PDA

View Full Version : cold sore? herpes?-HELP

Jocey_11
06-19-2006, 09:15 PM
cold sore? herpes? -HELP I have been getting these cold sores outside of my mouth for a couple weeks now and they are not going away. I recently have done some oral. Could this be a sign of herpes even though he doesnt think he has anything??

Rolex
06-19-2006, 11:58 PM
go to the dr. and get a prescription. They hve drugs for this.

Jon7346
06-20-2006, 07:31 AM
Did you have them before?

I wouldn't do ANYTHING with your mouth if you suspect cold sores. Don't share a drink, kiss....NOTHING. You could have been exposed to the virus at some point and just now getting them.

Go to the docs and see whats up. Stress will make them worse.

GloryGurl
06-20-2006, 09:16 AM
cold sore? herpes? -HELP I have been getting these cold sores outside of my mouth for a couple weeks now and they are not going away. I recently have done some oral. Could this be a sign of herpes even though he doesnt think he has anything??

Hi Jocey, A "cold sore" or "fever blister" is Herpes simplex 1. Herpes in the genital area is Herpes Simplex 2. As already asked by a previous poster, have you always suffered with cold sores or is this something totally new? People who suffer from intermittant outbreaks of coldsores are carriers of the Herpes Simplex 1. The virus can be spread person to person with just an innocent kiss. Unfortunately often times once a person is exposed they then can carry the virus and spread it to others.

Many people dont realize that if they are a carrier of the Herpes Simplex 1 and have an active coldsore on or around their mouth and then perform oral sex on a person they can expose that person to Herpes Simplex 2 !

If you havent had a previous problem with coldsore outbreaks, due to the fact that you have done some oral and that you are having some troubles getting rid of them, I would most definately go to the doctors to be checked.

Good Luck,
GloryGurl

aswaer
06-21-2006, 11:52 AM
Jocey,

Herpes Simplex 1 infections never go away. They just lie dormant in the skin's nerves until something triggers it (sometimes sun, sometimes a hit to the mouth, and often stress). A typical outbreak takes 2 weeks to clear up.

You will discover that you get a certain tingling on your mouth that signals the beginning of new outbreaks. A common antiviral called acyclovir (generic name) is very useful in halting the outbreaks if you catch it in time. A large dose of acyclovir at the start of an outbreak will usually make it stop wherever it is in the cycle. For instance, if a few blisters have begun to pop up, you can stop them before they get any bigger. I usually use about 600 mg of Acyclovir (3 200 mg pills) in this manner.

Valtrex is another common antiviral used to treat herpes. Valtrex is essentially an extremely large dose of acyclovir, and it's used preventively, mostly for genital herpes, but it can work the same way for Herpes Simplex 1. People who take it daily have far fewer outbreaks than those who don't. However, since you don't have Genital Herpes, I'd be inclined not to treat yourself everyday - why expose yourself to the meds for just oral Herpes?

Although doctors prescribe Acyclovir throughout an outbreak, I have personally found that Acyclovir is useless once the blisters have matured. I have found this drug is extremely useful in minimizing the growth - but you must take the drug during the early tingling stage. Nothing will speed up the rate of healing once the blisters have formed.

I think that Acyclovir is sold under the brand name "Zovirax".

Also, I have found the Acyclovir cream to be useless. Only the pills taken at the time of tingling are effective.

plasva
06-21-2006, 05:22 PM
Hi,

Some people's cold sores are healed more quickly by taking L-Lysine. You can buy capsules at a health food store. I'd suggest 500 mg/day at the start of an outbreak. Some people have to take 1000 mg/day. Take only during an outbreak because long-term use of a single amino acid could cause amino acid imbalance. Be sure to use L-lysine, not D or DL-lysine.

They also make lip balms containing L-lysine (or lysine) for helping heal cold sores.

Although you probably did not develop the cold sores from having oral sex, it's possible. It's more likely you have had this virus in your system for most of your life (most people get it as children) and the summer sun, etc. is causing the outbreak.

Lipbalm containing SPF (sunscreen) may help prevent outbreaks in the future.

Don't perform oral sex while you have a cold sore; wait until it's completely healed and gone away. Don't perform oral sex if you suspect you're about to get a cold sore. (The other poster is right; it could possibly transmit to your boyfriend's genitalia and give him genital herpes.)