PDA

View Full Version : How long is too long?

Ladypepper
04-07-2006, 12:19 PM
Hi again, I am curious if anyone has or knows where I can get info on how quickly MM spreads... I had my biopsy the end of January, got the diagnosis the beginning of Feb. Was led to believe it is urgent and here it is April 7th and I am still waiting for my surgery.

Middleagedcrazy
04-08-2006, 01:37 AM
Hi Lady, I am new to this subject. Ga Lady is very knowledgeable and I am sure she will answer your question when she returns after the weekend. If I were you, I would call and tell them you want this done at once. I hate being jerked around by doctors. Just for your own peace of mind. I find it hard to believe they are making you wait so long.

Middleagedcrazy
04-08-2006, 01:41 AM
I just saw your other thread. Did you get bumped from Thursday?

Ladypepper
04-08-2006, 10:19 PM
Yes, it was first scheduled for Tuesday & cancelled. Then for Thursday and cancelled again. Now it is supposed to be Wednesday the 12th. But until I am there and in the process of it, I won't count on it. LoL.

Ga Lady
04-10-2006, 03:22 PM
Lady Pepper,

I am a wee bit concerned of you waiting that long. I do know at our office we work the MM in sooner (even if it takes all of our lunch time) for a MM diagnosis. Normally within one week. Now yours possibly could be a MM insitu that has clear margins just from the biopsy itself and they are "prolonging" for their own benefit but I would be looking at other options as in having your pathology reports sent to another facility that could possibly get you in sooner. ALWAYS get your path report. A copy of the "ORIGINAL" report. ALWAYS ALWAYS! I stress that to everyone. Because so many people don't know the "pros or cons" of the MM and it's so nice to sit down and pretty much research your own on the "legitimate" sites of MM. I can't tell you where to look but I am sure you can use key words and find information you are looking for. I am sorry that I am not much help in this but IF it were me, I'd be doing something alot sooner than what they are doing for you. I would DEMAND action. Even if it meant "showing your tail feathers" because, in the midst of the saga of a derm's office; some lose the fact that they are actually dealing with human beings. I am so thankful our derm isn't that way. He is always prompt with "emergency" procedures. I thought two weeks was too long to wait. I was a "work in" so ....I know I didn't help you any...sorry but I am here for any other questions you might have.

Ladypepper
04-11-2006, 08:24 AM
Thank you Ga Lady. You are very helpful. I have not gotten a copy of my path report... actually didn't even know I could or what good it would do me. :) I figured I would not understand it anyway. LoL
I will try to get a copy of that. My surgery is scheduled for tomorrow now. I was told that it is malignant melanoma Clarks level of at least 4 and 2.7 mm Breslow depth. And it took me getting nasty to get that much info. I think it is because I do not have my own insurance so I am on state insurance right now to take care of this. I do thank you for your reply. :)

Ga Lady
04-11-2006, 03:41 PM
Lady Pepper,

Are you getting a Sentinal Node Biopsy done? If not, REQUEST ONE BEFORE THE SURGERY OF YOUR REMOVAL OF THE MM SPOT!

I pray that everything goes well with you also. I am oft times ashamed of our "health professionals" who put people on the back burner due to "lack of insurance"...My derm would NEVER do that...I have seen him "write off" charges for people who couldn't afford it. He loves helping people but more than that he knows NOT everyone has the benefits of good health insurance because it's so costly.

There are many things out there such as trials for mm and I would make sure that if I were you I would try to get into these trials for MM patients! Do what you can be VERY assertive and get what you have to. Your path reports are YOUR path reports. Don'tlet some wise butt nurse or medical assistant be rude to you over wanting you path reports. Thats their job. It's their responsibility to keep the patient informed! God Bless You and I pray for Healing in this time for you!

Ladypepper
04-11-2006, 03:51 PM
Thanks Ga Lady... Yes they are doing a Sentinel Node Biopsy tomorrow too. The closer it gets, the more nervous I get! LoL Thanks again, you are a huge help. ;) :D

Ga Lady
04-12-2006, 07:16 PM
Lady Pepper,

I hope everything turned out well for you today. Been thinking of you. I am sure you are tired and pretty "bogged" down today from all the surgery. You're in my prayers HuN!

Ladypepper
04-13-2006, 09:56 PM
I just posted about this on the other thread. I survived... don't know anything yet. It is pretty uncomfortable right now. Darvocet is my friend right now. :)