PDA

View Full Version : GERD and ANXIETY which came FIRST??

Mike137100
09-06-2006, 12:29 PM
I have read alot on these boards, almost everyone who has GERD has anxiety also. Does anyone know if it is the anxiety that causes the GERD or does the GERD cause the Anxiety?

outlaw79
09-06-2006, 03:59 PM
I had panic disorder a few years before I got gerd..

HisKid1973
09-06-2006, 04:44 PM
I had GAD from a stressful job which eventually led to the acic reflux..I stated to pump stomach acid 30 minutes before work...God Bless>>kim

patricia jean
09-07-2006, 06:27 PM
My anxiety attacks started about 10 years ago, then five years later "ACID REFLUX ".... and the end of life as I knew it....:dizzy:

outlaw79
09-08-2006, 01:02 AM
Yeah my anxiety got way worse after gerd now life is horrible..But im still going

nanci2539
09-08-2006, 05:55 AM
This never made sense to me! When my doctors asked if I was under stress after my tenth visit concerning chronic gastritis; I would look at them like they had two heads.

Well Duh! If you free crappy most of the time, of course that initiates stress in your life! So, my feeling is if anyone has a chronic problem, that alone produces stress and I'm sure it doesn't help.

outlaw79
09-08-2006, 02:02 PM
Alot of Drs tell me that anxiety really dosen't effect Gerd this I dont belive becausae the stomach and anxiety have a strong link.That being said there has to be a weakness to get Gerd say a weak les or something,if you cure your anxiety it will imporve the Gerd cure it no.There is no cure for Gerd just ppi,and ant-reflux surgery..really no options for us guys.

grumpypants44
09-08-2006, 04:53 PM
I didn't have any anxiety prior to the GERD. The doctors kept asking about stress, but I didn't have any new stressors in over 5 years.

I do have anxiety now as I have this coughing/gagging events that cause me a lot of anxiety especially in meetings and professional phone calls. The anxiety probably makes the GERD worse in these situations.

Lexijones99
09-08-2006, 05:33 PM
I had anxiety first. I had anxiety for many, many years but it got really bad last September. My ex and I decided to separate and my mother was diagnosed with breast cancer...both in the same week. By November I was put on Xanax 3x/day b/c my anxiety was so bad. I didn't have reflux until one month after I stopped taking the Xanax. I don't know if there is a connection to the Xanax or the anxiety, but it does seem as though there could be.

aswaer
09-09-2006, 07:25 AM
I never experienced typical anxiety before developing LPR. I'm kind of the inattentive-ADD type, so things typically just roll off me and I'm always looking forward to the next challenge/distraction instead of dwelling on the momeent. But I did have one major stressor which preceded my getting LPR. I wonder if I developed LPR because I can't feel anxiety the way that anxious people describe it. My aunt and mother are both highly wound up, and admittedly anxious people - their hearts race and they have panic, but I never felt that (took after my Dad, I guess). So maybe my body had to express its reaction to this particular stressor in a more physical way. This is pretty typical - if I have big fight with my husband, for instance, the next day I'll get symptoms of shingles or something else. This past year, I've had 3 bouts of shingles just from fights with my husband! (Luckily they can be controlled with acyclovir - just take it when the tingling starts).

Anyway, when the LPR gets really bad, I have begun to feel strange anxiety symtpoms - heart beating faster for instance. But the heart symptoms are always always preceeded by throat symptoms - usually intense coughing, laryngeal spasms, etc. Since I'm an upright refluxer, these symptoms (both the laryngeal and the heart) immediately go away if I lie down. So how can anxiety explain them? I can turn them off just by changing my position.

So for me, LPR produces anxiety symptoms, because I am so revolted, disgusted, and ****** off at this rotten disease. If the symptoms start, I get very frustrated that not only do I have this condition, but that noone in my life can really believe how debilitating it is - that it isn't "just a cough". If there's anything to cause anxiety - that's probably it - the lack of respect for LPR as a chronic disease.

tlily
09-09-2006, 04:42 PM
For me the anxiety came first. I have been so much stress in my life that that the anxiety kept on building. Mother had 3 openheart suurgeries, daughter had open heart at 3years old and then again at 20 and a whole bunch of other things that kept me worrying a lot. Plus I love my job but it is very very stressful. Then this damn reflux came along and the anxiety gets worse and it is a vicious circle.

Yes I am ****** to that we all have to suffer with this disease. And I am tierd of people saying just take some tums. I wish it were that easy. I do not think anyone can really understand what we all go through unless they have it.

I am trying to do as I preach and so my anxiety exercises. Sometimes they help and sometimes nothing helps. Just have to take each day as it comes.

Tlily

jade in nc
09-11-2006, 06:58 PM
my husband's condition started the same way. He was under a lot ot stress hypertension received bad news that he had to undergo a angioplasty schduled it for the following week within the time he recieved the news had the procedure the anxiety has been off the charts and so has the gerd he is experiences heat flashes, gas, heart palpitations,dizziness,acid reflux lump in his thoart uneven breathing insomia.His cardiologist says it has nothing to do with his heart his procedure was more than successful . It is hard to convince him of that or control his anxiety.

dannic1
09-12-2006, 08:50 PM
I was stressed out in April and had anxiety. Also found out I may have OCD -never knew what it was before I started researching it and reading about it on the internet. Anyway, then I developed my GERD. I definitely think stress brings it about. Now I belch all the time - UGH!

thegardener
09-13-2006, 10:34 AM
You have asked an interesting question and it looks like it goes both ways. I actually made the connection between stress/anxiety and reflux and I made them both go away. Found out I had reflux earlier this year so I began dealing with it with just simple changes and no medicine. After a few weeks of paying attention to my symptoms I realized that this was the chain of events. Get busy and, therefore, stressed, tighten my chest, start to breathe shallowly, indigestion pain starts. I would also get dizzy from the rapid, shallow breathing. After I realized this, I began abdominal breathing when this started so that my breathing would stay deep. After a few days I broke this habit of doing this with stress and now I don't have reflux anymore. I don't know what the connection is between breathing correctly and indigestion? Anyway, for me, stress brought on reflux through improper breathing. I could get stressed without indigestion if the stress didn't change my breathing.

Stoney109
09-14-2006, 02:11 PM
i used to always be a stressed out and worrysome person over little things...then i had a major surgery, then the anxiety went through the roof after, being paranoid and stressed over nothing...i took care of that with meditation and self taught stuff..3 wks after i took care of it, here came the reflux..idk if the anxiety caused it or it was going to happen anyways..now here i am, one of the most relaxed, stress and anxiety-free ppl around probably. my ONLY prob is my health issues (reflux) now! if it was anxiety that causes it, being anxiety free cant CURE it, but it makes it better. idk, redic