PDA

View Full Version : GERD or LPR???

ssborrow
10-02-2006, 10:21 PM
I was diagnosed with GERD over 15 years ago, and am currently on Acifex. However every now and then I get these episodes, like last night, where I bounce wide awake, stand up, and I swear I can FEEL the flap in my throat trembling. Then acid just splashes up choking me! I get all sweaty and my chest and throat BURN like crazy! Nothing stops it. I try to sip milk or chew some tums, but I end up giving up cause it makes the choking worse. It seems like these episodes, while not getting more frequent are getting worse. Could this really be LPR? Acifex just isn't cutting it for me, and Nexium has caused me migraines in the past. Is there anything that's really good for this? Anything I should try to avoid? I am making an appointment today and want to be more informed. Thanks!

smurfy33
10-03-2006, 09:41 AM
I occasionally get episodes overnight where I wake up, jump out of bed, feel like I'm choking, cough and get a lot of acidic, horrible tasting stuff come up. I feel like I can't breath right and I cough and cough and cough and clear my throat until I get it all up. I feel like I've aspirated some acid while I was sleeping. I usually eat a piece of bread to soothe my throat and go back to bed. I'm assuming this is LPR. I'm on Prilosec once a day but occasionally I'll take an extra. It helps me. I just can't eat a couple hours before I go to bed. I tried elevating the head of my bed but I had horrible neck and back problems with that but that did help the reflux. Good luck!