PDA

View Full Version : Pink Bump

distressed1
12-20-2005, 05:29 AM
Hi,

For the past year I've had a raised pink colored bump on the inside of my forearm. It's hard, and hasn't changed in size very much (smaller than a pencil eraser), and looks translucent. When I first noticed it I thought it was a pimple and tried to pop it. It scabbed over, then turned pink again. Sometimes it almost looks like there's a little white pimple on it, but that disappears and reappears randomly. Of course I'm worried that this is some form of skin cancer, and I have an appointment with a dermatologist set up for after the holidays. Also, in the past few weeks I've noticed a similar place on my scalp above my ear. It is covered by my hair, and when I first noticed it I thought it was a bump. It seems to have increased in size a bit. It is pink and slightly raised. I'm posting this to see if anyone out there has seen anything similar to these, and could give me advice. I'm really stressing myself out with worry that it's the worst. Thanks for any input!

irisrose
12-22-2005, 06:16 PM
Sorry that you have to be so worried about this during a busy time of the year. But it is good that you are having it looked at. It could be any number of things. Could be some kind of benign skin growth (there are all kinds of those), or it could be basal cell carcinoma (still not horrible, curable with treatment). I know worry and worry myself silly over these darned moles and growths. But I've encountered quite a few things that were not cancer to calm me somewhat. I always thought any wierd thing on my skin automatically meant melanoma. But from experience there are so many odd skin growths and spots that it is most likely not melanoma.

Keep your appointment and try not to obsess about it too much. Melanoma, though on the rise, is still pretty rare. So try to keep that in mind.

Take care!

distressed1
12-23-2005, 09:14 AM
Thank you, irisrose, for your words of encouragement. I'll try to take them to heart. I've spent alot of time on the Internet reading descriptions and looking at all the pictures, and I think it's making me feel sicker. There is so much conflicting information, and these lumps look like they could be a match for basal cell carcinoma or nodular melanoma. I've never had any moles or growths on my body, so I don't have anything to compare these to. And I know I shouldn't be trying to self-diagnose, but while I am waiting to get to the doctor, I'm obsessing over it, imagining the worst. Thanks again for your encouragement, and Merry Christmas.

distressed1
01-12-2006, 11:34 AM
Just as a follow-up, I saw my dermatologist and he biopsied the nodule on my arm. Turns out it was a dermatofibroma, totally benign. All that worry over nothing, but good news in the end. Good health to all.

FL_Trish
01-13-2006, 09:07 AM
That is great news! :bouncing:
I am very happy for you!

Now that you are a bit more familiar about skin cancer and skin care, it would be a great idea to add 'an anual visit to the dermatologist' to every annual check ups that you have.
If teeth clean ups, physical exams, hair cuts, eye exams... all these other body parts get so much attention, it would be nice to add skin check ups to the list. If anything it will give you peace of mind

Just a thought. :D

distressed1
01-16-2006, 05:47 AM
It's already on my list. Thanks for the well wishes, Trish!