PDA

View Full Version : Biopsy results - what does it mean?

annafcolbrie
11-17-2005, 02:41 PM
My husband was diagnosed with an "Atypical melanocytic hyperplasia" ( melanoma in situ ) 2 years ago. All of it was removed and he's been going on regular checkup's since. Today his dermatologist's office called with the same diagnosis on a biopsy he had done a couple of weeks ago. This mole did not look suspicious to his derm and the biopsy was done on my husbands request ( it was the same thing last time ). I'm concerned. Is this actually pre melanoma? If not found would something like this definately turn into melanoma?
The only high risk factors for melanoma he has is the fact that he's had these 2 diagnosis's, he rarely burn in the sun but got a lot of sun exposure as a kid ( tans very easily ). The only family history is his uncle who had premelanoma ( or something similar ) a very long time ago.
I just want to know how serious this is and if this means he's high risk for getting melanoma.
Thanks,

Anna

Ga Lady
11-18-2005, 05:30 AM
This means that your husband caught these very early. He isn't in a Stage, but just 'melanoma in situ' meaning it was "starting to turn to melanoma", He needs to watch every single mole or "weird looking freckle" ...If this makes you feel any better we have a lady that comes into our office who has had over 200 moles punched. Every single one is "pre"..not all are melanoma in situ, but your hubby is doing good and keeping them gone! Don't worry, Just make sure he keeps on task with them all!