PDA

View Full Version : Preliminary DX- Basal Cell Carcinoma

G8r4evr
12-10-2006, 12:46 PM
Hi All!

I have had a small sore on my back for at least 2 years that keeps scabbing over and coming back, but never healing. I never really thought that much about it (as I thought you had to be overexposed to the sun to have skin cancer) so I finally decided to google it to see what I may be able to do to get it to go away. Well of course, all I could find were skin cancer articles and immediately made an appt to see a dermatologist for the first time.

They got me in to see the P.A. the very next day and within seconds of looking at the spot, she said it looked like superficial basal cell carcinoma. I asked her if she thought there was any chance that it was melanoma and she smiled and said no and said she would see me soon for a biopsy.

So, my biopsy is scheduled for Wednesday and I am really scared. The spot looks identical to the basal cell example in the brochure, but I cant help but worry that after waiting at least 2 years, that it may have spread. I guess Im wondering what to expect from here. She said she was going to remove it in the biopsy, but then what? Will the results tell her if it has spread? Im also worried about several other large moles on my back now....Any insight would be greatly appreciated =)

G8r4evr
12-12-2006, 03:09 PM
Wow, no responses yet =( I was hoping for some words of wisdom and/or encouragement =) Did I say something wrong? Ah well, my biopsy is in the morning, so hopefully all goes well!

annieoliver
12-12-2006, 04:06 PM
Hello,

I'm sorry that I don't have an answer as I'm in the same boat as you.
I'm going back to get some more moles looked at tomorrow. Hopefully, we will find out that there is nothing to worry about.

I wish you the best and I will tell you what I find out too. I had the same thing removed on my back as you and I won't know anything for two weeks.

annieoliver
12-14-2006, 10:42 AM
Hi again,

I went back to the doctor yesterday and she confirmed that
the mole on my back was Basal Cell Carcinoma. I will go back and
have more skin removed after the Holidays.

I hope you have found the information that you are looking for.

All the Best to you.

G8r4evr
12-14-2006, 03:27 PM
That is wonderful news Annie!! =))

I had my biopsy yesterday and my back is pretty tender today (is that normal)? After the biopsy, the RPN didnt seem to be quite as confident in her original diagnosis of basal cell carcinoma,,,but maybe that is just me being paraniod. In studying pics online, Im starting to worry that it may be superficial spreading melanoma.....while they appear very similar, I cant seem to find any major difference in the characterisitcs of superficial spreading melanoma and superficial basal cell.

The worst part is that I dont go back until 12/27 for the results =( I was really hoping to have some news before Christmas.....

annieoliver
12-16-2006, 07:37 AM
I'm sorry that you have to wait to see someone. Can you
call and tell them how you are feeling?

I'm going January 10 to have the rest removed on my back.

I'm definitely going to be cautious with the sun.

Hope you are able to rest your mind right now.:angel:

annieoliver
12-16-2006, 07:40 AM
Oh, yes. My back has been tender for a week.
I just keep putting ointment on it and bandages.

G8r4evr
12-16-2006, 08:24 AM
I called and asked them since my followup isnt until the 27th, if they would call me if the biopsy results came back sooner than that. They said that I could try back late next week, but "if they are lucky" the results come back from the lab in 7-10 days. With the holiday, Im doubting they make it back any sooner =(