PDA

View Full Version : Do you have EXTREME dental Phobia?

Meg82
12-31-2005, 06:56 PM
I have been reading forums on dental phobia for a couple of weeks and I feel compelled to write something, hoping it may serve as inspiration for those out there who are considering confronting their fears and going to a dentist.
I am 23 years old and I had not been to the dentist in 8 years. I was ALWAYS anxiety ridden about going to the dentist even though I had braces for years and my parents mad me go for my regular check-ups. I had a bad experience at the dentist on my first filling, where they shot me directly in the nerve in my jawbone for a filling (non-intentionally, of course) and I just jumped out of the chair in pain. That was the last time I went to the dentist until recently and like I mentioned, it had been about 8 years.
As the years passed my parents constantly reminded me that I need to go to the dentist. It started to effect how I functioned daily – I was always worrying about my teeth but fear would take over and going to the dentist wasn’t even a consideration. A lot of my dreams would consist of my teeth falling out in public places and such. I used to tell my parents that no matter what, I would not go to the dentist unless I was in so much pain that I absolutely had to go. No questions asked, my fear was that great. My mother shares a similar phobia and as a result has no natural teeth of her own left. A couple of years ago her bottom implants started falling out and she is more or less without teeth on the bottom, though she still has not gone to the dentist. Anyway, what really pushed me to go in recent weeks was the fact that I found out that I will be getting laid off at the end of January and therefore will lose my insurance when my 8 weeks of severance runs out. I normally wouldn’t even consider taking advantage of the dental insurance, but my teeth and gums were slowly falling apart. I noticed heavy plaque build up on the inside of my bottom front teeth, and this was probably because I never floss. Also, I had a baby tooth still that was fused to the bone, no root, and it was hanging on barely and I never ate on that (left) side of my mouth because I was afraid that it would fall out. The right side of my mouth started deteriorating too, one of my back molars split in half a little over a month ago and the jagged tooth was cutting into my tongue and really causing me anxiety, for some reason there was no pain involved. I also have many visible cavities that I can see on my gumlines and I would look at them in the mirror and freak out but still it wasn’t enough to make me want to go see a dentist.
Based on my story and my unbelievable fear, I have a couple of recommendations to those that are riddled with anxiety about the dentist and I hope that I can provide some inspiration for those that are considering going to the dentist, whether it’s been 10 or 20 years, or even if you’ve never gone.
My first recommendation is to go dentist hunting. Do NOT settle and do not feel down on yourself for being incredibly picky. Don’t just look in the newspaper for dentists and compile a list, actually begin dialogue, written (email) or in person with dentists that you are considering. A couple of weeks ago I went to a dentist who specialized in sedation dentistry because their ads said that they cater to those with great dental phobia. I went in there, had x-rays, and ultimately I came out of there crying and in much worse shape than I was when I walked in. I was told I had several extractions, root canals, and cavities, bone graphing etc. needed and this dentist (and his hygienists) did ANYTHING but calm me. At first I thought that it was my dental phobia that caused this reaction, that I was just too scared, and that I should either suck it up and let him do all of these expensive procedures on me, or just give up. I felt hopeless and I felt like a loser for caving in and losing it emotionally in this dentist’s office.
I ended up seeking a second opinion from a dentist that two friends referred me to and this dentist was absolutely spectacular. I never thought I could walk out of an office with so much hope and so little anxiety. He was calming, gentle, reassuring, and also practices sedation dentistry, which for me is a must. I also experienced a completely different diagnosis! No root canals, only 8 fillings, one extraction and an implant (the baby tooth), and all 4 wisdom teeth extractions, and a crown. They have wonderful payment plan options and I decided that I could overcome my fear and get all of this done. Don’t beat yourself up if you don’t like a dentist, just keep trying, there are wonderful ones out there with all of the patience and understanding in the world. In fact, a lot of his staff had dental phobia at once and they were even telling me about how they locked themselves in the staff bathrooms before procedures because they were so scared. This really helped me to relax.
My second recommendation is sedation dentistry! Before my first procedure a couple of days ago I was given a pill called halcyon to take an hour before I went in. They gave me an IV when I got there and honestly my only recollections are going to the dentist and getting home into bed. They pulled all 4 highly impacted wisdom teeth, my baby tooth, and installed an implant into my jaw. Yeah, I have been looped up on pain pills the past couple of days but I cannot express to you the relief and happiness I feel that one of my procedures is over with finally. And I don’t remember anything. Before I went in I googled and read about people’s sedation “horror stories” and they freaked me out! I was convinced that I would be awake for part of the procedure, or feel pain, or be aware, but I absolutely was not at all. Reading those stories online only made things worse for me and made me lose sleep. I now only have one more appointment to get fillings and a crown, and a “deep cleaning” and since I am so comfortable with the dentist and know that I can more or less be unconscious (as far as I am concerned) for the procedures, I plan on going regularly to prevent all of this from happening again.
I understand that there are worse cases out there where, for example, people have to face the fact that they need to have all of their teeth pulled and get partials, but it is never too late, and if I can do it, you can. Believe me I couldn’t sleep at night before even my dentist x-ray check-ups, I was so nervous. The longer you wait the worse it gets, and if you can find a nice sedation dentist you can sleep through everything that you are afraid of.
Visiting all of these dental phobia forums has made me start to think that society would really benefit from having a dental reality series, where people with extreme fear have cameras follow them to the dentist and through their recovery. I think it would help that part of the population that is struggling with this so much.
If anyone would like to talk any more about dental anxiety, I am happy to share dialogue. My email address is ( REMOVED)
I am in Colorado too if anyone needs a dentist recommendation.
Best of luck and strength,
Megan

http://www.healthboards.com/boards/faq.php?faq=faq_hb#3
"Posts that offer OR request information for any kind of off-board contact information, for any purpose, will be removed and will lead to banning."

wintersun
01-01-2006, 10:02 AM
I don't haver any dental phobia, but feel bad for those that do.. I don't care about pain, and I have an extremly high tolerance for pain. There is NOTHING they can do to scare me-lol! I've had a baby, and don"t care about that, either. I just know that doctors/dentists HAVE to hurt you to help you- simple as that..
They just DO- nothing you can do about it.. I think most people are scared of the pain.. YES, You WILL have LOTS of pain- So what? It is just SO!!
I think your idea of a reality show is cool- and VERY helpful- although I can't relate to it, because I don't care about pain.. It would still be interesting to watch!

I really do believe it's all about your pain tolerance-mine is so high, I could go through ANYTHING, and still be OK. Pain does NOT scare me. I bet for a lot of people, that's what it is..

That's how it is for me, maybe I'm one of the fortunate ones...I don't care about needles, surgery, childbirth-NOTHIN'!!!
It's just a part of life, and you have to get through it like anything else..

PS: I'm in colorado also, which you can read if you read my profile..

suzyisdizzy
01-01-2006, 07:52 PM
Thank you so much for your post.

I have exteme dental anxiety.
I have a dentist appointment on Thursday that I am already worrying about. I will be getting 2 filling filled. I have about 10 more to go....
I am not afraid of pain. That is the least of my worries. It is the TIME I have to spend in the chair that freaks me out. Feeling trapped.
So did you have any side effects from the sedation? Did it make you feel nauseous?
I have never tried it and I'm too scared to.
I will be taking an ativan pill before going on Thursday.
Thanks again for the post!

Tattooall
01-02-2006, 10:50 AM
I too have really bad dental anxiety. I had a root canal done in the summer and I was up all night the night before going through the worst panic attack. Everything went fine but I have a very hard time being relaxed and I have big trust issues with dentists now since the one who did my root canal came up with a list of over $8000 in work he wants me to have done which after talking to my father's dentist I found out that I dont even need. When I refused to let him do the work (I was in to have 2 cavities done that are really sore) he went irate and said that he will not allow me to come into his office and tell him what will abd what wont be done. He was so money hungry and really did a good job at making me feel 2 feet tall. Never in my life have I been treated with such disrespect! Thursday I am going to see my dad's dentist to get the cavities taken care of. I'm really nervous but I'm glad that I wont have to deal with that other dentist anymore.

Tattooall
01-02-2006, 10:52 AM
Also, it's not the pain that scares me. I have 9 tattoos and 14 piercings so I can deal with the pain. Anything remotely medical scares me to no end and I'm not even sure why.

Meg82
01-02-2006, 01:08 PM
Thank you so much for your post.

I have exteme dental anxiety.
I have a dentist appointment on Thursday that I am already worrying about. I will be getting 2 filling filled. I have about 10 more to go....
I am not afraid of pain. That is the least of my worries. It is the TIME I have to spend in the chair that freaks me out. Feeling trapped.
So did you have any side effects from the sedation? Did it make you feel nauseous?
I have never tried it and I'm too scared to.
I will be taking an ativan pill before going on Thursday.
Thanks again for the post!
------------------------------------

I totally relate to worrying days, even weeks in advance before an appointment! What killed me most was actually picturing myself in the chair, imagining pain (for me) and what the dentist would do to me, and it would really worry me and stress me out. Now that I have actually gone through with the procedure I feel that I can confidently reassure you that you will be calm and all of your fears will dissappear, and most importantly you will lose concept of time and it will fly away like nothin'. Making things up in my mind as to how it would feel or what it would be like in the chair was not a good idea but it can't be helped for someone with a phobia like this.
When you take the pill, you may be trying to convince yourself that you are still afraid, and that is OK, and you may tell the dentist that when you get to the office. Before you know it though, and it will be strange, you will be done and on your way home. I found it extremely hard to believe that anything could sedate my fears and anxieties because they were SO GREAT. I couldn't even enjoy myself at xmas parties weeks before my appointment because I was so worried. I was very, very skeptical but after I took the pill before the dentist, I felt totally different. I still felt in control but it's almost like it turned of those things in my brain that would cause all of that anxiety. Which was just what I needed. It worked and it wasn't scary in the least.
As for nausea, I am EXTREMELY sensitive to any meds, and get sick very very easily. I wasn't nauseous at ALL. The last thing they wanted me to do was to get sick because I would pop my stiches and infect the area, etc. I was nervous about getting sick but even with a lot of gauze in my mouth, all of the meds I was under, and the sedation, I was not nauseous AT ALL. I did fast for 6 hours prior to the dental work though which may have helped. I was nauseus afterward because I was prescribed very strong pain meds and only eating apple sauce and such, makes for queaziness, but anyway, I would advise that you will be just fine.
Please update me on how it goes! I will be going back for 8 fillings and crown in a few weeks and I will keep a postin'!
Good luck, you can do it!
Meg

Meg82
01-02-2006, 01:14 PM
I too have really bad dental anxiety. I had a root canal done in the summer and I was up all night the night before going through the worst panic attack. Everything went fine but I have a very hard time being relaxed and I have big trust issues with dentists now since the one who did my root canal came up with a list of over $8000 in work he wants me to have done which after talking to my father's dentist I found out that I dont even need. When I refused to let him do the work (I was in to have 2 cavities done that are really sore) he went irate and said that he will not allow me to come into his office and tell him what will abd what wont be done. He was so money hungry and really did a good job at making me feel 2 feet tall. Never in my life have I been treated with such disrespect! Thursday I am going to see my dad's dentist to get the cavities taken care of. I'm really nervous but I'm glad that I wont have to deal with that other dentist anymore.

You are absolutely right in going to a different dentist. The first dentist I went to was a complete and utter ***. I saw all of the people in and out of the office so I aassumed that he had to be a good popular dentist, but for me, he made me feel awful, more worried, and I did not like his joking dimeanor or the way he tried to calm me by saying "I've done this for 30 years!" I don't care how long you've been doing it, I want you to calm and reassure me!
I am so glad that I didn't stay with him. I felt like a failure but once I found the right dentist I knew that I was in good hands, and as the work is getting done, I am feeling better and better about it.
I wish you luck, and if you still don't like the dentist thta you are going to try to look up sedation dentistry. It iis more expensive but you can get everything done in one or two appointments ad sleep right through it all. Take my word for it, it is a godsend!
Best Wishes,
Meg

Meg82
01-02-2006, 01:16 PM
Also, it's not the pain that scares me. I have 9 tattoos and 14 piercings so I can deal with the pain. Anything remotely medical scares me to no end and I'm not even sure why.

For me it is loss of control and basically a phobia, just as anyone would be afraid of spiders or snakes. We share dental phobia, and it is OK and common. At least we are getting our work done, only 50 % of the population actually goes to the dentist regularly.
Meg

Anti Social
01-02-2006, 01:52 PM
I have dental phobia as well and have an appointment this month to have my wisdom tooth removed...I am PETRIFIED!!..Scared to death about needles and whatnot =/

msterio619
01-03-2006, 07:45 AM
I do also have extreme dental phobia. Only way for me to have work done no matter how simple or complicated is via sedation. I don't know what it is when you get in that chair. I start shaking like I am having seizures and sweat profusely through my clothes.

In 04 I had a really bad tooth ache. Went to this dentist and he went on about how horrible my teeth were. He made me feel so small because he was speaking so loudly that my friend in the waiting area heard him (as well as other ppl waiting). He was being just rude and sarcastic. Time of the extraction I told him it hurt really bad worse than the actual tooth ache - he was like you want this out and proceeded to tell his assistent to turn up the nitrious up. I had tears streaming down my face cuz he was such a #%#^.

Then last year had another tooth ache that needed to be extracted did it with the IV sedation and it was wonderful. All I remember was the doc setting up the IV and woke up groggy and it was done went home and slept all day.

I have alot of work I need to have done and with the IV sedation it's the only way I will get this done.

Meg82
01-03-2006, 12:52 PM
I have dental phobia as well and have an appointment this month to have my wisdom tooth removed...I am PETRIFIED!!..Scared to death about needles and whatnot =/

If I may ask, what are they giving you as far as sedation? Will you be on laughing gas, or on pills, or on an IV?
Meg

Meg82
01-03-2006, 12:54 PM
I do also have extreme dental phobia. Only way for me to have work done no matter how simple or complicated is via sedation. I don't know what it is when you get in that chair. I start shaking like I am having seizures and sweat profusely through my clothes.

In 04 I had a really bad tooth ache. Went to this dentist and he went on about how horrible my teeth were. He made me feel so small because he was speaking so loudly that my friend in the waiting area heard him (as well as other ppl waiting). He was being just rude and sarcastic. Time of the extraction I told him it hurt really bad worse than the actual tooth ache - he was like you want this out and proceeded to tell his assistent to turn up the nitrious up. I had tears streaming down my face cuz he was such a #%#^.

Then last year had another tooth ache that needed to be extracted did it with the IV sedation and it was wonderful. All I remember was the doc setting up the IV and woke up groggy and it was done went home and slept all day.

I have alot of work I need to have done and with the IV sedation it's the only way I will get this done.

I totally agree, I have the same fears and sweat and cry in the chair if I am aware, if I can even get IN the chair, which I can't, and sedation is the only way that I will get anything done.
Thanks for sharing,
Meg

Anti Social
01-04-2006, 08:05 AM
If I may ask, what are they giving you as far as sedation? Will you be on laughing gas, or on pills, or on an IV?
Meg

I am not sure..I just know I have an appointment & thats all..as far as an IV-I cant have that..I have an extreme needle phobia although I have a tattoo & piercings,when it comes to medical I just cant do it lol..Its a huge scene when I have to go and give blood,I feel like I am literally dying so I know I wont have an IV..
Which pills are you talking about?..I know about the laughing gas and IV but not sure about the pills

arlmon18
01-04-2006, 08:41 AM
I don't know anyone who likes dental work !! I've had alot of gum surgery - 2 left to go and the day before I start feeling very anxious and nervous and just want to get it over with. I sometimes take a mild dose of ativan and that helps. I also saw another patient getting some ativan from the doctor because she was very scared. I'm always the happiest when the surgery is finished - I can deal with the "after" pain. The important thing is saving and taking care of your teeth.

Meg82
01-04-2006, 12:11 PM
I am not sure..I just know I have an appointment & thats all..as far as an IV-I cant have that..I have an extreme needle phobia although I have a tattoo & piercings,when it comes to medical I just cant do it lol..Its a huge scene when I have to go and give blood,I feel like I am literally dying so I know I wont have an IV..
Which pills are you talking about?..I know about the laughing gas and IV but not sure about the pills
----
I was referring to Ativan or Halcion, or Valium or something of the like. Some dentists give these to patients with extreme anxiety before their appointments (I had Halcion) and they really calm them and make the fears dissapate. I would really sugegst that you call your dentist and ask if it is an option to get something to take so that you are more calm and relaxed. They work like a dream! And about the IV, I understand, although if it was an option and you could have it, you wouldn't remember anything about the procedure. I had 5 teeth pulled and I didn't even feel the IV go in because I was on Halcion and it took all feeling away and left me euphoric and happy. This is coming from someone who has to be forced into the chair for even x-rays!
GOod luck,
Meg

Tattooall
01-04-2006, 03:46 PM
I have never had IV sedation ever in my entire life and am not very fond of the idea. I hate needles (unless they're for tattoos!) and I prefer to be awake so I can know what's going on. The idea of being asleep and having no idea or control over what is happening scares me to death. I was told by my other dentist that my wisdom teeth should come out even though they dont hurt and are not causing any problems. My dad is almost 60 and still has his as well. I am seeing his dentist tomorrow for some fillings so I guess we'll see what he says. I'm nervous about going but nearly as nervous as I was with the other one.

Meg82
01-05-2006, 08:53 AM
I would rather have a quick pinch in my arm to sedate me than know about the needles in my mouth!

Meg82
01-05-2006, 09:06 AM
I have never had IV sedation ever in my entire life and am not very fond of the idea. I hate needles (unless they're for tattoos!) and I prefer to be awake so I can know what's going on. The idea of being asleep and having no idea or control over what is happening scares me to death. I was told by my other dentist that my wisdom teeth should come out even though they dont hurt and are not causing any problems. My dad is almost 60 and still has his as well. I am seeing his dentist tomorrow for some fillings so I guess we'll see what he says. I'm nervous about going but nearly as nervous as I was with the other one.

And about the wisdom teeth, I have a huge crack in one of my teeth and 8 cavities, most are visible holes on my gumlines, and I was surprised to find out that they wanted to pull my wisdom teeth first before doing anything about my other teeth even though my wisdom teeth have never ever bothered me. I suppose they can cause major problems down the road and they can tell with x-rays if it is going to eventually happen to you. For instance, one of my wisdom teeth was compeltely horizontal in the jaw bone and I had no idea. It had consequently caused decay in the tooth it was touching under the gumline and made all of my bottom front teeth crooked again. If I would have left it I would have been in excruciating pain and infection years down the road. If you are nervous about sedation that is absolutely fine, you can pee your pants before the actual procedure if you're scared, but once you are in a sedated state, you don't know you were ever nervous and you feel as though you are in control, and when you wake up you aren't mad that you weren't in control because you were sedated! To me it is a godsend and I am the biggest control freak out there, that's why I hate people in my mouth.
Meg

Anti Social
01-05-2006, 12:32 PM
Needles in my mouth is a thought I cant even imagine!!!..Gives me anxiety just thinking about it!!

Tattooall
01-05-2006, 06:28 PM
Hi everyone :)

I went to see my new dentist today and he was just wonderful! I'm so pleased! I wish I had gone to see him from the beginning. My parents go to him and he is actually my Granny's cousin so we're related. I never knew!

Anyways, he was so kind (he is older, around 60) and calm and really funny. The office is in an old house that they converted into the dental office so it is a really relaxed home feeling which was nice. I told him about the troubles I had with my other dentist and he put my mind at ease when he told me that everything my old dentist wanted to do is not needed.

The wisdom teeth look fine, he said there is no need to mess with them and put me through the stress unless they flare up. My dad still has his wisdoms too.

I got one cavity fixed and didn't even feel the needle, I was so surprised! It was funny, he let my fiance come in the room with me and his assistant had my fiance hold my hand while he did the needle. She pressed her hands on either side of my face so I didnt feel the needle at all. The filling only took about 10 minutes too which was nice. My very first filling was in the summer and it was a root canal so after going through that as my very first time (and I'm 22!) this filling was nothing at all.

I go back in 2 weeks for another filling and a cleaning. I'm so glad that I found someone so kind and actually concerned with my feelings and well being, not the money like the other guy. He really helped to calm my nerves. I'm pretty sore right now, I bruise and swell from needles really easy. It takes a good week for the bruises to go away after getting tattooed but luckily this one isn't very bad on my cheek so I can hide it with makeup. Just my gums are puffed up and my jaw joints ache. That's genes for you, my dad is the same way.

I agree with you Meg, if my wisdom teeth were turned like yours then yes, I would have them out. But so far my dentist thinks that mine are ok and doesn't want to put me through stress and anxiety if I can avoid it. That makes me so happy. It's nice to feel actually cared for and not like a sack of teeth attatched to a wallet.

Anti Social
01-06-2006, 07:50 AM
Thats good to hear Tattogirl...I wish my dentist told me I didnt have to have my wisdom teeth removed..My bottom right is stuck in the bone & if I dont have it taken out ill have recurring infections that can lead to more serious problems,so unfortunatly its mandatory to have it removed =/

Im still petrified & even typing about it is turning my stomach

Tattooall
01-07-2006, 02:34 PM
Anti Social,

Sorry to hear about your wisdom teeth. :( I have been having discomfort with my teeth but my dentist thinks that it is from a few cavities and the fact that they need a cleaning. I have been getting really bad headaches that could be related to that or the w. teeth. We are going to wait and see what happens after the cavities and cleanings are all done. If getting the w. teeth out will help the headaches, I'll do it, it will be hard, but I'll try my best.

Good luck with yours. When do you get them out?

wintersun
01-07-2006, 08:25 PM
tatoo girl- you write about being strapped in the chair as your deepest phobia- aren't you pretty much imobile at the tatoo artist also? But that is a matter of choice-No?

Anti Social
01-08-2006, 09:04 AM
I have an appointment Jan 25th..not sure if thats when the surgery will take place or if I just have to go in for whatever reason

Tattooall
01-08-2006, 11:21 AM
tatoo girl- you write about being strapped in the chair as your deepest phobia- aren't you pretty much imobile at the tatoo artist also? But that is a matter of choice-No?

The process of a tattoo for me is completely different than having dental work. First off, you can talk with your artist. Tattoos aren't a medical procedure. You are free to stop, get up and move around anytime you want during a tattoo and you get a say in what happens. You get to pick your design, the colours, everything. It's a personal choice, something I WANT to do, not something I HAVE TO do. At the dentist you have no control over what happens. For a tattoo, you have made all the choices. You don't have to be sedated for a tattoo and you aren't in a lot of pain afterwards. I dont take well to needles in my mouth and I bruise there easily and have discomfort for a long time. I had a filling done on Thursday and am still very sore where as with a tattoo, I'd be healed by now. Also, the tattoo artist isn't screwing around with my mouth. If you could get your teeth tattooed, I for one would no be in line for that. A tattoo session and a dental session cannot be compared at all. It's like comparing oranges to steak.

wintersun
01-08-2006, 08:37 PM
So true! I should know that..

Anti Social
01-09-2006, 08:43 AM
The process of a tattoo for me is completely different than having dental work. First off, you can talk with your artist. Tattoos aren't a medical procedure. You are free to stop, get up and move around anytime you want during a tattoo and you get a say in what happens. You get to pick your design, the colours, everything. It's a personal choice, something I WANT to do, not something I HAVE TO do. At the dentist you have no control over what happens. For a tattoo, you have made all the choices. You don't have to be sedated for a tattoo and you aren't in a lot of pain afterwards. I dont take well to needles in my mouth and I bruise there easily and have discomfort for a long time. I had a filling done on Thursday and am still very sore where as with a tattoo, I'd be healed by now. Also, the tattoo artist isn't screwing around with my mouth. If you could get your teeth tattooed, I for one would no be in line for that. A tattoo session and a dental session cannot be compared at all. It's like comparing oranges to steak.

Yes,thats very true..When I got my tattoo it was totally different than having a medical procedure done..I rather get more tattoo's & piercings than having needles stuck in my body or in my mouth :eek: :eek:

Meg82
01-12-2006, 01:14 PM
Hi everyone :)

I went to see my new dentist today and he was just wonderful! I'm so pleased! I wish I had gone to see him from the beginning. My parents go to him and he is actually my Granny's cousin so we're related. I never knew!

Anyways, he was so kind (he is older, around 60) and calm and really funny. The office is in an old house that they converted into the dental office so it is a really relaxed home feeling which was nice. I told him about the troubles I had with my other dentist and he put my mind at ease when he told me that everything my old dentist wanted to do is not needed.

The wisdom teeth look fine, he said there is no need to mess with them and put me through the stress unless they flare up. My dad still has his wisdoms too.

I got one cavity fixed and didn't even feel the needle, I was so surprised! It was funny, he let my fiance come in the room with me and his assistant had my fiance hold my hand while he did the needle. She pressed her hands on either side of my face so I didnt feel the needle at all. The filling only took about 10 minutes too which was nice. My very first filling was in the summer and it was a root canal so after going through that as my very first time (and I'm 22!) this filling was nothing at all.

I go back in 2 weeks for another filling and a cleaning. I'm so glad that I found someone so kind and actually concerned with my feelings and well being, not the money like the other guy. He really helped to calm my nerves. I'm pretty sore right now, I bruise and swell from needles really easy. It takes a good week for the bruises to go away after getting tattooed but luckily this one isn't very bad on my cheek so I can hide it with makeup. Just my gums are puffed up and my jaw joints ache. That's genes for you, my dad is the same way.

I agree with you Meg, if my wisdom teeth were turned like yours then yes, I would have them out. But so far my dentist thinks that mine are ok and doesn't want to put me through stress and anxiety if I can avoid it. That makes me so happy. It's nice to feel actually cared for and not like a sack of teeth attatched to a wallet.

Sorry it's been so long since I checked the forum because I do'nt get email notifications when people respond! I am so so so so oooo glad to hear theat you had a great experience at that dentist, sometimes it can make the biggest difference. I am so happy for you and especially for being strong through the needle and the filling. That is awesome!!!! Keep in touch and hopefully your wisdom teeth will never "flare up" and you'll never have to get rid of them!
Meg

Meg82
01-12-2006, 01:23 PM
I have an appointment Jan 25th..not sure if thats when the surgery will take place or if I just have to go in for whatever reason

I can totally relate to how nervous you are...especially not having an appointment for over a week, you have all of this time to think about it! ahh! I can only imagine. I have heard of "rescue remedy" and i am not sure what it is but a lot of people with the kind of anxiety that we get have recommended it to me. you should look it up online.
since you don't know what your appointment is for on the 25th, definitely call and find out if it is informative or the "big one" because you can mentally prepare yourself then (as much as possible). if it is the informative exam/talking, you have nothing to be worried about, and be sure that you ask about any sedative pills that they can give you. you are in controla nd aware but you are very relaxed, it seems to turn the anxiety off in your brain. it is very nice and i don't like that sort of stuff.
if you could handle an IV and if they offer IV sedation (htough i know you hate the thought of it), i reccomend it with all of my heart and soul. i was trying to text message my boyfriend while i was on IV sedation and i was asking them questions. you are awake and you even keep your mouth open by yourself but the IV is giving you versed (pronounced verse-ed) and you don't end up remembering ANYTHING at all.
anyway, keep in touch until your appointment and i will encourage you all i can.
meg

Anti Social
01-13-2006, 01:16 PM
Thanks Meg..Ive never heard of rescue remedy,ill have to look online...As for the IV,that isnt even an option for me lol..I rather pull my eyelashes out one by one than to have an IV..just the thought turns my stomach =/

I'll ask about the pills & see what happens!!

Meg82
01-13-2006, 02:54 PM
Thanks Meg..Ive never heard of rescue remedy,ill have to look online...As for the IV,that isnt even an option for me lol..I rather pull my eyelashes out one by one than to have an IV..just the thought turns my stomach =/

No problem, yes ask about what they can do to relieve your fear, it will make for a much better experience. Keep in touch!
Meg

Meg82
01-25-2006, 03:28 PM

SO, HOW DID IT GO???????
I am dying to hear...
Meg

amandahuk
01-29-2006, 03:16 AM
I am hoping that some one some where here in Uk Surrey will be able to please advise me. I am a Denatl phobic and at the moment have got a dental Abcess. I know that I have got to get Antibiotics which, I will get from my GP. I am also going to phone the Surrey dental help line.I am searching for an NHS Dentist who is good with phobic people like me.I also suffer with Anxiety/panic attacks and really dread going to a Dentist. I feel I will die in the chair, gag and am tearful.So many Dentists have informed me that i need loads of work including root canal work then extractions I am freaking and cant have these done while in the wretched dental chair.I am a real wreck and feel low and depressed about my teeth.Please help me Thank-you

Meg82
01-30-2006, 03:35 PM
I am hoping that some one some where here in Uk Surrey will be able to please advise me. I am a Denatl phobic and at the moment have got a dental Abcess. I know that I have got to get Antibiotics which, I will get from my GP. I am also going to phone the Surrey dental help line.I am searching for an NHS Dentist who is good with phobic people like me.I also suffer with Anxiety/panic attacks and really dread going to a Dentist. I feel I will die in the chair, gag and am tearful.So many Dentists have informed me that i need loads of work including root canal work then extractions I am freaking and cant have these done while in the wretched dental chair.I am a real wreck and feel low and depressed about my teeth.Please help me Thank-you

I would suggest googling or using any internet search engine and looking for sedation dentists in your area. It is more expensive, but to me and other dental phobics, I'm sure, it is SO worth it. Good luck!

katzfriend
01-30-2006, 04:32 PM
HI All! I am so glad I found this board. Here is my story....over 20 years ago I went to a dentist that filled several of my teeth, he gave me nitreous oxide, but no shots to numb me up. After that I dreaded going to the dentist and rarely went. Finally in December I went to a local dentist for an exam. I wasn't too surprised that I need a lot of work, got a "deep cleaning", 3 fillings replaced and needed a root canal and also still need a wisdom tooth pulled. I have been so mad at myself for letting it get to this! If only I had gone regularly :rolleyes: . Now I feel like I am paying the price. The deep cleaning wasn't too bad. Strangely enough I had been to a dentist about 5 years ago that told me I didn't even need a regular cleaning, because I had no tartar on my teeth. I was always faithful about brushing real well, so I thought I was ok until this dentist told me I have periodontal disease. She said a lot of the older dentists don't have the training regarding Perio. I had the fillings replaced and the root canal last Friday. It wasn't too bad, but it was a molar with 4 roots and 3 went fine, but the 4th one didn't. It had calcifications and was so narrow that even the smalles file wouldn't fit into the space. I was told that the last 3 millimeters of the tooth are not filled and for that reason I might have more problems down the line, or it might be fine. I am getting REALLY depressed with all the problems with my teeth, for which I can only blame myself. :(
Just want to let everyone know, try to make yourself go now, the longer you wait, the worse it will be....

Meg82
02-04-2006, 12:30 PM
Well I am going in for 6 hours of work in a couple of weeks, 7 or 8 fillings, a crown, and a deep cleaning. All in one day! I will not have IV sedation which I am really nervous about because it works so well, but I will be on Valium, Triazolam and Nitrous and I am sure it will calm me substantially. Anyway, wish me luck, my nervousness is creeping back again, and I wish luck to all of you out there who are braving or even contemplating braving your dental fears. I am so glad that I am going because some of my cavities have increased in size quite a bit over the past month even, just shows how fast your mouth can deteriorate.
Meg

katzfriend
02-04-2006, 06:14 PM
Meg,
I think you are really brave for going for all that work in one day! Let us know how it goes. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you :wave: Good luck!!!!

te34resa
02-08-2006, 05:52 AM
I am so happy to come across your post today as I'm having sedation dentistry for the first time in a couple of weeks and I'm very scared. I'm in the UK and at least I'm happy to have found a dentist who does sedation as my regular dentist doesn't. I have to have five teeth out and have a severe dental phobia due to lots of bad experiences with various dentists. Like you, my fear is being awake and feeling the pain or being sick and they can't complete the treatment etc. As well as your other excellent advice I'd like to add that taking someone along with you can be a big help. My husband came and sit in with me- I find that once the dentist mentions extractions, root fillings etc my mind just freezes and I can't concentrate on what he's saying any more- it's just screaming "no!!!" Thank you for your post, I'm sure it will help a lot of people and good luck for the future.

iyami
02-08-2006, 10:41 PM
i have a apnci attack every time i think about going .___.;; dentists terrafy me, once hwne i was yunger one pulle dout twoof my teeth against my will Just ebcuase tehy were abby teeth..they were perfectly healthy, not loose yet, no cavities, no teeth comeing in behind them yet, my mouth wasnt overcorwded, etc. he did it fro teh money, and he trheatened to strap me down if i didnt sit stil or trie dto leve, isnt that illegal though? i broke the assitants hand, when she sai dto squeeze it while she pulled, i was a strong little girl, id call that payback.
they sacred me even before then, but hat sort of tramatised me.

Meg82
02-12-2006, 07:44 PM
I am so happy to come across your post today as I'm having sedation dentistry for the first time in a couple of weeks and I'm very scared. I'm in the UK and at least I'm happy to have found a dentist who does sedation as my regular dentist doesn't. I have to have five teeth out and have a severe dental phobia due to lots of bad experiences with various dentists. Like you, my fear is being awake and feeling the pain or being sick and they can't complete the treatment etc. As well as your other excellent advice I'd like to add that taking someone along with you can be a big help. My husband came and sit in with me- I find that once the dentist mentions extractions, root fillings etc my mind just freezes and I can't concentrate on what he's saying any more- it's just screaming "no!!!" Thank you for your post, I'm sure it will help a lot of people and good luck for the future.

Aw, your welcome, I have found it really helpful to hear all of your stories too. So, are you having oral or IV sedation? You will be really surprised at the ease of your appointment, to me, sedation dentistry is God's gift to us phobics. I confidently recommend it to everyone. I have had IV sedation and I am having oral sedation (Triazolam, valium, and laughing gas) in 2 weeks for a 6-hour appointment that I have. I will report back if the oral sedation isn't as effective as the IV sedation.
I totally agree, having someone with you is HUGE help. My boyfriend comes with me to all of my appointments and he will even be in the back while I am being sedated, before they begin the procedure in a couple of weeks. He is my support and a huge help, and I agree that having someone with you is helpful.
Good luck to you and please, keep in touch!
Meg

SportHorse
02-12-2006, 09:05 PM
Out of curiosity... how much did the sedation cost? Is there a big difference in IV vs oral in cost? I just had a lot of work done (two sessions, one was 5 hours, the other was 3). I really wanted to be sedated, but the cost was just too much for me. I was scared stiff the first visit, but managed it okay. Fortunately I have an awesome dentist and he took great care of me :)

Meg82
02-13-2006, 10:53 AM
Out of curiosity... how much did the sedation cost? Is there a big difference in IV vs oral in cost? I just had a lot of work done (two sessions, one was 5 hours, the other was 3). I really wanted to be sedated, but the cost was just too much for me. I was scared stiff the first visit, but managed it okay. Fortunately I have an awesome dentist and he took great care of me :)

The sedation wasn't expensive at all, at least in comparison to what the other work cost. My oral sedation is costing me around $250 I believe (I don't have the invoice in front of me), and that is for 6 hours of oral-administered sedation. The IV sedation that I had for my wisdom teeth was wonderful, and that cost me around the same amount, $250. I think it is totally and completely worth the extra charge.
Meg

SportHorse
02-14-2006, 06:44 PM
Wow... I wonder if I misunderstood then when I asked about cost. I was quoted 500, but maybe they were quoting for the whole procedure (it would have been very hard to come up with 1000 for two days for me). It certainly does seem to be worth it in comparason to the cost of having extensive work done. Glad that it has worked out for you. I look forward to your report on how the IV is compared to the oral. Good luck and congrats on being so brave and getting the work done!

Meg82
02-23-2006, 10:05 PM
Ooooh I'm up and scared about tomorrow....better take my pills...even though I have faith in sedation dentistry, I'm still a wreck b/c I've only had IV sedation thus far, and not the oral - administered sedation that I will have tomorrow. I will update and let everyone know how it worked! I will be in the chair for 6 hours, so I should be a good example for everyone...
Until later,
Meg

yugokid
02-23-2006, 10:28 PM
i am due for a scailing and root planning in a month to stop the perio disease and tighten my loose teeth (only 24y/o) i do have frequent PVC's and was wondering if sedation would be out of the question for someone with heart issue.

katzfriend
02-24-2006, 05:10 AM
Good luck, Meg! Hopefully you will feel nothing and everything will be over before you know it. Let us know how you are doing!

Meg82
02-24-2006, 05:58 PM
Thank you everyone for the encouragement and good luck. Today was great, I remember very little, I was not nervous at all, felt no pain, was not aware of the 11 shots of novacaine that they gave me, I was alllll kinds of messed up, but that is what it takes to get me into the dreaded dentist's chair and I HIGHLY reccommend it to all phobics like myself. Don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions about sedation dentistry, I have had both IV and oral and I loved them both (though I came out of the procedure inan awful mood today - must be a side effect) :-)
Until later,
Meg

Meg82
02-24-2006, 06:00 PM
i am due for a scailing and root planning in a month to stop the perio disease and tighten my loose teeth (only 24y/o) i do have frequent PVC's and was wondering if sedation would be out of the question for someone with heart issue.

It depends on the issue I suppose. They do look closely at your medical history to determine if it is appropriate, but they have heart and vital function monitors going during the procedures if anything were to go wrong. Definitely contact a dentist in your area that does sedation dentistry and ask them, I am not sure what they will do, but I hope that it is an option because it is such a Godsend.
Hope this helps,
Meg

SportHorse
02-24-2006, 06:31 PM
Congratulations on getting all that work done Meg! Glad to hear it went well today. Do you have any work left to be done?

katzfriend
02-25-2006, 08:39 AM
Great news, Meg, I was thinking of you!
Hope you are feeling good today!!!!

Meg82
02-25-2006, 11:45 AM
Congratulations on getting all that work done Meg! Glad to hear it went well today. Do you have any work left to be done?

As far as the work still to be done, not too much, just a permanent crown (have a temporary on now) and I also have to get a tooth put onto my implant site. Basically what it is is a screw coming out of my gum where a tooth used to be and it goes into the jaw bone. (Sounds midevil I know but it isn't painful or bothersoeme at all.)
I have to wait a couple of months to get an actual tooth there because the implant will fuse to the jaw bone and if they put the tooth on too early it may be unstable and eventually the implant could come out if it isn't completly healed. Sounds awful, I know, but I was under sedation for the appointment and it was just fine, and I didn't have any pain on that site aside from some bruising on my cheek for awhile.

Total cost for all procedures surgical wisdom teeth extractions (4), extraction of baby tooth and implant/porcelain crown on implant, crown on broken molar, 8 fillings and a deep cleaning, plus sedation dentistry for both appointments = approx. $6,500. I have the "cheap" $1000 deductable dental insurance. The sedation was the cheapest, only a couple hundred dollars for both appoinntments. The cost of all of this is absolutely daunting, but it is well worth it as the more time goes by, the more work that will have to be done. Most offices offer finance plans.

I feel compelled to let everyone know that the IV sedation was different than the oral sedation. With the IV, I don't remember ANYTHING and as far as I was concerned I was unconcious. The oral sedation was slightly different, after I had a Triazolam pill the dentist came in and asked me on a scale of 1-10, 10 being extremely relaxed, how did I feel. I told him a 5, though I was probably an 8 or so (heh heh) and they continued to medicate me and by the time they began work I was completely "out". My boyfriend was in the dental office as I was getting medicated and he told me that by the time they put the nitrous on, I was basically sleeping. I don't remember the dentist beginning work on me or anything, which is great! I was talking and joking while under sedation yesterday when I wasn't sleeping and I even think I farted, which is SO embarrasing hahaha! I had 11 shots and only vaguely remember one, and it wasn't scary or anything. I had my I-pod on but I don't remember hearing any music. I also didn't hear drilling or talking or anything. I came to a couple of times and opened my eyes, and remember very vaguely looking around but I wasn't fearful at all.

After I get those last procedures done I plan on going to the dentist regularly for cleanings, without sedation! This experience has really shifted my mindset about dental work. This morning when I woke up I was ecstatic because I didn't have any more "holes" in my teeth. I was talking about it all morning to my boyfriend, just overjoyed and feeling so much better, though just the night before I was a nervous WRECK. It is wonderful. I had several cavities on the gum line that were very visible, looked like black holes, and they were very sensitive to warm or cold things and sweet things. Today I have no pain at all, just soreness from the shots of novacaine, and no more holes!!!! I've been looking in the mirror at my cavity sites all morning in disbelief that I actualy went through with it. I am so happy. Me, the person who wouldn't even consider going to the dentist, even for an x-ray, 6 months ago.

Now I need to convince my mother to go in, she has none of her own teeth left, but some of her implants have fallen out in the front and she is toothless on the bottom in front. Her top dentures are not aesthetically pleasing at all, they are old and weren't done very well. She definitely needs dentures or implants, but she is far too scared due to years of shotty dental work and painful procedures done by awful dentists. She is in her 50's, and has been through 3 natural childbirths, but can't go to the dentist. She has lost trust in them and is also very phobic, and I can't blame her. When she was young her mother could only afford minimal dental care from dental schools and some of her horror stories would scare anyone away from the dentist for sure. Now that I have gone through all of these procedures I am planning on gently persuading her to go, because if I can do it, she can too, and so can all of the other phobics out there.

I still don't trust most dentists. The more they do on you, the more they will gain monetarily $$. If I had gone to the dentist that I met several months ago instead of shopping around, I would be without at least 2 teeth and I would have many root canals, gum graphing and cavities. I believe that I found an honest dentist and it took awhile but was well worth the wait. DO not settle, you are paying so much money for work that you do NOT have to settle. And it can't hurt to get as many opinions on what work you need to get done as possible, you might be surprised that it isn't as bad as you think.

In my humble opinion, the key is in going to several different dentists, preferably sedation dentists, and simply meeting with them to see if you feel comfortable around them, all things considered. If you are successful in your findings, 6 hours of work will feel like 5 minutes (trust me!) and you will be overjoyed that you overcame your biggest fears and are no longer in pain/self conscious about your teeth. Also, don't let a dentist that scares you upon your first visit to scare you off completely, there are decent dentists out there. And don't feel guilty if you go through 10 dentists and months of searching to find the right one. I felt as though my phobia was keeping me from "liking" the dentists that I met with and that it was just my fear, but once I met the right one I felt so much better.

Again, thanks everyone for the support.
Meg

SportHorse
02-25-2006, 10:19 PM
Wow Meg, 6500 sounds like a deal for all that!! I am so happy for you that you got the work done. I was so excited about what I had done - I cant imagine how elated you must feel! Im also really happy for you that you feel more comfortable and will have sedationless cleanings. That is a huge step and you should be very proud of yourself! Its absolutely great that you found a dentist that you can feel comfortable with :D Excellent story, very inspiring!!

yugokid
02-25-2006, 10:55 PM
i think i may just opt to get numbed up, i had 3 shots to numb a very infected wisdom tooth and it did not bother my heart.

debbiej205
02-26-2006, 07:23 AM
I just wanted to say that I was so afraid of the dentist that I would live with the pain. I'm 48 years old and now that I'm older I regret that I did not take care of my teeth. I have always worked and had dental insurance. It pains me to think that I did not use it. I should have a beautiful set of teeth but I was afraid to deal with the dentist. Well, in 2003 I was diagnosed with Congestive Heart Failure. The doctors said that this condition is sometimes caused by a virus. After many tests they could not find a virus in my system. When I think about it I believe the bad teeth in my mouth may have contributed to my heart problems. Last year I decided to go to the dentist and I've had all my back teeth pulled. The dentist have managed to save my front teeth (top and bottom) and now I am working on getting my partials. I am so thankful that I found a gentle dentist. I actually interviewed several dentists until I found one that was sensitve to my phobia. The procedures have not been has bad as I thought. I just want to say please take care of your teeth! Get over the phobia! If you don't you will regret it down the line. By the way, my heart condition is under control with meds and I'm on the way to a point where I can smile without being embarressed. Let's take care of our bodies.

Meg82
02-26-2006, 01:01 PM
I just wanted to say that I was so afraid of the dentist that I would live with the pain. I'm 48 years old and now that I'm older I regret that I did not take care of my teeth. I have always worked and had dental insurance. It pains me to think that I did not use it. I should have a beautiful set of teeth but I was afraid to deal with the dentist. Well, in 2003 I was diagnosed with Congestive Heart Failure. The doctors said that this condition is sometimes caused by a virus. After many tests they could not find a virus in my system. When I think about it I believe the bad teeth in my mouth may have contributed to my heart problems. Last year I decided to go to the dentist and I've had all my back teeth pulled. The dentist have managed to save my front teeth (top and bottom) and now I am working on getting my partials. I am so thankful that I found a gentle dentist. I actually interviewed several dentists until I found one that was sensitve to my phobia. The procedures have not been has bad as I thought. I just want to say please take care of your teeth! Get over the phobia! If you don't you will regret it down the line. By the way, my heart condition is under control with meds and I'm on the way to a point where I can smile without being embarressed. Let's take care of our bodies.

First, I want to thank everyone, esp. sporthorse for all of the responses you've contributed. I consider this post and others a little bit of a "dental phobics anonymous" meeting, it has been very therapeutic and helpful for me and I hope for others. A little bit of dental phobia goes a long, long way. It is so nice to "meet" people who share the fears and feelings that I do about dental work.

Debbie, you are absolutely right, going to the dentist can actually save someones life. Even still, it is a wonder how our phobias keep us from doing so, despite our logical minds, knowing that we are comprimising our health with every passing day of infection and decay in our mouths. I can only hope that in time, dental work will become even more advanced and less midevil and painful and scary, and that more and more dentists are like the ones that we have found and trust so much. Thank you so much for sharing...
Until later,
Meg

Anti Social
03-04-2006, 07:11 PM
Hi all..I may be a lil late checking in as I had no computer for about 2 months..Anyway I got my 2 right wisdom teeth pulled..have to admit it wasnt that bad but at first I started crying when she came near me w/ the needle lol...felt like the dentist was breaking my jaw he was digging so hard!

Meg82
03-05-2006, 12:33 PM
Hi all..I may be a lil late checking in as I had no computer for about 2 months..Anyway I got my 2 right wisdom teeth pulled..have to admit it wasnt that bad but at first I started crying when she came near me w/ the needle lol...felt like the dentist was breaking my jaw he was digging so hard!

Great! I was wondering what happened to ya! Glad to hear that it is done and that you let them give you the shots! I just had 11 novacaine shots a little over a week ago...sheesh! But the good news is...you'll never have to go through that again, unless you sprout new wisdom teeth and I doubt that will ever happen!
Take care,
Meg

LeanneUk
03-06-2006, 06:14 PM
Hi amanda, i am in the uk but unfrotunatley not surrey. I have a major dental phobia in which i had not been to the dentist since i was 11, im 23 now and my teeth are in a very bad condition. Two weeks ago i had very bad toothache, so bad i could not eat or sleep, so i thought i had better tackle my fears and go to the dentist, so anyway i got an appointment within 3 days...i was very nervous but i managed, i was given a corse of antibiotics to clear the infection and i have to go back this thursay (9th march) to get the root removed i also need fillings and extractions. Like you i also suffer from anxiety and panic attacks i have done for over 3 years, so even stepping out of the front door is a chore for me lol. I can honestly say my visit to the dentist was not that bad at all, i thought id start to panic but suprisingly i felt quite calm and it went well. But now ive been once im not as nervous to go back it was just making that first step. So good luck Amanda hope all goes well xxx :)

in reply to .....

Jess_Son
03-17-2006, 10:02 PM
Thank you everyone for the encouragement and good luck. Today was great, I remember very little, I was not nervous at all, felt no pain, was not aware of the 11 shots of novacaine that they gave me, I was alllll kinds of messed up, but that is what it takes to get me into the dreaded dentist's chair and I HIGHLY reccommend it to all phobics like myself. Don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions about sedation dentistry, I have had both IV and oral and I loved them both (though I came out of the procedure inan awful mood today - must be a side effect) :-)
Until later,
Meg

Hi, love the info you've given. I was wondering what exactly you felt when you did come to during oral sedation? Can you tell you're at the dentist? Or are you totally "out of it"? What's it like when you first begin sedating... I'm a control-freak, so I'm kind of nervous I'll feel the sense of losing control and have a panic. Or is it so strong that you just let go without realizing it?

Any answers would help.

jhule10
03-17-2006, 11:08 PM
I understand about trust issues, Physical pain is more easier to tolerate than a bad dentist who is unpredictably angry. I hate that feeling of being at someone's mercy because they have technical knowledge that is hard to argue with.
I had an arrogant dentist who was very disrespectful and defensive, and did very poor work. I sent him a letter explaining why I was not coming back for replacement of the bridge after being scolded by him for getting a second opinion and a call from my other dentist to say the work needed to be redone. His email back to me made me out to be a fruitcake and he insists he offered to replace it when I first complained- a lie. My new dentist is very calm, reassuring and compassionate. The cost of the work I will have to have from failed dentistry is staggering and that is what I am afraid of. I will file a grievance with the state and go to small claims court. It has really affected me because I felt violated.

Anti Social
03-23-2006, 04:40 PM
Great! I was wondering what happened to ya! Glad to hear that it is done and that you let them give you the shots! I just had 11 novacaine shots a little over a week ago...sheesh! But the good news is...you'll never have to go through that again, unless you sprout new wisdom teeth and I doubt that will ever happen!
Take care,
Meg

Yeah im glad I had it done also,but I still have my two left one's...So im guessing I will eventually have to have them removed down the road

Meg82
04-24-2006, 03:40 PM
Hi, love the info you've given. I was wondering what exactly you felt when you did come to during oral sedation? Can you tell you're at the dentist? Or are you totally "out of it"? What's it like when you first begin sedating... I'm a control-freak, so I'm kind of nervous I'll feel the sense of losing control and have a panic. Or is it so strong that you just let go without realizing it?

Any answers would help.

Sorry that I am late in responding, great question. I am also a control freak and I think sedation is so great because you are instantly aware when you wake up. There is no "where am I?" or "what just happened to me?" or anything like that, and to be honest, even if those feelings were present, you are generally pretty euphoric and "dumb" when you come-to, so all of the things you are worried or wondering about feeling now, you won't at all when you are actualy sedated. Plus when you realize (which you will) that you just had work done that you were SO scared about, you feel happy and relieved that it is over! The beauty of sedation is that they now have fast-acting anecdotes, and if they feel that you are too sedated, or you complain of not liking the sedation, they can "wake you up" right away to virtually the same sober mindset you had prior to the surgery. I could go to work the day after sedation but it is best to take a day or two for recovery, especially if you are having extensive work done. The hardest part for me was not coming-to immediately after my surgeries but rather the next day, dealing with sweating and feeling yucky while the sedation medication worked it's way out of my system. Of course I was sedated for 6 hours which is pretty extreme. I am highly sensitive though. I am 5'4, 98 lbs, I get nauseous easily, I don't like feeling out of control or dizzy, I don't use drugs b/c the way that they make me feel scares me. I love dental sedation, oral and IV. (I sound like a junkie, haha!) It is very controlled and a great way to get your dental work done without the tears, anxiety, fear, embarrassement, etc etc etc.
Thank you all for writing and sharing stories. I hope we can all keep in touch. As far as my personal progress, I recently got a permanent crown and it is great, looks better than my natural teeth! I do have a "soft spot" on a recently filled tooth that hurts only when the bristles of my toothbrush touch it, so I am going to see what that is all about. I am going in to get a tooth put onto my implant (which is sort of a screw coming out of my jaw) in a couple of weeks and they will be numbing the area to remove gum tissue and such. I am considering sedation but believe it or not, I think I may be able to do it with nitrous ONLY! I can't believe those words are even coming out of my mouth!

Good luck everyone, you are wonderful, dental phobia or not!

Meg82
04-24-2006, 03:50 PM
Forgot to touch on this question: "What's it like when you first begin sedating?"

This all depends on what the method of sedation is. Here is my experience:

With Halcion, I felt the effects about 15 minutes after taking it. I kept thinking I wasn't sedated and I would tell my boyfriend, "I don't feel anything", but when I look back, I was very relaxed. My eyes felt a little heavy, I do remember that. I felt fine and normal, but very relaxed, yet not scared, and in control, and what I rememebr most is driving to the dentist, my boyfriend was going 70 mph or so on the interstate but to me it felt like we were going 5 or 10...verrrry slow. I remember everything on the way to the dentist, but basically the halcion turned off the bad anxiety switches in my brain, I wasn't freaking out, crying, shaking, sweating or anything.

IV Sedation - One second you are watching them put the IV in, and the next you are waking up from your procedure. I was snoring during my procedure, but also talking a little and trying to text my boyfriend at times (though snoring most of the time). I don't remember anything. Yeah, it is kind of scary, you think, "did i talk about masturbation or something embarrasing?" but you get over it quickly when you realize that they have seen anything and everything and also, you need to have a sense of humor about it...it's more fun that way.

Triazolam doses (pill form and crushed with water) - This was great, and I was also on nitrous at the same time. My 6 hour appt. felt like 5 minutes. I don't remember much at all. I didn't relaly realize how far I was slipping into sedation but apparently I was b/c one second I was sitting in the chair aware, and the next they were wrapping up my procedure.

Valium - They gave me valium the night before. I slept like a baby, but I do advise not getting up after you take the valium because your joints do feel heavy and strange and it may cause a little nausea. I was having fun with it though...very interesting for someone who isn't into drugs like me - kind of fun!

All in all it is wonderful and I am happy to answer any other questions at all that anyone has....
Meg