PDA

View Full Version : Pregnancy & breast growth - effect on moles?

mommy5
02-21-2006, 08:20 AM
First of all I have to say that I am VERY paranoid about getting skin cancer. My aunt (moms side, in her 50's) and my first cousin (dads side, only 27) have both had melanoma and everyone in my family seems to have these freaky moles all over. I have several that are raised and oddly shaped but have been there forever and haven't changed.

However there is one on my breast that has become darker rather quickly although it has always been raised. However I am 8 months pregnant and have gone from a B to a D cup so there has been significant growth there as well. It seems like it has gotten bigger but I can't really tell, it's really only the size of a baby's fingernail. It started out nearly skin color and is now light brown in areas.

Everyone has told me that moles and freckles will change during pregnancy and just to wait until after the baby's born to have it looked at if it still concerns me. It doesn't hurt or itch or anything and isn't even close to being as dark as some I have. I feel like I'm being paranoid over nothing but I can't help it.

So do I just wait as everyone says and assume it's due to the pregnancy? Does anyone know if breast growth could have any effect on moles? Also, do we develop new moles as we age? (Forgot to mention that I am 27) I don't know if anyone can help me but I'm just looking for some answers.

Thanks!

Ga Lady
03-12-2006, 10:56 AM
I dont know if you found your answer somewhere else ornot but I will answer it with a "YES! Pregnancy and breast growth would change your mole on your breast."

I had the same experience when I had my last baby. It was skin colored then pinkish and brownish and I had it taken off, but stupid me dint think nothing of it when the Dr didnt send it off for biopsy. He just threw it away. Today I often wonder if it was a melanoma because I ended up with one on my arm on the same side and "kind of ' resembled the one on my breast. Pregnancy and hormones will make moles darker. Skin patches darker. Moles grow sometimes. PLEASE WATCH THEM DUE TO YOUR GENETIC MAKEUP!

cookie216
06-18-2006, 06:04 PM
Interesting I found a post asking the exact thing I have been wondering! I have had a mole on my breast for a long time. I am in my second trimester - but while hasn't gotten wider - part of it has elevated - almost feels like a skin tag. I have an appt. to get it checked out on the 29th of this month - but, can hormones cause this change too? I am so worried!

mommy5
07-22-2006, 01:15 PM
A bit of an update. My daughter is 3 months old now and the color of the mole has faded and is almost back to looking the way it did before I was pregnant. So I guess it's nothing to worry about but I will be keeping an eye on it.