PDA

View Full Version : Rapidly growing & spreading basal cell?????

snoopshad
03-21-2006, 01:18 PM
Many years ago I was dx'ed with basal cell just under my lower lip. It was removed very successfully. Approximately 2 mos. ago, I noticed a small reddish pimple which turned into a rather large (approx. 2 cm. in diameter) what my doc. *assumed* is basal cell due to past history. This particular ulceration is very different from my first bout. It is growing very rapidly and appears to have spread into the nasal septum (there is a lump inside my nose as well as loss of skin). As well, the basal cell (?) is very itchy and somewhat painful. It is not the usual round volcanoish type that I am familiar with - instead it is irregular and crusty. The only references to basal cell on the 'net is it is slow growing and NOT painful or itchy. My question is:

1. Does this sound like basal cell?
2. Because removal of the basal cell (particularly in the nose and lip) would be very disfiguring, why have it (them) removed?

I would appreciate whatever information I can find.
Thx.

JS8568
03-21-2006, 06:27 PM
I could be way off here...but the first thing I thought of was a cold sore. Many people will get them on their face on, around or in their nose. If you've never experienced a cold sore (which is the herpes virus), the 1st time can be a whopper...they spread quickly & can be large in nature. They begin as a blister & eventually become "crusty" and they can be very painful. Very contagious and you should never mess with it.

Approx. 80% of the population carries the herpes virus...some of us just don't ever show signs & sometimes there is always the 1st time.

If it is...taking the RX Valtrex within the first 24 hours of symptoms helps tremendously! Just a thought...good luck!

JS8568
03-21-2006, 06:28 PM
Sorry, I just re-read your post...a cold sore would not last 2 months...it could last 2 weeks.

Belle2003
03-22-2006, 12:29 AM
Have you gone to a dermatologist yet to have it diagnosed?

I have had two BCC and none were painful or itchy. They did however look totally different from each other. The second one I had looked like it could possibly be a pimple. I would try popping it but nothing would come out. It grew very fast, but was not pink.

The first one I had was on my nose. It was like a flesh colored hard lump. It was not removed until it had been on my nose for about three years. When I showed it to my derm on year 2 he said that it was nothing. On year 3 it was bleeding and never healing. It was on the side of my nose. It was about 3/4 the size of my baby finger nail. It had grown deep. The MOHS surgeon had to cut it 4 times until he got clear margins. He did a fantastic reconstruction with two different kinds of lasers. They can do wonders today.

If it is a BCC it does have to be removed. It will spread and eventually on its own become disfiguring. It will bleed and never heal and look like you have a skin disease on your face (which you would if it were a BCC). Over time it could potentially enter your bone.

I would have it biopsyed before I panic. It could be something we just haven't thought of. If it is a BCC have a MOHS surgeon take care of you. I lucked out because mine not only did the surgery, but the reconstruction too.

Since your bump is itchy and painful I would bet that it is not BCC or cancer at all. Go see a dermatologist soon so he can prescribe the right medication to get rid of whatever it is and you can relax. :)

snoopshad
03-22-2006, 07:14 AM
Thanks for your responses. It is definately skin cancer which has been confirmed now it is just a matter of what type. Apparently it appears it is a mix of basal and squamous.

Belle2003
03-24-2006, 08:17 PM
Gee I am sorry to hear that. Go to a MOHS surgeon so you have less scarring. My MOHS surgeon was at a teaching university/hospital (Stanford) and he did the surgery and reconstruction. Perhaps you can find a doctor like that where it is all in one. My thoughts are with you. I know how distressing this can be especially when it is the second time around. I became totally paranoid of the sun. It took over a year to be a little less guarded.