PDA

View Full Version : Can Squamous Cell grow back in 3 months?

curlyhead
08-27-2005, 06:32 PM
Hi folks,

Had squamous cell in my nail bed/nail matrix. Had 3 levels of Mohs at the end of May 05..surgeon took the skin down to bone..the last level had margin so they didn't have to amputate.
So I've been growing back my finger.. and looking forward.and Friday morning I saw a wartlike growth underneath my nail..looked very much like the cancer. About a month ago..i saw some slightly weird skin in that area but the plastic surgeon who's not a cancer guy said that the cancer usually doesn't grow back that fast. It was my understanding that squamous is a slow growing cancer. Three months if it indeed is cancer again?
The percentage of recurrence for squamous in the finger is 26% because of the HPV connection and the tricky architecture.

The Mohs surgeon said at the time he was 85% sure he got it all.. because it's tricky in the finger.
So I called my dermatologist and her nurse ..i have no idea what the nurse said because of her really thick accent..i tried to get her to repeat words.. i called back later only to get the same nurse who proceeded to connect me with the doc only to have me disconnected. But I did get an appointment for first thing Monday.
Trouble is I'm having a bad weekend. I've been trying to research on net..but i can't find anything about how fast skin cancer grows back. Maybe it's just another for the weird growth in exactly the same place since I have scar tissue on the nail bed..it's all weird.
Anyway, everyone is on vacation in my life right now.Suppose to go to a party tonight but ..i don't know..not in the mood. but i shouldn't mope..but i really don't feel like it.. okay anyone out there on saturday night that might have experience on this?
Thanks in advance,
Curlyhead

Belle2003
08-28-2005, 01:00 AM
I am sorry to hear that something new is growing on your finger. I understand your frustration and worry. Try not to think about it. I know that it is hard to do. After I had MOHS on my nose, less than a year later I had another skin cancer under my eye. I have since become very paranoid about every little bump on my face.

I hope Sunday flies by so you can drop in at the doctor's office and speak to someone who has no accent.

curlyhead
08-28-2005, 02:43 AM
thanks for your wise words...

smithn
08-28-2005, 06:26 AM
It could have returned, yes. You have to keep busy until you know for sure, tomorrow! You can't let this stop your life or get your spirits down to the point where you don't want to go anywhere or see your friends. Through good or bad times, we all need one another and our friends (and most family) are there, caring for us. Try to keep your life going as you normally would because you are doing everything you can be doing as far as treatment goes. Good luck with your appt. tomorrow!