PDA

View Full Version : Can't Get Appt. For Dermatologist Till MARCH!

hlowrie
11-17-2006, 10:39 AM
I am trying to get an appt. as soon as possible for the dermatologist and every one that I called for my insurance is booked until March! What the heck. How do they expect you to get your moles looked at right away if any changes, when you can't get in to see them. I guess I am gonna go to my PCP and see what he can do. I mean my baby will be born by then. This is just ridiculous. I can't wait until then. I hope my PCP can at least get an biopsy of it and send it off or something. Heck, if it is cancer it'll probably be all over by then. I am just so anxious about this right now. I feel as if there is nothing I can do, but just sit wait and agonize over it. Well anyway if you have any advice on what I should do that would be great. I am gonna try to get in to see my PCP today hopefully it will calm some of my fears. Thanks again. :confused: Holly

Ladypepper
11-18-2006, 12:01 AM
Your primary care doc should be able to do a biopsy - please make sure it is NOT a shave biopsy. Insist on a PUNCH biopsy.
If your pcp is unable to do a biopsy, maybe you can get them to refer you to another derm.
Just to ease your mind a little - my melanoma was biopsied in Jan 06 and I didn't get my NED until MAY. So even though 5 months is a long time when you are stressing about it - it is not unheard of. As of now 11 months after diagnosis - I STILL have not even started the treatment - so I can relate to being concerned about the passing time.
Try to get the pcp to do the biopsy - or refer you to another derm that is able to see you sooner. Wish you the best! Be well.

hlowrie
11-18-2006, 07:47 AM
Well my PCP said it did not look like cancer, but I had him remove it anyway. He sent the whole mole off to be tested. I should know on monday if it is cancerous or not. I just feel better knowing that it is gone. I am just gonna make an appt. with a derm in feb. the earlist I can get in and get a total body, exam and make sure there is nothing else lurking around. Thanks again. :p

mich81
11-18-2006, 04:05 PM
The same thing happened to me. I was so worried I was in tears some nights. I ended up going to see my general doctor and he was able to at least ease my mind until I could get to the dermatologist. My moles were abnormal by looking at them in his opinion. So I started to freak out more naturally. This is what the doctor explained to me to calm me down..... he said that with moles must of the time a few days or months is not what makes the difference. It is when people wait years. ALthough this is not true with all cases. Anyway so I went on to derm. and he said the same thing. After all of that I had to wait another few months to have them (i had 2moles) removed. Then another terrible week waiting on the results. The came back abnormal but not cancerous. HAng in there and go see your doctor for peace of mind.

applekiss
11-24-2006, 02:09 PM
Places that accepts insurance is ALWAYS so packed. It is just not right for someone to have to wait months for treatment when they got a problem. Sometimes I just go get it checked up else where and I pay cash. At least I won't stress over it for months...... many times moles even abnormal looking and grows back after you cut it out its not cancer.

noodles3
12-02-2006, 01:01 PM
One option you might try if this ever happens again is to see a plastic surgeon. I wound up seeing one once when my biopsy came back undetermined.