PDA

View Full Version : To Pale to tan?

bobshotme
05-22-2006, 09:04 PM
Me and my whole family is very very pale, and i want to get a tan but ive been told im too pale to tan. although my arms and legs have gotten alot more tan over the year from just being outside alittle bit more but not from actually going out and tanning. but compared to the average person they are still very pale. so i was wondering if going to a tanning salon would get me tan? or is it possible im too pale to tan much?

trg247
05-22-2006, 09:21 PM
call one of them and ask...can't hurt

take care
trg247

cookiepls
05-22-2006, 09:34 PM
Tanning is bad enough for medium toned skin but because you're fair-skinned, it would be even worse for you. Fair skinned people generally look older faster (much faster) when they try to tan.

A good sunscreen and a self-tanner will make you look good now, AND let you look good 20 years from now. OR
Fry your skin now to look good for a little while, and look like an old wrinkled woman 20 years from now.

Don't believe anyone who tells you tanning beds are safer either. They create the same problems as the sun.
A lot of the tanning salons offer spray-on tans now. They look hot. Just as good as a real tan.

rheanna
05-22-2006, 11:44 PM
bobshotme,

Some people simply don't have enough melanin in their skin to tan. Melanin is what reacts to ultraviolet light to turn skin darker. Generally speaking, peoples who have lived for generations near the equator have darker skin, to PROTECT them from the sun's rays. Ultraviolet rays are damaging to the skin. Wrinkles from years of sunning yourself are evidence of damage. Skin cancer is evidence of damage.

If you don't have the melanin in your skin to PROTECT you from the ultraviolet rays, then you'll burn. Burnt skin is damaged skin. The more often you burn your skin when you are young, the higher your risk of skin cancer when you're older.

It may currently be unfashionable for light-skinned people to go around with light skin, but you'll be happier when you're older if you accept what you've got.

--Irish Rheanna

mystic_star
05-23-2006, 06:51 AM
i too have very pale skin, but it don't really bother me anymore! I'm a brunette with light eyes and I think having dark hair against my skin is sexy as he**! It's all in how you view yourself! I'm happy enough about the way that I look that I'm not willing to risk skin cancer just to be darker. Also, I have a friend that I've known since high school and we are exactly 1 year apart (I'm a year older than her). She looks terrible because she's been out in the sun all of her life! She has deep wrinkles and saggy skin and most people that see her think she's in her late 40s! If it really bothers you that much, go buy a good self tanner that way you can have a nice color without all of the risks associated with tanning! Usually, fair people only have a very limited ability to tan even if they go to a tanning bed. Of course, if you call and ask them, they will say "of course you can tan" because they want your money!! Save your money and go get a self tanner! I use self tanner when I go on vacation, and it looks really nice! A good one to try is Neutrogena Sunless Tanning Spray. It sprays on like airbrush tanning, so you don't risk getting brown palms!

TheMamaLisa
05-23-2006, 09:57 AM
I am very very pale. As a matter of fact I glow. When my sister was working in a tanning salon i got to use a bed that is supposed to tan you in one session. Well it took me 2 sessions and boy did I have a tan. I will never do it again though. I could actually feel a tingling sensation on my skin from the bed. Maybe it was in my head maybe not. I would not recommend tanning especially being fair skinned. We already get UV rays from living and being fair skinned will dramatically increase your chance for skin cancer. Especially if you also have blue eyes, blond or red hair. I would seriuosly consider what ill health effects you may have and not worry so much how you look!

bobshotme
05-23-2006, 11:54 AM
So if i do a fake tan, if its done right it'll look real? and can i do my face with a fake tan? because i look like im dead in my face because its so pale and i need to get that tan. and if not i dont care, ill take my chances and go to a tanning salon, live fast die young....i dont really plan on living to long anyways with all the medical problems ive had and most my family ill probably get some kind of cancer at age 40 anyways.

mystic_star
05-24-2006, 07:39 AM
most of the tanners today offer the exact color you would get from the sun! You have to experiment with different ones to find out which is best suited for your skin. They make tanners especially for the face also. I have been pleased with the results I get when I use them. I've tried different ones, but I like Neutrogena Micro Mist Tanning Spray in 3 shades darker! Nice, even color!

bordrgrl
05-24-2006, 08:06 AM
Mystic Tan is a great option... a little pricey. Around here it is $25 for a session, and each one lasts about a week. But its a totally private booth, you strip, and it sprays you evenly all over. Very natural looking.
I also looooove Lancome self-tanner.

cookiepls
05-24-2006, 08:22 AM
bobshotme,

Love your name by the way! LOL
Yeah, the the lotions and spray on tans really do look great. Nothing like the orangy ones from the past. They range from a light hint of sun to deep dark tan and everything in between. I also use a bronzer powder on my face instead of makeup during the summer. Makeup just melts off my oily skin.

A dark tan would look very unnatural on a pale skinned person, so I would suggest you could look for one that says "light" on the label.

I'm thinking you're probably fairly young. Don't throw your youth away because you assume that your ongoing medical problems will shorten your life or give you cancer by the time you're 40. The "live fast, die young" motto usually bites people in the a*s. You just don't know what's going to happen between now and then. My hope is that you'll accept and like yourself, pale skin and all, and take care of and enjoy what you have now.

keepsgoin
05-24-2006, 09:23 AM
Some skin tones just cannot tan so if the sun doesn't tan you, a tanning bed won't either. Pale skin is much more prone to skin cancer also. I would suggest that you go to the "beauty and cosmetics" forum here and read about the sunless tanning products threads to find what everyone likes the best. I think that's your best bet!