PDA

View Full Version : What's Your Diagnosis? Numbness in Fingers

jeffb0
06-12-2006, 04:33 AM
Good morning! :)

All of a sudden, for the last three mornings when I awake from a deep sleep, my pinky and ring fingers on my left hand are numb. My other fingers are not numb, just those two. They only remain numb for about 5-10 seconds after I wake up. It's weird, IMHO.

I'm 35 years old and in pretty good overall health. It's so odd, I figured I'd ask here and see if anyone could offer any insight. Thanks much!

feelbad
06-12-2006, 06:13 AM
could be a nerve problem in either the c spine or in that particular arm somewhere.but the nerve is most definitely being affected somewhere.starting with an MRI done on the c spine,with special emphasis at the c 8 nerve level(while you do not actually have a c 8 vertebrae,you DO have a c 8 nerve)this would be the nerve that has control over the two last fingers you mentioned.if there is some sort of an issue within the c spine at that particular area(like herniated or bulged disc,or bone spurs...)you would get,in most cases,affectation of the two fingers you stated you are having the problems with.

but on the other hand,this c 8 nerve is actually the ulnar nerve which rins down thru out the arm starting at that c 8 level in the c spine area so it would also be a possibility that this could be affected from anywhere along the way,even possibly something like carpal tunnel syndrome.

the best thing to do would be to see your doc who can do an eval on your symptoms and then possibly send you for an MRI on your c spne to see if anything is actually affecting it up there,if not it would most likely be a problem somewhere along the arm.

just see your doc and go from there.good luck,and please keep me posted.**

Angel77
06-12-2006, 09:27 AM
The ulnar nerve can do this. It is the "funny bone" nerve, and can cause numbness in the two fingers you are talking about. I would wager that most likely you are sleeping on your arm funny and compressing this nerve and when you move and restore the blood flow, it's fine...if in doubt, check it out.

jeffb0
06-12-2006, 09:41 AM
Haha! Both excellent replies -- THANK YOU. I will make it a point to try and remember exactly how I'm lying in bed when I wake up in the morning.

TheMamaLisa
06-12-2006, 09:44 AM
Have you ever been evaluated for carpal tunnel syndrome. It may be as simple as wearing writst braces at night while you are sleeping. Now I am not a Dr but I have herniated disks in my neck as well as spinal stenosis and the pain and numbness from my neck generally dont make it all the way into my hand although it does for other people. To me it does not sound like somthing stemming from your neck. Sounds like its from sleeping on your arms funny like the previous poster said. Since it has only been a few days watch it and if it continues then go to the Dr. The Dr most likly wouldnt offer MRI as a first line of treatment/diagnosis but would approach it conservativly with braces or physical therapy then go from there if symptoms dont improve.