PDA

View Full Version : Can you smell Tylenol?

o_janus_o
05-23-2006, 04:29 AM
Kind of a weird question, I know, but I can smell Tylenol when I take it. About the time that it's starting to kick in I get this weird sort of dusty smell in my nose. Does this happen to anyone else? Does anyone have any clue what could cause it? On rare occasions I smell it when I drink alcohol. I've had my liver function tested recently and it's fine so I don't know that it's my liver. Who knows though...?

mystic_star
05-23-2006, 07:01 AM
i'm a pharmacy technician and i'm around medicine all day. I have never noticed anything with tylenol in it that has a strong smell. Just regular tylenol don't have one (not that i can smell). Have you checked the expiration date? I do know that outdated drugs of any kind tend to have a stronger smell the longer they sit around. If not, maybe your nose is just very sensitive to smell!

o_janus_o
05-23-2006, 03:38 PM
It's not a smell of the actual pill, it's a reaction inside my body. For some reason after I take it I can smell a dusty smell when it kicks in. Really weird.

Sunlover
05-23-2006, 04:39 PM
That happens to me too!! But it's a lot worse with pure asperin! I always thought I was strange and never asked anyone about that - but I thank YOU for bringing it up! And it only happens if I walk OUTSIDE, I'm ok in the house! Is your worse outside? And you are right, it will happen around the time it "kicks in"! Wow! I'm not the only one!!! :D

o_janus_o
05-23-2006, 10:02 PM
How strange. I've never had it happen with aspirin at all! I guess that tells me it's not my liver, at least. That's good to know. I think that it might get worse when I'm outside. I notice it indoors, but when I was young and I first became aware of it I only noticed it outside. Maybe it's some strange combination of fresh air and a subtle change in our brain chemistry from the pain killers. How strange.

I think it's also worse if I take hydrocodone. Vicoden with acetamenophen(sp?) in it. It becomes very apparent then. It is really great to know that I'm not the only one, even if we dont know why.

Thanks for your reply! :wave:

sweeterthan
05-24-2006, 07:39 PM
I can smell Tylenol (acetaminophen) after I take it too. I can't really describe the smell, its a weird smell though, only with acetaminophen, no other otc pain relievers cause this. I thought it was just me! I have no idea what causes this but there must be others, glad I am not alone.

o_janus_o
05-25-2006, 12:43 AM
Wow! I'm really stoked that there are others out there! :D I don't know why I was so bothered by this. I wasn't too concerned. I guess it's just sometimes good to know you're not the only one. Yay! :bouncing:

kattjo5220
05-25-2006, 05:52 AM
Me too. I notice it more if I take tylenol on an empty stomach. I get more of a burn kind of.

Katt