PDA

View Full Version : Radiation "therapy"....

nantiques
09-25-2005, 07:18 AM
Hi,
I need some input/advice from anyone out there who is knowledgeable in radiation treatment.
About 5 years ago, my husband underwent radiation therapy on his nose for skin cancer (BCC). To this day, he still gets nose bleeds due to the interior tissues of his nostrils NEVER healing. They destroyed the inner tissues of his nose.
What I'd like to know is: is this NORMAL??

Thank you for your help,
Nancy

Belle2003
09-26-2005, 06:02 PM
I have not heard of anyone having radiation treatments to cure BCC. I had MOHS done on my nose.

I would consult his dermatologist or the doctor who did the treatments. Recurring bleeding is a symptom of BCC.

Ga Lady
10-22-2005, 11:58 AM
They do infact still do radiation therapy for BCC and radiation does have it's drawbacks. I would call the derm who done the radiation and ask for some medication to heal that area. It could be a reoccurrance but in all likely hood it's probably the dang ole effects of the therapy!

lonershark
09-29-2007, 10:09 AM
I was diagnosed with bcc (got results back friday and scheduled for radiation monday) but with all that I am reading on this forum, it sounds like most people with bcc perfer mohs surgery. could someone tell me what the pro's and con's of each are? This is my first bout with any type of cancer and I am concerned.

gd3585
10-02-2007, 02:46 PM
I would get a second opinion. I was diagnosed with BCC in Feb of this year and had MOHs surgery… I was quoted a 97% success rate with MOH’s (make sure the Doctor is MOH’s certified). Mind you the surgery was intrusive and required reconstruction afterwards. I am currently undergoing radiation therapy because there was nerve involvement and all the Doctors concurred it was in my best interest due to my age.

Personally, I preferred the surgery over the Radiation.

Also, I’ve come to find out there are different types of radiation… I was scheduled to undergo it months ago and backed out after I was advised that the treatment would cause such excruciating pain inside my nose that it would take narcotics to control. Believe it or not the Doctor said “it’s only for 6 weeks”. That was on a one direction beam machine… the one I’m currently undergoing is a multi directional. The current team of Doctors actually made a computer model for my treatment determining where and what effects the ‘scatter radiation’ would have. Suggestion, ASK!!

Also, ask if an MRI is appropriate… after Radiation (or surgery) you’ll no longer have a baseline which can lead to some unnecessary treatments in the future.

Just started my Third week of treatment