PDA

View Full Version : First Visit to Dermatologist - 3 Biopsies!

Warren123
08-09-2006, 03:03 PM
I posted this on the Skin board before I knew there was a skin cancer board, so I am re-posting it here:
-------------------------------
I went to a dermatologist for the first time in my life recently. I should have gone earlier because I am relatively fair skinned, have had some skin cancer in my family and used to get sun burned as a kid in the summer before the better sun screens came out (I'm 40 years old). I joke that I have the skin of an 80 year old because my skin tone is somewhat poor probably due to sun damage in the past, although I have generally been careful and kept out of the sun unprotected for the past 5 to 10 years. I have a lot of moles especially on my back but also on my stomach, chest of various sizes. I also have a lot of "skin tags" mostly under my arms.

Anyway, the dermatologist examined me and took a shaving biopsy of three of my moles. I was very alarmed by this although I have no experience with dermatology/dermatologists. I should get results back from the biopsies in about 10 days.

Any comments? I realize worrying does me no good, but has anyone else ever been to the dermatologist and gotten three biopsies at once? Do dermatologists often take a biopsy if there is little chance of cancer? Was he being extra cautious or am I fried?

jcjwillis
08-10-2006, 07:32 AM
You say you had three moles removed maybe they are checking each one of them. This is common. Are they running three tests on just one mole? This is a little less common but it sounds like they are being very careful and this is a good thing. Try not to worry and let us know what you find out.
Hope this helps a little!

wakkochic17
08-10-2006, 09:58 AM
the first time I ever went for a skin check (at 26) I had 2 biopsied. She wanted to do 3 but my insurance wouldn't cover it so she said to keep a strong eye on the one she didn't biopsy (thankfully that mole hasn't changed a bit in the last few years). So it's not abnormal. It's better to have too many checked then too little!

Warren123
08-16-2006, 09:43 AM
The biopsies were a bit more of a pain to heal than I thought. They are just about healed now almost a week later. Do they usually scrape deep, or is it just me taking a while to heal?

frogholler
08-17-2006, 04:25 PM
My husband had 6 or 7 moles biopsied on his first visit. Any suspicious moles are checked out and that is a good thing. He now has to go back in soon and have two more biopsied. So far, everything has been ok. He also has a lot of them on his back and chest. Don't worry. Better to be safe than sorry down the road. Good luck.:)

wakkochic17
08-18-2006, 11:33 AM
unfortunately it does take awhile for them to heal. It depends on the size of the mole as to how deep they go. I had two removed Tuesday so now I'm dealing with it as well.. one on my back (which of course is impossible to reach!!!) and one on my leg.. I get the results next week.

Warren123
08-21-2006, 10:20 AM
Update: One of the moles has been diagnosed as an "atypical melanocytic nevus" and I will need to have it surgically removed. The person from the doctor's office said that this is a pre-melanoma and its removal should mean that no more treatment is necessary. I hope she is right :(

wakkochic17
08-22-2006, 09:16 AM
hey.. my 2 moles I had removed a few years ago were diagnosed as that. There is a lot of controversy over "atypical nevus". Apparently people who have them have a higher risk of melanoma but it does NOT mean that the mole WILL turn into melanoma. Removal is the safest bet to be sure it doesn't. This just means, like me, you have to keep a close eye on your moles. I have new ones popping up every year so I have a feeling many more moles will be removed in my future. I still haven't heard anything from my biopsies last week, I guess I should call.
How big is the mole they need to remove?

Warren123
08-22-2006, 10:26 AM
It was the least "mole like" of all the ones I had biopsied in that it did not have a distinctly round or oval shape. It sort of had an odd irregular shape, and it was not very dark brown in color. I'd say it was maybe roughly the size of a penny or so. I did not call them because they told me no news is good news. Then when I got a message from them I was thinking, hmmm --- not good news....

cherman
08-23-2006, 10:45 AM
I to just went for my first time it is good to have everything checked I went and had a spot checka nd was told by two doctors it was not melanoma turns out it is I am having surgery tuesday to remove it and see where I go from there. SO good luck to you

Warren123
08-23-2006, 11:11 AM
Thanks Cherman, same to you.

The doctor did not have an opening for surgery until mid-September so they want me to come in this week and have a picture taken of it. I guess this is to see if it changes by the time the surgery occurs. To be honest, the biopsy sort of obliterated the mole and now all I can see is the scar from the biopsy. I'm not sure how much a picture of that will show them, but they are the experts....

cherman
08-27-2006, 03:06 PM
HI HOPE ALL IS WELL WITH YOU I go in on Tuesday than I will see where I go from there. My neighbor has Lung Cancer I just went to see him. Seems to be doing okay. I think they want him to do radiation I heard he is refusing.The waiting is the worst. Will let you know how I do. Lets keep the faith.

Cherman

Warren123
09-21-2006, 05:06 PM
Update: I had my procedure done to remove the atypical meanocytic nevus mole from my shoulder/neck. The procedure left a scar about 3 inches long and the doctor had to cauterize as he did it to stop the bleeding but it was no big deal. I get the stiches removed in 10 days....

cherman
09-24-2006, 09:44 PM
Hi Warren Good to hear your doing better. I have had my surgery which went very well for me went to oncologist Thursday. I am doing well I Have to go have some more tests done to be on the safe side. He said I am doing good. Have to go see him again in January.