PDA

View Full Version : Stage 1B Melanoma-SCARED

ascott1975
12-11-2006, 08:44 AM
Had surgery- and Sentinal Node biopsy- no cancer cells in margins or in lymphnodes. now oncologists want me to get a PET scan to make sure no melanoma has spread anywhere else. He says I have an 85% chance that I was cured with surgery-but am STILL SCARED. Has this happened to anyone before? what treatment have you had? Please respond with any knowledge! AM going CRAZY worrying about it!

stick2013
12-11-2006, 04:48 PM
Take a deep breath, and let it out slow. Melanoma is serious, but with the Sentinal node being clean, and clean margin you should be ok. Have the PET scan, to be sure.

My friend had graves 3, stage 4, positive Sentinal Node, 22 others removed. That was 8 1/2 yrs ago and she is still fine. Just do your check ups, and stay out of the sun. Keep your skin protected. Just because you use sunscreen doesn't mean that you can be exposed to the sun for 8 hrs a day. Keeping your skin covered from the sun is the best protection.

Hang in there,

Sid

ascott1975
12-12-2006, 06:38 AM
Thanks you Sid for responding. I'm just freaking out even though my oncologist said that I ahve an 85% chance that I was cured with surgery! I am just so worried that he's going to put the scan up on the screen and the next thing I know we will be talking about surgery and CHEMO!

stick2013
12-12-2006, 10:19 AM
Hang in there youwill be fine. Just NERVER forget that you have had skin cancer, and ALWAYS protect your skin, and ALWAYS remember to get yor check ups.

Sid

bjsy
12-19-2006, 01:39 PM
Hi,

I had stage 1 melonoma and my dermotologist did the MOSH ( I think that is how you spell it!) in his office and the pathology came back clean. I did not have to have any x-ray's or anything. He said that if you are going to have melonoma stage 1 is the best one to have! He gives me a 99.9% success rate and I am being checked every 3 months. I have had a full body check and he always looks at anything I have concerns about when I go. I told him that I could become paranoid over this becasue every freckle looks like something is wrong with it now! I apply tons of sunscreen everyday and I know my being in the sun days are over!

Becky