 months. That's not too bad. Also keep in mind that this guy himself was an addict. No junkie is ever responsible about anything in any way concerning drugs. This guy was likely so messed up near the end that he was practicing medicine when wasted. That's a scary thought. It should have been up to his nurses or colleagues (or patients if he had any non addicts) to turn him in. Not Purdue or DEA.

thghtsreal
08-28-2005, 12:48 PM
This tells me that your system seems to be working. You can't bust a doctor until he's broken the law. This guy went bad and then was caught within 19 months. That's not too bad. Also keep in mind that this guy himself was an addict. No junkie is ever responsible about anything in any way concerning drugs. This guy was likely so messed up near the end that he was practicing medicine when wasted. That's a scary thought. It should have been up to his nurses or colleagues (or patients if he had any non addicts) to turn him in. Not Purdue or DEA.

There is only one organization that knew for sure exactly how much Oxy this guy was selling and that was the company who was supplying the drugs he was selling and prescribing. His nurses or colleagues or maybe even a patient or two might have had some idea that he was writing a lot of scripts, but only the company that sold the drugs to him knew for sure and he had to have lit up their radar screen with that big of a sales record.

You are correct that this doctor posed a danger to his patients and to the community he served for over a year and a half. However, the company that sold the whopping amount of drugs through this one doctor does have an ethical responsibility to either advise the authorities of his activities or investigate on their own. Oxy is becoming too much of a problem. I think that laws have to be put in place to control the distribution and sale of this incredibly addictive and life-destructive opiate.

Wayward_Sun
08-28-2005, 06:01 PM
This is a common response, but the problem isnt fixed by adding more laws, the existing laws are more than clear and punitive. The problem, is that the regulatory divisions of the DEA are undermanned---literally, the reason it takes awhile to notice is there is not enough manpower to continually track *Red Flags* that pop up. AND, law enforcement cannot possibly be expected to take care of everything, especially when it would be more effective to get the companies to be more responsible (which seems to be even harder, and that is SAD).

"Adding another law" is something politicians do to make it appear they are taking care of a problem, but half the time the "law" was fine to begin with, and the real problem---a problem with the process---is overshadowed by the politicians CYA "new laws." Then we hear on TV that "despite the new law this problem has been increasing..." etc.

No doubt that prescription abuse has become a problem, but that is happening even with laws in place! More oversight is often required, and might be in these situations. Of course, that leads to the problem of "Doctor Witchhunts" because once the situation was under scrutiny, the oversight sector would have to justify its existence, and then it affects the legitimate side of pain sufferers. I think all of this falls under the "Red Tape" category, and thats a shame....because sometimes the government shouldnt have to be the only responsible entity.

Thgtsreal makes a very valid point: The beancounters at the Pharm companies might notice this kind of thing faster than law enforcement! Since the DEA is always going to have its manpower affected by politics and/or administrations, perhaps there should be some mandatory regulation enforced on the pharm companies themselves to monitor the "Red Flag" situations. Adding another law wouldnt accomplish anything by itself, but requiring Pharm companies to more closely monitor their week to week sales would be a huge step!

Law Enforcement cannot be the only responsible sector involved here. Example: A drug cartel sells its drugs, and law enforcement is responsible for trying to keep track of it. A pharm company sells its drugs, and law enforcement is responsible for keeping track of it. Huh? Why is there no regulation AT the corporate level??

Of course, I cant see any kind of "Bush Administration" type telling corporations to be more responsible--especially if it means spending more of their own money--but thats a key point. Im sure they would just love another law added so they can claim they did something, and wash their hands of it. Meanwhile, nothing would change. Putting more responsibility in the companies court would accomplish alot more than another failed "War on Drugs" by the government, where pages and pages of laws were added yet abuse rates of most drugs steadily increased.

spark-o-cet
08-28-2005, 06:17 PM
the drug company would not have no idea how many or much oxycontin this dr was prescribing unless every drug store called and reported every script and this wont happen.quit blamin drug companys for things they did or didnt do.when you get a script you have to get it filled at a drug store so there is no way the company would be able to keep track of the amount of scripts unless every drug store in that state called in on a daily basis.-spark

Dave53
08-28-2005, 09:30 PM
Hi Spark-O-Cet. You are absolutely right. Thanks for making the point.

spark-o-cet
08-29-2005, 02:32 AM
hey dave how goes it today with ya,fine i hope.just thought i would holler at ya this morning-spark

Dave53
08-29-2005, 08:13 AM
Hi Spark. Thanks for the morning greeting. All's fine. And with you too I hope. Keep smiling. Dave

Arememom
09-03-2005, 09:37 PM
I bet there is a doctor like this in every state. My ex-boyfriend was referred to a doctor because he was known for giving your prescriptions for what ever you wanted. He documented very well in your chart to cover himself. Unfortunately for my ex-boyfriend over the course of 6 years (steadily increasing amounts each month) hes now prescribing Oxycontin 80mg - 90 tabs/month, Ativan 1 mg enough each month to take 1 every 6 hours and Methadone ?mg 180 tabs every month and more. Needless to say he became addicted. Then graduated to Crack. Now he sells all his meds to buy crack. I never took the pills but unfortunately somehow I did start smoking crack with him. I've been clean 16 days!! Yeah!!!! My point is no patient needs that all the meds that MD prescribed for my ex. It's a shame that people get really addicted to prescribed meds due to over prescribing by doctors.

bluejulie5
09-04-2005, 09:49 AM
I live in Kansas
and I had a Dr. here who would happily prescribe me
Hydrocodone every month.
That , in my opinion is how I got addicted.
I was having headaches and Menstural cramps.
He should not have prescribed the hydro. in the first
place for that, in my opinion.
Although I loved it at the time,(getting high on pills)
I hate him now .
I was able to go months and months without even
a check up. He would just call the scripts in for me.

Sammiejoe
09-04-2005, 07:54 PM
It seems to me like doctors and pharmaceutical companies are being blamed for people becoming addicted to pain meds and that's another example of placing blame on everyone but the addict. These meds are clearly marked with warnings that they are habit forming. It's like a catch 22 for docs who get blamed for not prescribing adequate pain relief and then being sued when they do. If someone has a history of drug abuse in their family, they should be honest about it and then the appropriate medicines can be given. Just because someone in pain takes narcotics to have a better quality of life doesn't mean their an addict. But, if someone goes doctor shopping and takes a 30 day supply of meds in 10 days and then lies to their doc the next month so they can get more, then whose to blame???
It's the same thing with cigerattes, if you started smoking within the past twenty years then you know the risk associated with tobacco and if you chose to smoke then you have to accept responsibility.

Arememom
09-05-2005, 11:29 AM
Sammiejoe - As I read your message I began to think more. You are absolutely right about our choice to use. If you're going to use, you will find the drugs illegally if need be. As a medical professional I guess I just expect MD's to be more responsible. But who am I to talk, I never took pills. But even worse, I'm a crack addict. Thanks for making me think.

Sammiejoe
09-05-2005, 12:52 PM
Arememom, Thanks for your reply. I was hoping that nobody would take my response the wrong way. I just get so mad when I read people blaming their doctors for them becoming addicted to pain medicine. As a chronic pain sufferer, I know how hard it is for many of us to get the appropriate pain relief, because doctors are afraid to get sued or have their license taken away by the DEA. For the most part, doctors are very cautious when prescribing narcotic pain meds because they can be addicting. I have never been to a doctor that just hands me whatever I want. Most people in pain management have to jump through many hoops before getting into a program. Many patients have to sign medication contracts and take drug test whenever the doctor wants and if for any reason they aren't in strict compliance with their agreement, then they are terminated from treatment.
On the other hand, I'm sure there are some bad doctors out there that just hand out prescriptions to anyone, but, they are few and far between and the DEA eventually catches up to them. Most people addicted are taking pills illegally. They doc shop &they buy them off the street. Do you think that a doc would continue to prescribe narcotics to a patient if they told the doc that they see 5 different docs a month for pain meds or if they admitted they buy them off the street?? I know people that are addicted to pain meds and none of them are honest with their doctors. Then when they decide their sick of being addicted and they get clean they blame their doctors for giving them the medicine. This is a subject that is very important to me because I suffer from terrible pain and I need to take pain meds to be able to have a life and get out of bed. But, I don't abuse my meds or my docs. I don't take more pills then prescribed and I hope someday that a cure can be found for my pain, but, until then I'm stuck taking the meds and when so many people abuse pain meds it makes it hard for legitimate pain sufferers to get treatment.

pjcat
09-07-2005, 02:55 PM
SammieJoe...exactly you nailed it on the head :D I was actually going to really do an in-depth comment on this thread...but you really summed up what i was going to say. ;)

The only thing I can think of to add is this: though I personally have never taken pills for anything, I have struggled off and on with alcohol. I recognize this as MY problem, and in no way blame anything or anyone else for this. The problem is there are so many pill addicts who dont do this. They blame their doctor for over-prescription, drug companies, etc. etc. There comes a point where personal responsibility comes to play. The problem too is that its these people who make it harder for people who really do need the painkillers and who use them correctly, to get them. And the politician response to just increase laws is a joke cause this will also just make it harder for people who really need the pills to get them; and people who just want to abuse the pills will still be able to get them anyway through illegal means.

The majority of people I know who take pain meds (mostly take them after surgery or wisdom teeth removal) only take the recommended dosage and sometimes dont even take the meds, they manage their pain through other means or just take OTC advil or tylenol. And I personally have never known a doctor who would even prescribe painkillers unless it WAS for serious surgery and even then they would closely monitior the dosage.

But anyway, this is just my two cents :)

I think the bigger picture involved here though is the prescription drug industry in general and all the problems/politics associated with them. But alas, this will have to be saved for another time and place.