PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone used Efudex ?

anxiousinnj
10-01-2006, 06:46 PM
I was just prescribed Efudex cream to use 2 x day for a few weeks on chest, back & hands--also face but I think I will wait on the face.
The pictures on the internet showing patients who used it were pretty scary, that's why I'm holding off on the face, plus I had 3 biopsies on my face- enough injury for this month.

Just wondering if anyone used it how you made out? It's supposed to destry AK's & any basal cell cancers.

Thanks ~

anxiousinnj

starsailor111
10-06-2006, 08:54 AM
Hi, I am currently undergoing Efudex treatment and this is the third time. In a nutshell -- it is effective ... and it is awful. I can deal with the unsightly appearance (good cure for vanity), but the burning pain is nearly unbearable. Someone named Polly (not sure if this board or not) said she was hospitalized and suicidal during the treatment. A specific recommendation -- before agreeing to the treatment, obtain a promise from your physician that he or she will provide EFFECTIVE auxiliary treatment to address the pain -- at least at night to enable sleep. My Dr. said "take Tylenol", which reduced the pain by one half of one percent. Needless to say, I am seeking another dermatologist. Good luck to you.

David in San Diego

anxiousinnj
10-16-2006, 10:32 PM
Starsailor ,
I've been using the Efudex for 2 weeks now-- 2 more to go.
Lots of red, burning sores on my chest & back.Also my left hand-- guess the left is worse from driving.
The burning is rough- but so far I can handle it. I am inthe midst of a bad back going on here right now & I guess that pain is so bad that I'm just getting used to being miserable.
Most worried about when I do the face-- this is gonna be God awful !
Does you skin look better then before the Efudex when all healed ? Seems to me it should be by getting rid of the sun damage-- or do you end up with scars ?
Need to know this before I tackle the face....

thanks for your help

anxiousinnj

Ga Lady
10-17-2006, 11:59 AM
Believe it or not..You're skin will be good as new once all the scabbing and healing is over. Be sure to use cool wet compresses to the areas that are painful. It relieves the pain and swelling. Also a good moisturize is of up most importance when the use of Efudex is completed. Not a moisturizer with fragrance or perfumes. Or alcohol. So check it out before you apply. Thin coats..Very thin coats of Vaseline is usually recommended.

anxiousinnj
10-17-2006, 06:34 PM
Ga lady,
thanks- I was just coming in here to ask does the skin ever heal & what will it look like? My chest & upper back are pretty nasty-- burning & itching like the devil. I'm looking at it this morning thinking what the heck have I done to myself here? And I was supposed to do my face-- ugh. I will do it eventually but can't cope with it right now.

So, how long before you look normal again ? I am supposed to go to a party next Saturday & I will have to wear something that covers all of this mess up.
Thanks for the tip on the moisturizer. Cool compresses are an excellent idea !

thanks again.

anxiousinnj

anxiousinnj
10-17-2006, 06:36 PM
Ga lady,
thanks- I was just coming in here to ask does the skin ever heal & what will it look like? My chest & upper back are pretty nasty-- burning & itching like the devil. I'm looking at it this morning thinking what the heck have I done to myself here? And I was supposed to do my face-- ugh. I will do it eventually but can't cope with it right now.

So, how long before you look normal again ? I am supposed to go to a party next Saturday & I will have to wear something that covers all of this mess up.
Thanks for the tip on the moisturizer. Cool compresses are an excellent idea !

thanks again.

anxiousinnj