PDA

View Full Version : A Strange Mole

bookwyrm
11-20-2005, 01:57 PM
I don't make a habit of bothering people I don't know but I was wondering if you could help me assess whether it's worth bothering my doctor, I don't want to come across as paranoid.

I am very pale skinned (with blonde eyes and pale blue eyes) I never tan-I burn very easilly even with high factor suncream on. Because of this I always avoid the sun, and am definately not a sun-worshipper (nor ever have been). I have lots of moles all over my body that range in colour from whitey pink/skin coloured, to red, to dark brown) but one particular one that I would call 'unusual' however I don't know if it would be possible to have anything wrong with it due to my lack of sun exposure to the area-it is on the underside of my arm.

I've had it all my life but it has never been as large (I put this down to general growth-I'm now in my early twenties) however it is currently larger than a centimetre across and has a jagged edge all the way round and isn't even round/symetrical anymore (it used to be). At one end of the mole there is a section that has grown into almost a triangular point across my skin (this has developed within the last year). The entire mole is raised above the surface of my skin to about 2mm at the highest down to a smaller height at other points.

Colour wise it is mostly a pale brown colour but has parts that are darker brown (almost black) and parts that are a paler livery colour. In the surrounding area there are a couple of clear/skin shaded spots/scales I don't know if this is relevent but thought should mention it.

It sometimes is itchy, but overall I have little sensation in it at all, it is for the best part 'numb'. It's quite hard to the touch and could be seen to be crusty, the overall surface is bumpy.
I think thats about it.

Thank you for your time, sorry for bothering you.

MDA
11-20-2005, 06:32 PM
Hi......and believe me no bother......... :)

My advice is rather short and to the point, but here goes...........

GET TO THE DOCTORS......Quick... PLEASE :angel:
I do not want to upset you. It is just that I lost a brother to melanoma 10 yrs ago and I know that early diagnosis and treatment is imperative!

A doctor (perferably a dermatologist) will be able to look at the area, can remove and biopsy the mole and help determine what needs to be done next. When you make the appointment please let them know that your mole has changed quite a bit. And please make time for the earliest appointment they have available.........it is very important.

Again, I don't mean to upset or worrry you......remember only a doctor can make the diagnosis. But I do miss my brother ALOT....and have become somewhat of a "crazy person" when it comes to moles.. I have been known to tell people they should have their mole looked at if the looks of their mole concerned me. But I can also say that 2 of those people, one a 13 yr old girl did have melanoma and are doing great (She's a doctor herself now :D ).

Please let us know what the Dr. says.......and take care!

bookwyrm
11-21-2005, 03:08 AM
Thank you ever so much, you've just told me exactly what I needed to hear by encouraging me to go, I've had this gut instinct about the horrid thing for a while but you've just confirmed that I should go. I will get try to get the first appointment I can-I woke up this morning and it was itching again.

I'm so sorry to hear about your brother but I'm so pleased you have been able to help others-thats great about the 13 year old.

Thank you, and I'll let you know what the doctor says.

bookwyrm
11-22-2005, 02:20 AM
It looks like it's going to be at least a week before the gp will see me, theres something at the back of my mind that tells me the mole is harmless-that being the fact that how could the sun damage my underarm? Would it actually be possible to have melanoma in an area that doesn't see the sun?

Thank you again.

MDA
11-22-2005, 06:37 PM
It looks like it's going to be at least a week before the gp will see me, theres something at the back of my mind that tells me the mole is harmless-that being the fact that how could the sun damage my underarm? Would it actually be possible to have melanoma in an area that doesn't see the sun?

Thank you again.

Unfortunately it is possible to get melanoma where you do not get sun. I hope your GP will refer you to a dermatologist and if he doesn't offer to........than PLEASE ask to be...A well qualified doctor is imperative in dealing with any skin lesions. Good luck and let us know what you find out!

bookwyrm
11-23-2005, 02:58 AM
Unfortunately it is possible to get melanoma where you do not get sun. I hope your GP will refer you to a dermatologist and if he doesn't offer to........than PLEASE ask to be...A well qualified doctor is imperative in dealing with any skin lesions. Good luck and let us know what you find out!

Thank you again, I don't think there is enough readilly availiable info on the subject availiable. I'm really annoyed that my doctor won't see me and am considering trying to get in to see another, I would rather know sooner than later.

Again thanks.

panthers78
11-24-2005, 08:48 AM
Be vigilant. Don't take no for an answer!
Get in there ASAP.

bookwyrm
12-06-2005, 10:47 AM
I still havent got to the doctors-taking forever due to lack of support from family, but I'm really scared now I knocked the mole last night and it begin to bleed and bleed...I'm sure the bits I said the other day were triangular have grown too-the mole seems to be growing across the skin.

My family just don't seem to be able to see it though ,they say everybody has strange moles and it's perfectly normal, it's driving me mad all they keep telling me is 'but you don't go out in the sun'.

I just wondered would melanoma grow in this way? I need to prove to my family it's worth getting it checked. Because it isn't colored black they think I'm wasting doctor's time!

thanks

irisrose
12-06-2005, 12:46 PM
You family needs to help you see a doctor. Even if it turns out that it's nothing, you need some relief from the worry that this mole is causing you. Your family is not expert in the field of dermatology. Even dermotologist can be surprised by a mole that turned out to be melanoma, when it didn't look like it was. So if trained professionals can't say with 100% certainty, how can your family?

Sure there are the ABCs to use to determine if a mole is suspicious. But that's just a guideline. It's not a perfect system, and some moles don't have any of those characteristics. It's there to tell the casual observer, that if your mole changes in any of the ABC guidelines, have it looked at. If it changes in other ways, like sensation (itchy, tingling etc) bleeding, crusting, oozing - also have it looked at.

The odds are in your favor that you don't have melanoma. But you will never know for sure or get the relief from worry until you have it looked at. I don't know where you live, but go to the American Cancer Society's website. There's a section called "Public Resources". In that area should be a link to find free skin screening clinics that might be in your area. If you live in or near a larger city, you'll probably have better luck. If you have trouble finding it, call the 800 on their webpage and someone can help you as well. These are conducted by dermotologists that volunteer their time. Maybe you can find a free screening clinic and you can just go. That way your family doesn't have to pay or give you the money to do this. But I honestly think you need to be seen. If for no other reason than to give you peace of mind.

Take care. I hope all goes well for you!

sad one
12-08-2005, 08:34 PM
Melanoma is sneaky and some women actually get it in their vaginal area. Men in their genitals. Melanoma isn't just from the sun. If you have a mole that is different colors and is Odd feeling like you are talking and itchy. You need to get to a Dermatologist. I had a place on the back of my arm above my elbow that I knew was Odd but just didn't worry that much. Even had a GP look at it and he said No worries! Well That GP"s no worries would of sent me to the grave if I had had faith in him. My odd spot was a Clark Level IV melanoma. Putting me at a Stage 1b on the staging of Breslow. You do NoT fool around with anything that changes in color or feeling when it comes to mole. It's possible that it's an atypical nevus that just needs to be "punched" ...and another thing. Do not let them shave this for a biopsy. Tell them you want a punch excision for the biopsy. That will tell you and the dr and the dermatapathologists what stage it is and exactly the depth for any kind of or type of skin cancer. If it's melanoma and it's been shaved...often times the depth is not completely excisised with the shave leaving behind a residual melanoma and not accurately leaving a clear margin for diagnosis for what type of procedure needs to be done next. Ok..sorry I have rambled on. I work for my derm and he is really a good derm but I will never have a shave again. I will always have punches for any type of mole or odd things! I wish youluck! And I hope it turns out to be nothing! Let us know!

alsaser
12-09-2005, 02:03 PM
Are there other symptoms that accompany melanoma?

panthers78
12-10-2005, 09:02 AM
Get to a doctor ASAP! Show them stuff on the net about melanoma.
Put a guilt trip on them. Do whatever it takes to get there but get to a doctor!
Even if you have to pull a nutty..seriously.
Melanoma is very sneaky and its not something to play around with. I wished your family would understand:(