PDA

View Full Version : Melanoma, do I need an oncologist?

westllen
10-01-2006, 03:56 PM
I had a malignant melanoma on my ear last winter, was referred to a plastic surgeon, had part of the ear removed. Then 5 months later they found a displastic nevi on the hip, pathology report came back and required a deeper, wider margin to be removed. That was all fine.

Should I see an Oncologist?

cherman
10-01-2006, 07:47 PM
Yes I would go see an oncologist. What kind of Melanoma do you have? I just seen one for the first time he put me through a bunch of tests. Just to be sure everything is okay and to have something to compare it to further down the road. I have Lentigo Melanoma skin Cancer on my face. I had it removed but the oncologist wants a bigger margin so I am having more removed on October 18 by a plastic surgeon.

So I would definitely consult with a oncologist.

westllen
10-02-2006, 07:56 AM
cherman, the melanoma on the ear was a "spitz nevi". The plastic surgeon took off a good chunk and then re-constructed the ear with skin from the head. He did a WONDERFUL job! The dysplastic one was removed with a 3" x 3" x 1/4" incision, that was done in July and has healed nicely. The one on the bottom of the foot was completely benign, but is having a hard time healing, that was done in Aug.

I am going back for another skin check at the end of the month, a couple of suspicious areas need looking after. I've been told I need to go every 3 months for skin checks, which is fine by me.

So you think I should still see an oncologist? Drs haven't said a word about seeing an oncologist.

wakkochic17
10-04-2006, 07:56 AM
it sounds like they are confident that they got all of the cancer when cutting the moles out.. dysplastic nevi is technically not cancer. It's a type of mole that CAN turn into melanoma (which is probably why they cut it out just to be safe), but does not have cancer cells present (I've had 4 dysplastic nevi removed and have several others on my body).

westllen
10-04-2006, 08:04 AM
it sounds like they are confident that they got all of the cancer when cutting the moles out.. dysplastic nevi is technically not cancer. It's a type of mole that CAN turn into melanoma (which is probably why they cut it out just to be safe), but does not have cancer cells present (I've had 4 dysplastic nevi removed and have several others on my body).

My only concern was since I had uterine cancer 11yrs ago, and then a melanoma this yr, I was just wondering if I should seek the opinion of an oncologist, so you think I'm ok?? No need to venture off in that direction?

wakkochic17
10-06-2006, 12:56 PM
hey! I would doubt the two are connected.. but I can understand the concern. If you need to put your mind at ease you could always set up a consultation with one.

westllen
10-06-2006, 01:02 PM
Wakkochic17, I think you hit the nail on the head "put my mind at ease".

My GP has been suggesting a PET scan and then if that shows something then consult with an oncologist.

I am doing this backwards?