PDA

View Full Version : Severe reflux, nexium no longer helps!

swig
10-15-2006, 01:46 PM
Hello, I started haivng acid reflux about three years ago. I have been on Nexium since and it has been under control until about 2 months ago. I started to develop a strange tingling sensation in the upper center/right area of my chest. This has developed into severe reflux. My doctor has me on nexium twice a day now and it is not helping. I have a constant irritating pain in my chest and now my throat is starting to burn. It also seems to be triggering ear pain and headaches. My doctor recently gave me a RX for Reglan, but I am afraid to take it due to the side effects. I had an upper GI series done, which showed severe acid reflux. My doctor is going to set me up with a GI doctor again. I also have bad nasal drip, is this connected? I am really worried, I never have a moment of relief! Any thoughts out there or similar symptoms would really be helpful.

Thank you so much!

IamNancy
10-15-2006, 05:01 PM
how long have you taken the nexium twice a day?... It took nearly 2 weeks of me taking it twice a day to get rid of the awful pain...

swig
10-15-2006, 05:41 PM
today will be the tenth day of taking the Nexium twice daily. Thank you for replying, I really hope that it starts to help. It seems I feel worse everyday and I am really concerned.

NancyH
10-15-2006, 08:55 PM
IT actually took me a couple months to finally bring it under better control, I don't have full control but it is by far more tolerable than it has been in two years.

aswaer
10-15-2006, 10:11 PM
Same thing happened to me recently - I'm 32, have been on Nexium for 3 1/2 years, and 7 weeks ago, I began developing a burning/raspiness in my throat - I also felt like it was completely dried out and a cough came back.

I switched to Aciphex 10 days ago and it seems to be helping. However, that turning point 7 weeks ago also marked the beginning of my being unable to eat chocolate and drink any caffeine without major consequences.

swig
10-16-2006, 04:41 AM
Thank you so much for your replies! It is so helpful to know there are others out there who understand and are going through the same thing.

blondy2061h
10-16-2006, 10:09 PM
You need to try the Nexium longer, but also, try other PPIs, and Carafate. Reglan should not be the next step. Nexium never worked for me. Prevacid does though.