PDA

View Full Version : ativan/amytriptylan addiction,my wife is addicted

matster
02-11-2006, 11:37 AM
i am married to a beutiful woman who struggles with ativan and now also is taking amytriptylan,she cant get enough sleep.any one have any input?

vmom
02-11-2006, 08:02 PM
Hi Mat,

I just posted my own addiction/problem but I will say one thing! I would love to have a husband who suported me and helped me look for ways to overcome this monkey.
As I have no real experiece I will just send you "well done" and "it's refreshing to see such deep love".
Best wishesk
Elizabetch

Blasterboy
02-12-2006, 02:01 AM
Amitriptyline is not addictive physically although I guess some could get physologically addicted to the help it gives in aiding sleep.

I use it for a cronic pain condition and it helps better than any benzo in aiding a good nights sleep, even whilst I'm in pain. I take up to 75mg a night, always before bed. This is the maximum usual dose for a pain patient, but to treat someone who's got depression problems (it is actually an anti depressant, one of the oldest on the market, cept St Johns Wort of course,) a dose of over 150 a day would be needed.

Why is she using it? Regarding the Ativan, that is physically additive, but I don't know much about that, other than if you can do without it, then best to do so!

MYSISSYGIRLS
02-12-2006, 04:46 PM
Hi,

Sorry To Hear Your Story I Know Well How It Is To Live With Someone Addicted , My Daughter Is An Addict.i Give You Much Praise For Standing Beside Her And Trying To Get Help.
The First Thing I Would Suggest Is To Check With Her Doctor And See If Why Them Particular Medicines Are Being Prescribed.they Are Pretty Old And Also There Are Im Sure More Advanced Meds That She Could Benefit From. Were They Treating Anxiety And Depression.thats What Them Meds Are Usually Used For, If So There Are So Many New Drugs Out There That Are Less Harmful, Less Addictive And More Beneficial In Treating Depression/anxiety.

Paxil For Example Is One That Treats Both And Also Helps With Sleep. Xanax Is Also More Widely Prescribed For Anxiety Than Ativan But Is Also Addictive If Not Taken Properly.
If Her Doctor Will Not Prescribe Something To Help Her Get Off These Meds And Get On Something Less Addictive Then I Would Definately Consider Another Doctor.
If She Does Suffer From Anxiety And Depression Check Out The Message Board For Anxiety Depression On Here That May Give You Some Ideas Of How Better To Treat.

Be Sure To Read The Post Here And Feel Free To Come Here For Advice Or Just To Vent.thats What Were All Here For And The People On Here Are Great And Have Been Very Beneficial To Me With My Daughters Addiction.
Take Care & Good Luck,
Tami

MYSISSYGIRLS
02-15-2006, 08:16 PM
Hi,
Just Checking To See How You Were Doing?hope Ok And Hanging In There.
Tami