PDA

View Full Version : How to Get In to See a Dermatologist Quick

pittguy578
11-16-2005, 03:08 AM
This is in response to the post below. I am going to see a general practioner on this week. However, the more I read the more I should probably be going to see a dermatologist. However, I called around to them and asked for an appointment and most can't take me for well over a month. I asked them if there is any way I could just come in for a screening (even for 5 minutes) just to set my mind at ease, and they gave me the same answer.

. So I am stuck going to a PCP, a highly regarded one at that. They said that if my doctor called and explained the emergency then I could get in sooner. So should I pull a nutty at the PCP to get into see the derm? this is just frustrating, especially when someone's life is at stake. Months can make the difference between life and death. I know they are busy, but what can the layperson do in the meantime to get into see someone and at least see if further action is needed:( This really stinks. I am not asking them for an excision, just to look at it for 5 minutes. Yoi!

wakkochic17
11-16-2005, 08:02 AM
first off.. what is the issue at hand? Is it an unusual mole or something? A general practioner can take moles off and have them biopsied.. what would happen is they would do the biopsy and if something further is needed, they would call a dermatologist for you and get you in (it's always easier to get a quick appointment when your doctor calls versus you calling directly). If it's another issue, get them to look at it (the GP) and they can determine whether it needs prompt attention, in which they would call the dermatologist and get you in quickly if it does.

pittguy578
11-16-2005, 10:00 AM
I am seeing a dermatologist today.
The local University, University of Pittsburgh had openings in their access clinic which does screenings. I will have an answer by end of day. I am betting its nothing but I will set my mind at ease. I have a high anxiety level and it makes things that much worse.