PDA

View Full Version : A little Scared

pittguy578
11-16-2005, 12:47 PM
How upfront are doctors?

I was able to see the dermatologist today. The first doctor at the university thought my back was fine
And then the other doctor came in and recommended a biopsy on one of my moles so they cut it out.The first doctor advised me this was just a precaution and it didnít look like something serious. It appeared to him to be an atypical nevi. He said he has seen dozens of those. He also said I should be extra careful about my moles since I have a lot of them. (monthly inspection) The thing is the mole I was concerned about is nothing according to the doctor. This is one I missed. One of the pitfalls of a hairy back..
I may invest in a nice digital camera this evening to keep a record of my back to be sure.

They let me look at it. It was round and pink. It didnít look irregular or jagged or something scary like I have seen on the net. Any thoughts? This is going to be the longest two weeks of my life, no joking.

Do they let you know if itís something serious? Or do they sugar coat everything.? Just wondering.

Belle2003
11-16-2005, 04:18 PM
They should call you one way or the other on the biopsy. If you do not hear from them within two weeks, be sure to call and follow up. Do not assume, "No news is good news". Doctor offices get busy and can forget to follow up.

Be happy that this mole was biopsyed. My view is that it is one less mole I have to worry about. It sounds like it could possibly be a basal cell carcinoma, but who knows, it could be nothing.

pittguy578
11-16-2005, 05:46 PM
The one doctor said it was probably nothing more than an atypical nevi or at least had a strong suspcision that it was nothing more than that. The other doctor concurred, but wanted to be sure. Neither of them believed it was melanoma.

I asked my family members if anyone in my family ever had melanoma and no one in my family ever had it. My grandfather had basil cell carcinoma, but that was after he had prostate cancer and may have had a weakened immune system and also he was out in the sun nearly every day for 74 years-he was a workaholic always working outside.

I have been taking alot of supplements in the meantime prior to screening (to detoxify my body from effects of secondhand smoke) including curcumin, coq10, a, e, c, Green Tea Extract, Ginseng, Grape seed extract, lycopene, and selenium. I am now taking flax seed oil on top of that. So I am maybe a little nuts, but I don't want to take any chances with this stuff.

pittguy578
11-17-2005, 04:15 PM
Thank you GA Lady:) I am feeling a little better today. I found out that the doctor who initially thought it was nothing is a very smart doctor. He graduated from Harvard and did extensive research on Melanoma while in med school so I am guessing I will be ok. I got a new digital camera today, and I am going to ask a family member to photograph my back once a month. I can look at my front with no problem:) I am more concerned about my back. I may also ask my PCP on Tuesday if I can have those other atypical moles removed just to be safe. I don't care about scarring.

Ga Lady
11-19-2005, 05:49 AM
Your welcome. And I am glad your feeling better. And yes your dr sounds very educated. I wasn't concerned about scarring either. They could have taken my arm off at the time of my diagnosis. I wouldn't of cared a bit. Even tho, after my wide local excision I looked deformed at first, now...it looks like I have a pretty bad "battle scar" with no deformity to my arm. I call it my "reminder" to stay out of the sun, wear sunscreen if I need too and to check my skin reminder!

pittguy578
11-19-2005, 07:10 AM
I am lucky to live near one of the best cancer centers in the country, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center. I feel blessed by circumstances.

And thanks for your recommendations GA lady. I never knew you worked in a dermatologist office. Your insights have calmed my fears a great deal.

Ga Lady
11-19-2005, 08:27 AM
I actually got the job during my surgery for melanoma! LOL! Isn't that odd? Surgery in July and gave my previous job a two week notice and went to work for them in Aug. I am still learning about other skin conditions but I am very up on Melanoma.( REMOVED ) I come here to help with words of advice ( REMOVED ) for newly diagnosed. I am glad to be of assistance to you! God Bless!