PDA

View Full Version : big, flat moles

loralei
07-07-2006, 01:06 PM
I am very fair skinned but I've had big and flat moles my whole life. They really make me hate myself sometimes. My dermatologist refuses to remove them unless they are suspicious looking. He insists the scars would be far worse than the moles.

So I asked about a plastic surgeon, but he said even a surgeon wouldn't make it look good. And there are no lasers that remove moles?

I am 24 and I never sunbathe but I still get new moles all the time. It's terrible. Recently- I got one that sticks out. It got caught on something and it's bleeding. Ugh what can I do?

loralei
07-07-2006, 01:15 PM
maybe this should be moved to skin problems...

Ladypepper
07-08-2006, 10:04 PM
I am not sure if there is a laser or anything. I just think that if you want them removed for whatever reason, even cosmetic, it is your body and they should do it. You just need to tell them that it is what you want. But by the same token, if removal causes scars, it wouldn't make much sense cosmetically. Ya know?

Ga Lady
07-09-2006, 09:18 AM
I am very fair skinned but I've had big and flat moles my whole life. They really make me hate myself sometimes. My dermatologist refuses to remove them unless they are suspicious looking. He insists the scars would be far worse than the moles.

So I asked about a plastic surgeon, but he said even a surgeon wouldn't make it look good. And there are no lasers that remove moles?

I am 24 and I never sunbathe but I still get new moles all the time. It's terrible. Recently- I got one that sticks out. It got caught on something and it's bleeding. Ugh what can I do?

There are lasers that can perform this BUT, if you were born with this, it is a congential nevus, which in the long run, COULD possibly give you problems if it changes BUT, I know a dr who removed a congential nevus off of a girls'arm that was bigger around than a softball. It had the "potential" to turn into something down the road because it had all the characteristics. Her insurance still would not cover it, The Dr was even up set because he didnt give a cosmetic code on this. But it was as a susp lesion. He didnt know if it was cancerous or not until the results came back. But the girl paid over 2000 out of her pocket to have this removed. And she even said it was because she was so self conscous of it but more than that she didnt knowi f anything was lurking with int his huge mass of "pigment" that she couldnt see. I dont understand some of these insurance companies. But a dr who wont take off a mole at YOUR request in my opinion is NOT doing right! At all!