PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to clear Sinuses without Meds?

Inferit
11-17-2005, 01:07 PM
The meds for clearing nasal congestion kicks my butt! I get too dizzy and very jittery to a point where I just have to lay down (usually sleep). My friend's Dad told me to sniff salt water... But hes always joking around, me and my friend dont know if hes serious or not..
Hot drinks, spicy foods, and hot showers help for about 20-40 minutes but they just come back. Anyone know of any way to clear a sinus congestion without Meds? Does salt water really work? I would hate to sniff salt water only to see my friends Dad laugh at me.....

Thanks.

radiant_girl
11-17-2005, 04:45 PM
I have used salt water many times to help clear my sinuses. It's a little uncomfortable, but a lot better than dealing with nasty sinus problems!

I normally make a salt water solution with warm water and either lay back and put it in my nose with an eyedropper or snort it from a bowl. (Snorting seems to work the best for me.) I normally either lay back or hang my head upside down off the bed/couch to let the solution drain into the areas near the forehead.

When you sit up, have kleenex ready, because it usually comes rushing back out. :) You may have to do this a few times over a few hours or days, but it seems to work pretty well for me. I think besides being good for healing infections, the salt also helps to pull the junk downward.

I've also had luck with filling a large bowl full of boiling water and Ben-Gay, and then sticking a towel over my head and the bowl, and sitting there for a while. Be careful not to burn your face, though.

Good luck!

Harry
11-17-2005, 06:56 PM
The best way I have found is use a Grossan Hydro-Pulse that irrigates your sinus/ nasal cavities. Cost about $100 online

Inferit
11-18-2005, 08:38 AM
Thanks for the reply!

I'm interested in the salt water but it just seems weird too me. Is it going to hurt when I do it for the first time? Can I do it as many times as I like or will this caouse some problems?

thanks!

Inferit
11-18-2005, 09:11 AM
SON OF A!!!!
OW OW OW!!

That was horrable! but I think its working....

Man, that is going to be hard to get used too if it helps my sinuses.

I just used regular warm water and regular salt. I think my eyes watered more than my nose. Is this suppose to hurt this much, maybe I used too much salt? I did a trial test with just warm water, that wasnt too bad. So I tried with salt next :eek:

Anyways, I'm thankful for the info. Its worth the pain to clear up my nose. I can't beleive how well its working! This is AWESOME, I can BREATH!!

Thanks soooooo much!

jimmielegs
11-18-2005, 09:21 AM
2% saline solution is recommended, so yu may have used too much salt. I figure you used the snort method because you couldn't have run out and purchased SinuCleanse in the 30 minutes between my last post and yours above, lol.

Truly, it shouldn't hurt. I am glad, however, that it is helping with the congestion.

Inferit
11-18-2005, 09:29 AM
Yeah I figured I'd give it a try before I went out and spent more money on meds.

I'm sorry, can u explain to me what you mean by 2% saline solution? I have no idea what that means.

Thanks.

hyper79
11-18-2005, 10:05 AM
The best way I have found is use a Grossan Hydro-Pulse that irrigates your sinus/ nasal cavities. Cost about $100 online
i ve used a syringe for a while for flushing, and like harry stated the hydro pulse is the best way to go, ive had mine for 5 months i use it daily,its great comes with 2 nasel tips,two for the throat, and adjustable pressure settings.i use salt and a pinch of baking powder to cut down the acid in the solution. this thing helps

Inferit
11-18-2005, 10:22 AM
Hydro-Pulse better work for that price!

Thats just way too much money for me to be spending on my sinus. I dont understand why anyone would spend that much on a sinus congestion. Wouldn't it be cheaper to just go to the doctors and get some sample and maybe a prescription? That might be good for someone with cronic sinus. But for me this is from a virus I had cought about a month ago. I assume it will eventally go away. Its just annoying right now.

hyper79
11-18-2005, 10:38 AM
ive tried every steroid spray on the market, allegra, zyrtec, allergy shots, sinus surgery,mri's, ct's a sinus infection every 2 to 3 weeks for years,after i think $12,000 in bills over a ten year time frame a hundred dollar machine was the only thing that helped. mine was cronic had hospital stays ,out of work 36 days the first of this year, 2000mg of augmitten daily for a month??if yours is not a cronic thing a simple baby syringe from the drug store,8oz or warm water no more than 100 degrees,1/2 teaspoon of salt, the key is half as salty as sea water. to much salt will burn and dry out your sinus cavities,"not good"tilt your head and slowly squeeze the solution in,both sides.after your finished dont blow your nose too hard seeing that can cause irritation.flushing clears infection and washes away bacteria on the cilica which is you noses filters. hope this helps

Inferit
11-18-2005, 11:49 AM
Yeah that helps a lot.

Right now I have had cleared Sinuses for about a couple hours. When should I take some more salt water. Do I just take when needed, like whenever I get congested again? Also i'm concerned this might not be good for me. I read some sites that say not to use regular table salt for the congestion and some sites say its fine to use. I really want to keep using it, seeing how its working well.

Anyways, thx again for all the helpful info everyone!

hyper79
11-18-2005, 12:59 PM
i have heard of table salt, celtic sea salt, and the otc saline wash.ive always used table salt seemed to do ok.my ent told me to do regular daily flushes, but if im really stopped up to use a 12 otc nasel spray to open them up before flushing.hot rag holding over your sinus area helps, as well as a china method of standing upside down, i wouldnt flush to often no more than twice daily because of the drying affect and not before bedtime because the water can stand in your maxillary cavities in your mid upper cheek area all night, that may cause irritation.after flushing maybe 10 minutes ill hold my head down and let the excess water flow out,i learned that the hard way, had company over one night maybe 20 min after a flushing bent over one of my friends to get something, all over him it went like a faucet. LOL :D

Inferit
11-18-2005, 01:26 PM
Ewww lol

Thanks again, i'll use that advice :)

jimmielegs
11-18-2005, 01:33 PM
2% solution is something I got from the SinuCleanse. Even if you want to make it simple and use a bulb syringe.

A bulb syringe is just as effective as the SinuCleanse neti-pot. The only reason to buy the pot is that it comes with pre-measured salt that's ground really fine for easier mixing.

REMOVED

sneezydiva
11-18-2005, 04:15 PM
I discovered this post a bit late, but glad to hear it is helping you. To make a solution that doesn't hurt use 1/2 to1 teapoon of salt to 8 oz of water. Also, to help the sting add 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda.

Like Jimmielegs said, an ear bulb is a cheap and effective way to get the salt up your nose. But after you get over your infection, just throw it away.
They are difficult to clean, and you don't want mold growth in there.

jennyVee
11-20-2005, 05:58 PM
hi i use the neilman sinus rinse its pretty good, it comes with a bottle for rinsing plus 100 packets of some mixture for sinuses.

the bad thing is that i used it while having a sinus infection ad i m having an ear ache form the pressure of teh rinse, so if used hile an infection is ggoing on is not a good idea.

jennyVee
11-20-2005, 06:00 PM
also i heard that a few drops cayenne pepper extract up the nose clears and drains it, havent tried it though :o

Inferit
11-21-2005, 02:53 PM
Update:

Well a few days ago I bought Sinucleanse at walgreens. I been using it 2-3 times a day for 3 days now. I'm not sure if its working. After I use the Sinuclease I do feel a little better, but after a hour or so it gets all clogged up again. I dont think my Sinus is infected. I don't really know how to tell if it is infected though.. I would imagine I'd be in a lot of pain if it was infected. How long do you guys suspect it will take for this Sinucleanse to get rid of my sinuses? I mean, its been 1 month and 1 week now. Do sinuses usually last this long? Sorry if these questions sound dumb, but I don't remember that last time I has a sinus infection... I think I had one when I was real young. Also I had a virus (upper respitory infection) that trigged my sinus to act up, is this common for someone who never really had a sinus congestion before?

Anyways, I appreciate all the feedback I got from you guys. Makes me feel a lot better to talk to people about it :)

Any more info you can add on my questions would be great!
Thanks again!

jennyVee
11-21-2005, 03:20 PM
hi i know when i have a sinus infection because of the yelow discharge cming form my nose/ also sinus pressure an ear pain, hope that helps

Inferit
11-21-2005, 03:47 PM
Thanks jennyVee

I dont have anything coming from my nose, im way too stuffed up. After I use Sinucleanse I blow out clear stuff. I don't know if its the junk stuffing me up or the Sinucleanse solution, maybe a little of both.. but its all clear color. I have some minor pressure, it was really bad a few weeks ago. The pressure was so bad it was making me dizzy i think. Right now I dont get dizzy or fell pressure really. I'm just all stuffed up. If I try to blow my nose hard my ear pops but I think thats normal becouse my nose is stuffed.

So for the most part I think I can safely say I don't have an infection. (?)

I just don't understand what is taking so long (1 moth 1 weeks so far) for my nose to clear up. :confused:

jennyVee
11-21-2005, 05:46 PM
Hi I dnt know but that neilmed also gets my nose so stuffy, not sure if i shoul even use it, you would think that it would econgest the nose.

radiant_girl
11-22-2005, 09:36 PM
Holy WOW, I don't think I would put cayenne up my nose!!!!

Sorry I haven't been back until now to reply to your posts...I did forget to mention that if you use too much salt it can tend to burn a bit. Sorry! :)

I've just used regular table salt, and that seems to work fine for me. However, I don't know how much you could use that rinse without it starting to irritate the lining of your nose. If it's working ok for you, though, I guess that's all that matters.

jennyVee
11-23-2005, 07:30 AM
hahahahah! I didnt have the nerve to put that up my nose either but thats what someone suggested hahahahah

lucky charms
11-23-2005, 09:37 PM
hahahahah! I didnt have the nerve to put that up my nose either but thats what someone suggested hahahahah
Oh my goodness..I couldnt stand having anything up my nose

sneezydiva
12-02-2005, 07:55 AM
Thanks jennyVee

I dont have anything coming from my nose, im way too stuffed up. After I use Sinucleanse I blow out clear stuff. I don't know if its the junk stuffing me up or the Sinucleanse solution, maybe a little of both.. but its all clear color. I have some minor pressure, it was really bad a few weeks ago. The pressure was so bad it was making me dizzy i think. Right now I dont get dizzy or fell pressure really. I'm just all stuffed up. If I try to blow my nose hard my ear pops but I think thats normal becouse my nose is stuffed.

So for the most part I think I can safely say I don't have an infection. (?)

I just don't understand what is taking so long (1 moth 1 weeks so far) for my nose to clear up. :confused:

You might have allergies, which would cause you to be chronically stuffed up. Allergies are the main reason I do sinus cleanses. Allergy drainage is usually clear or milky colored.

Texcin
12-12-2005, 10:08 AM
I just came over to this site to check Y'all out. I can surely hlep you here. I use to have severe allergy/sinus/asthma problems. Now, I rarely have any. After my second sinus surgery, my surgeon gave me this advice, and now my allergist does also. I boil 4 cups of water. Add 3 tsp. sea salt (you may want to start with 2 tsp) and 1 tsp baking soda. Let it boil for 5 min. Let it cool. I keep a container in the frig. with this and use about a 1/4 c a day. Yes, EVERY morning! I irrigate my sinues with a modern , plastic Neti cup. You can still buy the Neti cups, my allergist gave me this little pink plastic one. This process should not hurt at all . When you release your finger, the flow of water should just proceed up through your sinus in one nostril and come out the other. The trick is in the tilt of your head. Your head should be upright and slightly tilted to the opposite side that you are irrigating so it can flow out the other. Afterwards, I keep leaning my head over from side to side and slightly blowing out until all the water is out. I may have to slightly blow my nose a few times in the next 30 min. to get it all out. But IT SHOULDN'T HURT at all. When I have a cold or stopped up, I might do it twice a day. I haven't had another infection since my last surgery, about 4 years ago! Good luck.

rav4grl
01-10-2006, 06:50 PM
Where do u purchase these neti pots?

Harry
01-10-2006, 07:09 PM
Any health food store should have them!!

Texcin
01-10-2006, 07:53 PM
I may be wrong , but I think even Walmart carries them.

jimmielegs
01-12-2006, 09:24 AM
Yes, I can confirm that Walgreen's does carry a neti-pot kit call Sinucleanse, which is recommended on page one of this thread.

The kit contains a plastic neti-pot (long-lasting; I've had mine for over a year) and several pre-measured salt packets. READ the instructions to use the proper ratio of water to salt, please. And, you can purchase additional salt packets separately (like, 15 packets for approx. $8 USD).

jennyVee
01-14-2006, 05:37 PM
hi the neilmed rinse is very cheap and works great i think i buy 100 packets for 9$ very good buy check on there direct site its cheaper

Lotus_Blossom
01-15-2006, 02:25 AM
Inferit,
You may try GSE(Grapefruit Seed Extract).I buy the Nutribiotic at my local HFS.It has literature included in the box that will give you directions for using it.

itburns2004
01-20-2006, 10:16 AM
I was just as CVS they have a new little kit. Sinusclear. It is 14.99 It comes with a bulb like thing and same packets. Check it out. I was looking at it for my daughter.

nanna02
01-23-2006, 03:47 AM
:) hi everyone

I have not got any sinus problem myself , but just wanted to tell you , when I was a young kid , my father told me he used to go to the beach for a swim ,

jump in to the sea and snort up the seawater then blow it out to clear out his sinuses , as he had a bad problem with them.
Reckoned it was amazing ,

so if you live near the sea , perhaps you could try this ,
...Free, costs you nothing , always available , . and by rights , the seawater should be at a tolerable temperature and correct strength for human body ..
I've never done this myself , but thought it might be another suggestion to consider .?

Good Luck .. Belle :wave: