PDA

View Full Version : Red head with freckles hair... sunburn frequently

ILuvBoston
01-04-2007, 09:49 PM
Hello all!!

I have red hair and freckles... and have had a countless # of sunburns in my life....

When i was 15... i even went tanning (dont ask why)

My ancestors obviously hung out in the northern latitudes around all that mist and hardly any sun.... and im in Boston, which is almost the same.... but I went to college in a warm climate of florida...... and i got sunburned so many tmes

anyways....

Now im 24... and iknow to stay out of the sun....

But what can i do to help my skin now???.... are there any types of food, vitamins, etc.????

Thanks!!!!

bjsy
01-05-2007, 12:42 PM
Hi fellow redhead!

I also used to lay out in the sun. I am 48 and had melenoma (1st stage) this year. My days of sun are over but it is so hard to see what the sun can do when you are youinger!

I heard on the Today show today that vitamin E can help prevent some types of skin cancer. I have been taking it for several months now but for a different reason (high platelet count) so I know I will continue taking it now!

Becky

ILuvBoston
01-05-2007, 08:42 PM
Yeah i am extremely fair skinned!!!

I am so red headed and freckle faced boston looking... i dont belong in the sun like that for too long!! I do tan (im part italian)..... but i get burnt the first 3x in the summer.. constantly

Ive been sunburned... BADLY.. .like a LOBSTER... SO MANY TIMES....

Do you have any advice for me??

What is melanoma??

At what age do people normally contract skin cancer???

Im worried!!

bjsy
01-06-2007, 05:16 PM
Hi,

Yes I have advise. Wear lots of sunscreen, a hat, and see a dermotologist once a year to be checked from head to toe for skin cancer. You can get skin cancer at any age and us redheads are prime candidates for it!

Melenoma is the worst skin cancer you can get and it, as well as any cancer can kill you. Some people have it on their feet, their head etc.....mine was on my arm..it was a 'freckle" that looked wrong. The color of the freckle had changed ( it was darker than my other freckles) and it was stage 1 melenoma. I now have a huge scar on my arm...but no melenoma.

Go see a dermamtologist and protect your skin from the sun........ always!!!

Becky

luvmy2kids
01-17-2007, 07:41 AM
My ancestors obviously hung out in the northern latitudes around all that mist and hardly any sun.... and im in Boston, which is almost the same.... but I went to college in a warm climate of florida...... and i got sunburned so many tmesBoston is nothing like Ireland! Are you just kidding? Anyway, just wanted to say that I am a freckled redhead as well and have burned repeatedly and I have had no problems with my skin. My husband on the other hand doesn't burn, has that bronze skin that I'm so jealous of, and he just had basal cell carcinoma removed from his face. So, it doesn't necessarily mean anything that we are fair skinned. Oh and I read somewhere that blue eyed people are more prone to skin cancer.. not sure why though.