PDA

View Full Version : yoga for health benefits

cad2
11-03-2005, 06:17 AM
I have done yoga on and off for a couple of years, and now I would like to get in to it a bit more seriously. I have been lifting weights for a while and want to give them up and try yoga everyday. Has anyone done this, I would really like to experience the health benefits everyone talks about>

degen95
11-17-2005, 12:28 PM
i do yoga somewhat regularly (4-6 times per week). some say a solid practice is all you need. if you do ashtanga or power, you WILL get a good workout in and you feel much better afterwards than any other type of exercise.

it is somewhat expensive to go to a studio on a regular basis so in time you may need to develop your own home practice (even if you can afford to pay indefinitely, a home practice is still good) to complement the studio practice and to keep getting ideas.

gemma16
11-20-2005, 06:16 PM
I also practice hatha yoga. Though I am beginner, just started two years ago, and I am not the most disciplined. It is expensive, but I am able to do it through my school for about $2 a class! Maybe you should look into some colleges near you and see what they offer. I recently started Bikram yoga and have found it to be a good experience. It is a little too hard on my body though, I sweat a lot in general and 90 minutes in 100 F room completely dehydrates me. Just practicing sun salutations for 30 minutes a day or some other series would give you a good workout.

Yeah, the yoga glow is really great!

WendyHarris2
11-22-2005, 03:49 PM
If you like yoga and are looking for a great workout, I've been doing this Susan Powter Trailer Park Yoga that just kicks my a** in the morning. I love it. It's helped me loose about 30 pounds so far and it's in my regiment to loose 40 more. Just a thought to ponder.
love
wendy

cad2
12-19-2005, 06:48 AM
I wanted to update, that I have been doing yoga for a little over a month seriously, I have praticed on and off for a few years but nothing on a daily basis. Well I have to say I do love it. I have never felt so relaxed and energized at the same time and my body is changing. I was adancer for many years and doing ballet kept me in great shape, well the old dancers body is coming back but I am even more flexable than I was. I do pratice 30 mins a day I use a couple of different books. I also take a class to make sure I am doing everything right> I am so suprised at the changes that are happening to me. I also do my cardio and weights but I think the yoga is giving me more benefits then either one of those. I will progress up to astanga yoga after a while. I love yoga.

Traweaver3
01-04-2006, 01:34 PM
I have come to love yoga too. I started taking classes this summer and now attend about 3 times a week for hour long classes. I do sun salutations at home on my off days. I have had back surgery and have found yoga is my key to staying limber. The physical therapist gave me a bunch of boring stretches that I am suppose to do daily, but never did. Yoga is much more interesting and I really enjoy it. I am not sure of the differences between the different kinds of yoga, but know that since I have added it to my daily routine I am a better person, physically and mentally. :) GO YOGA! hehe

cad2
01-20-2006, 05:12 PM
I feel the same way I feel like I am a more balanced person, and it also controls my appetite, I just feel like eating very healthy and not to over eat, my body is long and lean so much different than weights, I never could do more than 10 push ups since yoga I can do 30 no problem. HAIL YOGA!!!!!

*DottieGirl*
03-11-2006, 11:59 PM
Yes, practicing Yoga will change your body. And if you keep doing it, it will continue to change your body. I haven't done Yoga in a long time, but when I was doing it my body was fully trimmed and lean. My muscles were in great shape - I walked straighter, my back felt great, and my abs were completely flat. Yoga is one of the best things you can ever do for yourself, and if I had the time, I would certainly do it regulary again. I'm in pretty good shape still, because I work out 5 days a week at the gym. But that's not a substitute for Yoga - beats anything the gym can do for you in a heartbeat. Pilates is also very much like Yoga. I have a pilates video at home, and I do that sometimes too. I need to get back into it.