PDA

View Full Version : Derm biopsied last week-result? Basal cell

Kszan
01-15-2007, 05:17 PM
So, I know there are other posts about basal cell, but I just found out today that I have a small patch on my back. My derm told me I had to schedule a half hour for her to remove it in her office.

A half hour?!!? Does anyone know why it would take that long? I mean, she already cut off part of it to do the biopsy. How much more could she possibly cut? Is it going to leave an ugly scar or a welt in the skin? It's right on my upper back when everyone will see it if I wear a swimsuit or whatever. But I suppose I'd rather have a welt or a scar over a basal cell on my back.

I'm freaking out. My parents and my grandmother have all had basal cell removed. So I guess it runs in my family. I have had plenty of moles removed and biopsied before, and although it hurts to get the shot with the numbing stuff, and there's some pain afterward when the numbing stuff wears off, it wasn't too bad. Is it going to be like that again? Like not too bad? Or is it going to be worse? I'm freaking out. I'm so upset! I can't believe this happened to me!!! :(

bjsy
01-16-2007, 12:30 PM
Hi,

I have had melenoma removed from my arm and my sister-in-law and brother-in-law have both had basil cell removed. It will probably take 30 minutes in order to get the numbing to take, and then to put in any stitches that might be needed. Best of luck!

Becky

G8r4evr
01-16-2007, 01:37 PM
I had basal cell removed from my upper back this morning. The allotted 45 minutes for the procedure, but the nurse explained that a good portion of that is set aside to allow the numbness to take effect. I have 16 stitches in my back now, but the basal cell is gone and I am much relieved=)

Kszan
01-16-2007, 05:42 PM
Was it really painful? I mean more so than having a mole removed? I've had moles removed, but I'm worried about having a larger chunk of skin cut out of my back. I guess stiches are supposed to help it heal better but I'm still really scared about it. :(

bjsy
01-17-2007, 11:02 AM
Hi,

I had 16 stitches and 7 staples for my melenoma removal. It didn't hurt, but if you start to feel anything let them know and they can give you more numbing. My worst part was having a 5 pound weight limit for 3 weeks to let it heal. It was on my left arm and the doctor didn't want me to lift or do anything till all of the stitches were out so it would heal properly.

Becky

Kszan
01-17-2007, 09:01 PM
That sounds like a lot of stiches and staples!! :( I hope mine doesn't end up being so much. It's not a very large area, it's kinda small-ish. I'm just hoping I don't end up looking like some kind of scarred up circus freak after this! My bf said I should make up a story and say it was a shark bite, "But you should see what happened to the shark!" Or something. That kinda made me laugh. :)

bjsy
01-18-2007, 11:10 AM
Hi,

My melenoma was only a smalle "freckle". It was not quite the size of a pencil eraser and now I have a place about 2" long. But at least the cancer is gone!

Becky

Kszan
01-18-2007, 03:16 PM
That's what my mom said, too. She said she's rather have me walking around with a scar a mile long than to have any skin cancer, and she's right!

I guess it's just one of those things. But you're right. To hell with it, I am more freaked about the pain of the procedure and the aftermath once the numbing stuff wears off at this point. I've resigned myself to being scarred if that's what happens. They say Emu oil or vitamin E oil are good for making the scar less noticeable, so I'll have to check it out.

G8r4evr
01-19-2007, 02:17 PM
I had basal cell removed from my back on Tuesday and have 16 stitches. The actual procedure didnt hurt at all, but Im definitely sore. Ive been popping tylenol every 4 hours and my back basically has a dull pain with sharp pains periodically...certainly beats the alternative though =)

westllen
01-21-2007, 08:51 AM
I had part of my ear removed due to melanoma, they did a wonderful job, used tissue from the back of the head and a piece of plastic for shaping. Then I had a displastic nevus removed from my hip, I have to say both times took awhile. But in the grand scheme of things it's better they take their time and get it all out.

hugheslefteye
02-18-2007, 06:23 PM
Interesting about your ear, it's amazing what plastic surgeon docs can do.

I had basal cell removed from my lower eyelid. The surgeon had to rebuild my lower lid with a skin graft from my upper eyelid. Unfortunately, that requires my eye to be temporarily closed for 6 weeks while the graft heals.

The worst part was the surgery. I was awake for the 4 hours it took to remove the tumor and rebuild the eyelid. I was very much aware of what the surgeon was doing throughout the procedure, whether it was cutting or sewing. I was recovering from a headcold so I also had to keep popping cough drops and fight the urge to cough or sneeze during the operation. Needless to say, I have chosen to have general anesthesia for when they open my eye back up.

No way would I ever have cosmetic surgery done if it wasn't medically necessary,I don't care how many wrinkles I have! ;)

I wonder if anyone else has had skin cancer in a difficult place.

hugheslefteye