PDA

View Full Version : Mole on scalp

mindysue
11-21-2005, 08:41 AM
Hi all, I'm hoping someone can give me some opinions.

Two weeks ago, I went to the dermatologist for a yearly skin check. She went through my hair and said there was nothing unusual there.
Fast forward to this past Wednesday. I was sitting at the computer feeling through my hair and I found a bump. It was not painful. I then began playing with it, thinking it was possibly a boil. I poked and prodded at it and it began to ooze. I had my husband look at it, and initially he thought it was a boil, since it was all inflamed and oozing (not bleeding). So I left it alone for two days and had him check it again. It was no longer red, but skin colored. It was perfectly round and about 7mm in diameter.
I was able to get into the dermatologist that day. She said it was a mole and did a shave biopsy. I will have to wait about 2 weeks to get my results.
Does this sound suspicious to you? Is there anyway to confuse a mole with some other growth? I think I would have noticed if I had a 7mm mole on my scalp and I would have thought that the previous dermatologist would have saw it during my skin check. I am so worried, its unreal.
Also, the "lesion" had hair growing out of it, the same length as the rest of the hair on my head (pretty long). Is this a good thing??

Sustasha
11-27-2005, 01:39 PM
calm down. A mole w/a hair growing out of it is a Good sign.
I am sixty one and have had a tiny mole on my scalp my entire life. You'll be fine, I promise.

neflin
12-28-2005, 08:37 PM
I have had moles growing out of my head many times in my life. Sometime they will just dry up and sometimes grow larger. I have probably had about 8 of them in my lifetime burned off but they do not seem to do this as much. I believe keeping an eye on them is important and have my beautician watch for them every five weeks when I go to the beauty shop. Real smart of you to stay on top of this. Happy New Year.

Sustasha
12-31-2005, 06:33 AM
Hi, it turned out to be a pilonidal cyst; my husband has had one on his back for 30 years. I cut my bangs long and thick and it covers it up. It's as big as a marble if you're old enough to know what a marble is! LOL
I remember where we lived and how it felt when it started growing; it was a small fluid filled cyst. Wish I had had it removed then.