PDA

View Full Version : Weird Clumped Mole-Type Things

MoonLight0
07-05-2006, 06:00 PM
I'm really starting to get scared at this point so I really need some advice about what to do.

I have to admit that I have burned in the sun many times as a child since I NEVER used sunscreen. Than about 6 years ago I went to the beach and didn't apply sunscreen. I was out in the sun for about 7 hours, no protection (stupidest decision of my life). I got second degree burns almost all over my body (mainly my legs). After spending almost two weeks in bed in unbearable pain, I went to see a doctor who analyzed my legs and prescribed pills for healing.
She told me not to expose myself to the sun like that again or else I could get cancer (as if I didn't already know this on my own).

Since then I haven't been exposing myself to the sun almost at all... except maybe if I'm hanging out in the park for a few hours. I don't lay in the sun directly or anything, and I usually wear pants so I don't wear sunscreen anywhere except on my face and (sometimes) my arms.

Well, I thought I was fine... but than later I discovered these two mole-like things on the right side of my body... kind of around the shoulder area, except lower... it's on the side so it's almost next to my arm pit.

Anyway, I don't know how long ago it was that I discovered two small bumps, but I didn't think much of it since that part of my body didn't burn much, my clothes pretty much cover that part all the time, and the color is very light so they're barely noticable (but they are raised slightly, maybe like 1 milimeter).
Well, I've been checking up on these two spots (they're right next to each other) occasionally and they didn't change much at all. I looked them today and they seem a bit darker. I did apply a self tanner on a couple of days ago, so they could be darker because of that... but I'm not 100% positive.

They don't seem to be getting bigger, but I'm not completely sure about that either. There hasn't been a whole lot of noticable change over the past year or so. But now I've noticed two much smaller bumps in the same area, and another one higher up closer to my shoulder. I don't know whether I've had these all along, or if they're just more noticable because of the self-tanner darkening and all that.

I haven't been feeling any different or had any other skin issues.
I don't know anything about skin cancer except what I've read online just today... but it's all put into terms that I hardly undertand. I've also looked at pictures of some skin cancers (scary stuff) and the only picture that these bumps kind of resemble is basal cell carcinoma... except this part of my body is pretty much never exposed to the sun.
After I read more about it I'm really, really afraid and I don't know exactly what to do.

I kind of want to go see a doctor to make sure, but I'm soooo afraid.
If someone could please give me advice on what to do I would greatly appreciate it... because I don't know what to do at this point and I don't know whom to tell. Nobody I know has ever had skin cancer so I just have no idea what to do.
Thanks!

BonBe
07-06-2006, 09:59 AM
Hello and I am sorry you are so worried. It is amazing how we punish our bodies for what???

I am stage 2 melanoma and now with a form of it on my eye, due for surgery. I never wore sunglasses either back in the days of long long ago.

However, no one here can help with telling you whats what. I would however strongly suggest that you go to a qualified dermatologist to get all moles checked. Tell the truth about the overexposure (I am sure you would) and they and only they can explain, and if itis a concern, they will take care of you.

Sometimes you may need a referral from your family doctor, and I would urge you to seek their opinion.

Keep us informed.

BonBe

~Kaelie
07-07-2006, 04:10 AM
I hope not to scare you with this, but this information is not as widely known as it should be.

Your skin is one organ. When you expose one area to harmful rays, you cause a reaction in the whole organ. All moles should be watched for changes, not just those that have been exposed to the sun.

MoonLight0
07-11-2006, 10:19 AM
Thanks for the replies. I'll have to go check it out soon.