PDA

View Full Version : Superficial Spreading Melanoma

G8r4evr
12-24-2006, 11:08 AM
Hi All!

My first biopsy came back as Superficial BCC and I am much relieved, but I still have 1 spot of concern.

This one is on my upper abdomen and a dark brown/black relatively flat mole. It is almost exactly the size of a pencil eraser and has irregular edges. 98% of the mole is the dark brown/black color, but the most outside portion has a tiny rim of light brown. It doesnt itch or bleed and the earliest I can remember it being there was about 4 years ago, and it was close to if not the same size that it is now.

I am really worried because I keep reading about melanoma spreading to the nodes...and my underarms have been sore and seem to be a little swollen for the last 3 or 4 months, but I do not feel any bumps under there.

What worries me the most is the stat that I read saying Melanoma is the #1 cause of cancer death among women 25-30 and I am a 27 years old female. The fact that it doest appear to be spreading radially, just makes me worry that it has begun growing vertically.

Any words of advice would be very much appreciated!!

Cheryl~

stick2013
12-24-2006, 12:22 PM
Hi,

My advice would be to go to a derm. and have it check out. Melanoma is nothing to fool around with. When in doubt.....Check it out.

Sid

bjsy
12-25-2006, 08:13 AM
Hi,

I agree with Sid...go the dermotologist and have it checked, and if you are not comfortable with what one dermatologist tells you..go to another. I had melenoma and the first dermotologist I went to told me the "freckle" was ok and would only do a biopsy if I insisted. It did not look normal to me so I insisted. It was first stage melenoma. I did not go back to that dermotologist for the surgery. I no longer trusted his judgement...and I told him so. I found a dermetologist in two days and had the melenoma removed within a week. So don't always trust just one doctor.....but do trust your instincts...if it looks wrong keep looking for answers!

Becky

G8r4evr
12-25-2006, 04:57 PM
Im going to call the Dr tomorrow and see if she can get me in earlier. She initially said "1 suspicious mole at a time" and that she would rather wait to remove the BCC from my back, before doing a biopsy on this one on my stomach.

I am just absolutely terrified. The mole matches like 3 of the 4 typical characteristics of melanoma and I know that it has been there at least 4 years. Im so scared they are going to do the biopsy and tell me that it has already spread =(

caryncmale
01-22-2007, 08:09 AM
Get it removed. I had a small mole similiar to yours on my upper left arm for as long as I could remember. My wife had breast cancer used to nag me all the time about getting it removed. For years. Anyhow, in 2003 she sets up an appointment for me at my Dr. I show him the mole and he gives me 3 options.
1) Do nothing and watch it.
2) He could remove it.
3) Schedule a dermotolgist.

Anyhow, I got it removed because she would keep pestering me.

It came back a stage 1A melanoma. My Dr. and I were both surprised.

Even though I had it for ever it apparantly had changed. It was not symetric.

Dont get it shaved, get it removed. If you are worried about a scar go to a plastic surgeon.

In Situ is 100% cure. 1A 95%. and then survival starts falling off the cliff.

I would have bet a million dollars mine was nothing. Now I get to worry about it coming back.

Also, I had mine for as long as could remember and it was only 1A. Get it removed.

jmarie920
01-22-2007, 05:34 PM
Hey:)
If caught early enough, melanoma is very able to be treated. Think of it this way, its better to know about it than to let it go. Melanoma is the most deadly for of cancer, but it doesn't mean its not curable, and if it were nodular melanoma(the kind that grows vertically), it would be a large bump and quite visible. Also %5 of cancer is melanoma, and that's not much at all. Good luck!