PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have something that triggers a seizure?

Lindakatt
01-10-2003, 07:54 AM
I have a very odd thing that can trigger a seizure for me. It's mostly under control now with meds, but I often "test" myself and find that I can still feel odd, almost like I could have one but don't.

Anyway, the thing is "humidity." If I talk about humidity, someone else talks about humidity, if I look at a humidity meter I have at home (I forget what they're called) or even think about humidity I feel as though I'm about to have a seizure. Even as I type this I feel odd. My doc thinks it is because the meter I have is shiny, but I don't think that's it at all.

My house is dry in the winter, so I have a humidifier to help out. Everytime I look at the thing or have to add water I get this odd feeling.

Very bizarre thing the brain is. I have heard of some people who have seizures if they hear a particular singer, or smell a certain smell. Anyone have any weird stories to share?

Lindakatt
01-10-2003, 02:56 PM
Am I weird or something?? Hahaha...

Karla
01-10-2003, 07:08 PM
I used to get a seizure everytime I would walk through the laundry soap isle at the grocery store. If I smelt soap at all I would have a seizure. Also flashing lights and lack of sleep would trigger my seizures. However, I had many that just occured for whatever reason I don't know.

poodlecoaster
01-29-2003, 02:54 PM
My aura is that I have a smell like a paint smell from a car body shop. It is also the same smell as when someone has been riding their clutch while going down lots of hills in a straight shift car.

bilbostuff
02-08-2003, 11:40 PM
Believe it or not, a bowel movement...I go to the bathroom get up, and start feeling it comming...I have no idea why....buy this is my pre-seizure thing..wish I could smell roses or something

------------------
Bilbostuff
Rock on..

Pearl201se11
02-10-2003, 06:54 AM
Lights. Lights trigger my seizures, especially bright or flashing lights!

sekharp
02-10-2003, 09:23 AM
I think that for me, it's sleep deprivation or fatigue. The nights when I've had my worst seizures were either immediately or recently preceded by a lack of sleep. ...

------------------
All of us has an angel, if only we know where to look.

James_reg
02-26-2003, 04:19 AM
For me it used to be doors. It used to take me about 5 minutes to open my front door. Good job i was not running from the police or somebody! Then again they would not have to worry about locking me up. Just give me a cloack room and i'll never leave!

[This message has been edited by James_reg (edited 03-01-2003).]

kayakmom
02-26-2003, 04:42 PM
Sam's can be from not eating, sleep deprivation is a biggy, sickness especially fighting a bacterial infection, fireworks used to trigger them, but not lately.

pineapple35
02-26-2003, 10:09 PM
I always had seizures in my sleep-wake cycle. I'd be just about to fall asleep and then I'd have a seizure. Also, sleep deprivation, nervousness, and loud noises.

Pearl201se11
05-12-2003, 02:08 PM
For pineapple35: My seizures can start if I hear a loud noise and can be made worse by loud noise that has already started. Is their a connection between seizures and noise?

------------------
Pearl201se11

Katiepops
05-12-2003, 04:41 PM
My brother in law also says sleep deprivation and flashing signs. He had never heard anyone else say sleep deprivation so he will be glad to know that others have the same problem.

HawkFan1502
05-12-2003, 05:34 PM
I have to agree with sleep deprivation for me, plus mine are more related to stress also. If I've been under a lot of stress, I usually have a seizure the next day.

Barb

4shar
05-13-2003, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by Lindakatt:
I have a very odd thing that can trigger a seizure for me. It's mostly under control now with meds, but I often "test" myself and find that I can still feel odd, almost like I could have one but don't.

Anyway, the thing is "humidity." If I talk about humidity, someone else talks about humidity, if I look at a humidity meter I have at home (I forget what they're called) or even think about humidity I feel as though I'm about to have a seizure. Even as I type this I feel odd. My doc thinks it is because the meter I have is shiny, but I don't think that's it at all.

My house is dry in the winter, so I have a humidifier to help out. Everytime I look at the thing or have to add water I get this odd feeling.

Very bizarre thing the brain is. I have heard of some people who have seizures if they hear a particular singer, or smell a certain smell. Anyone have any weird stories to share?

For me I usually find lights, running water or just staring into lights, right into the core of them. Also the globes on dance floors do not help. The doctor also told me not to look out to the ocean or lake as the water is mesmerizing. Camp fires are also bad, then I also had a thing with MIRRORS. My biggest thing is just staring into these items. DO NOT try these as you want to avoid staring if possible.
My seizures were known as CATAMENEAL since the occured
right around that time of the month.
I asked my doctor if I was hypnotizing myself with the mirror and water but he would not say.

terias
05-14-2003, 10:22 AM
My husband's are triggered by flashing lights...or more specifically, video games. Arcade, Nintendo, whatever! Sleep Deprivation probably didn't help him, though. Now, he pines for an X Box and I won't let him go near them. He's gone for several years without a seizure and I'm not about to let him start now! :)

KittyMom
05-15-2003, 09:23 AM
Mine are from stress. I am sure there are a few others but I haven't figured them out yet. When I am stressed I usually have a seizure when I am coming out of the stress. I am going to start writing mine down so I can see what the others might be. The person who said that she got hers from humidity and just talking about it...I think I have something similar but I haven't pinpointed what it is yet. I will let you know. I thought I was crazy for having that one. Glad to know I am not alone.

Anyone have a seizure that just confuses you for a minute or two and then you get the post-ictal like any other seizure?? Just want to know if I am alone on that one or not. Thanks....

KittyMom

LisaG890
05-15-2003, 10:53 AM
Anyone noticed if over the counter cold meds trigger them. Jake's 16 mths old, and cutting eye teeth (all 4).

We had been 2.5 weeks without a sz. We gave him 2 dosed of a cold med. and he had 8 (including 2 grand mals) in 12 hours. His Dr. says it wasn't the cold med. but possilbe a low grade fever. I'm not so sure, he had been cutting the teeth for days and running a low temp without have one!

Thx

Lisa - Jake's Momma

pretty_kitty
05-18-2003, 10:52 PM
My seizures are so infrequent that I have only just now after five years figured out that I have not had one in the daytime hours. I've had one asleep, one coming back from dinner, one coming home from work, one at work, (at lunch and stayed at work)and then the most recent one was in the middle of the street in a rainstorm. That is the only thing I can come up with. Not in the morning. I have one or two per year. Not a lot to go on.
-Kitty

Coconutz
05-20-2003, 08:02 AM
I have only had one in my sleep, a grand mal. Family told me I let out a yell & then started having one.
If you don't have an aura, and your not asleep, what is the first thing that makes you realize your having a seizure? Do you just fall down and start having one or does a part of your body start to shake first?
Basically, is there any way other than an aura that you know that your having one or do you just pass out
and wake up out of it later?

KittyMom
05-22-2003, 05:00 PM
Jae,

What is this about a "low seizure threshold"? Where did you hear that or read about it? I would like to read into that. Do you get auras with those? Hmmmm

Thanks,

KittyMom

billglassman
08-01-2003, 01:35 AM
Now I don't feel so strange. . . ..

For me it's a sentence that I cannot say or repeat right now but when it comes up I get a petite mal and have to stop what I am saying and calm down. I speak in gibberish.

GriffinS09
08-01-2003, 03:39 PM
If I don't get enough sleep for 2 consecutive day's in a row, I'm just begging for a siezure. It's the only thing that triggers mine.

Emma O
08-01-2003, 06:06 PM
Triggers for me are definitely sleep deprivation and stress. Usually I make it through the stressful event and some time after, a day, days, or a week, I have a gran mal. I do have auras each time. Also, the doctor did tell me I have a low threshold for seizures, but the diagnosis is still epilepsy. Another trigger is too much caffeine or alcohol. My first seizure was the morning after having a few glasses of wine. My neurologist said that alcohol LOWERS my threshold for seizures and caffeine inteferes with the absorption of the anti-seizure med. Hope this helps.

suzie katie
08-02-2003, 10:13 AM
i find tiredness and not eating enough through the day even 1 missed meal and i was told you should drink 3 to 4 glasses of milk every day which is suposed to reduce fits

Grumps
08-03-2003, 06:51 AM
Mine is my period - I had my first Grand Mal szr @ 17 3 days before my peiod and for the last 15 years I szr from ovulation up to when my period start - I feel fine once it starts. I have what is called Cateminal epilepsy

Rebecca's Mom
08-03-2003, 07:46 AM
Hi - interesting what triggers seizures for all of you. My Rebecca gets some of hers from noise ie. a high pitched yappy dog barking or a sudden noise like dropping a frying pan on the floor. A big one is when someone sneezes. It is quite an issue. At our house, we annouce a sneeze before or if we think a dog might bark, we tell her and this will usually eliminate the seizure. We just had some work done in our house and when the guys were using equipment, they would always say "big noise Rebecca" and carried on. Obviously we do not have a yappy dog and the sneezing thing is habbit for us. Even when she is not hear or we are on vacation without her, we still announce a sneeze. Another thing is if she bumps into something - she will seizue. So it makes life kind of fragile at the best of times......but we are used to it and so it seems is she. Loving life.........Paula

Knockonwood3times
08-03-2003, 02:54 PM
Mine usually are if someone sneezes or I sneeze and also getting up from the toilet after a bowel movement. I will say that I have more right before my cycle, but not always. Sometimes they are just out of the blue. Of course my doctor doesn't think I have epilepsy but a Migraine disorder. I think I have Simple Partial seizures, but who knows! :)

radasjewel
08-04-2003, 05:54 AM
My main triggers tend to be flickering or strobe lights, high levels of emotional stress, lack of sleep and hyperventalating. I am normally set off by the lights or stress though and then I don't have to worry too much about lack of sleep...... as I usually sleep 2 days straight after that :)
Lori

JB_Texas
08-05-2003, 03:30 PM
I wish I knew what triggered mine. I do consider myself lucky, especially after reading what a lot of you guys go through. I haven't had a gran mal in 16 yrs (after the birth of my son) now I just have small ones in my sleep about every 2 mo's. I don't even know I have them. My husband tells me when I wake up. I do feel pretty disoriented once I wake up, and I have to sleep several hrs. that day to catch up.
If I am pretty tired & don't watch my sleep that is usually the best way to watch mine...I think.

JB :)

miyamoto
08-08-2003, 03:28 AM
It took me about 10 years to figure out what causes my "mystery" complex partials. Some causes were obvious from the beginning - stress (emotional, not the work-related kind) and overexertion (I have to be reaaaaaaaaaly careful when I exercise). I then took the kamikaze approach to finding "the cause" by pushing the envelope of what I should reasonably be doing, and found that sleep deprivation, video games and so on are not a problem (thank god, because I love to play games late into the night ;-)), neither are alcohol, caffeine and smoking (yeah, yeah, I know...).

Now I think I might have cracked "it" about a week ago: it's food, more precisely junk food, processed food. That insight led me to wonder what all these foods have in common, and the answer is glutamate. Lots of it.

So I did a google search on "epilepsy glutamate", and boy, did I ever open a can of worms there. I knew already that MSG and its ilk is not exactly health food, but to find out that it's actally a potent neurotoxine was really an eye-opener. It's everywhere, it's not good for anyone, and it's downright dangerous for those of us who already have a dodgy nervous system. Mind you, there's - as always - serious research that's been done, and a lot of crackpot theories as well (MSG as a government mind-control ploy - er, yes...), so you'll have to use your common sense a bit. At any rate I ran my findings by my neuro, and he said he had never thought about it, but that knowing what he knows about glutamate it makes perfect sense...

Since MSG is in practically everything you eat or drink these days, it is incredibly difficult to get around it - you need a lot of discipline in selecting and preparing your food, and a lot of time, which I don't have. So a good idea is to help your body fight it off, which can be done through vitamins (B complex, mostly), antioxydants (coenzyme Q10), amino acids (L-taurine and GABA) and oligoelements (selenium, zinc and chromium). I've been taking all that for a week now, and I'm feeling better than I have in quite a while. No seizures, either, but that might be a fluke since they tend to lie low for a while and then cluster. We'll see as time goes on.

So right now I'm cautiously optimistic that I'm - finally - on the right track. Still, that doesn't explain one thing: I systematically have seizures at the hairdresser's. That one I actually find funny :-)

Oh, as custom dictates, here are my meds: Tegretal (since day 1) and Lamictal. I've been on Topamax (no good - turned me into a raging bull), Keppra (did nothing. No-thing. At all.) and Gabitril (made me fat and sleepy, but not much else) as well.

Hang in there, all of you.