PDA

View Full Version : MELONOMA

ozzie1
01-27-2007, 01:10 PM
I am new to this site looking for info because my brother was just diagnosed. Thankyou

bjsy
01-28-2007, 10:47 AM
Hi,

I had a small "freckle" that didn't look right and it was melenoma (1st stage). It had a dark color to it and I had to insist that the dermotologist do a biopsy becasue he looked at it and told me it was nothing to worry about! I am so glad I paid attention to my "radar" feeling. Early detection is the key. I go back Feb 5th for my 6 month check-up but my dermotoligist ( a new one becasue I didn't trust the one that did the biopsy) told me there is a 99.5 % success rate if caught early, but I would need close follow up for 5 years and yearly ( or more often if I see something suspicious) full body checks.

Becky

G8r4evr
01-29-2007, 02:52 PM
The number of stories where the Dermatologist says the mole is nothing and it comes back as melanoma really worries me....

bjsy
01-29-2007, 05:18 PM
Yes, trust your own instinct and if you are not satisified with what one doctor tells you go see another one. I had to insist that the first dermotologist do a biopsy and now if something really looks wrong to me I told the new dermotologist I would inisist he do a biopsy. So far I am ok with everything but I go back Feb 5th for a 6 months check-up and I have a couple of places that I will let them check out. They don't look like my "freckle" that was melenoma but yet they do need checking.

Becky

G8r4evr
01-30-2007, 03:37 PM
What about your freckle concerned you...other than the fact that it was dark? I have a tiny dark freckle on the top of my leg that is concerning me...but the Dermatologist is more concerned with a larger, dark mole underneath my breast.

bjsy
01-31-2007, 03:28 AM
Hi,

The "freckle" just seemed to jump out at me one day. I was getting out of the pool and I thought it was a fly or bug on my arm. I swim often and hadn't noticed it before so it just seemed to become noticable all of a sudden. But the first dermotologist I saw told me it was just a normal freckle, not to worry about it....but he said he would do a biopsy if I insisted...and I am so glad I did. I did not go back to that doctor though, I found a new dermotologist a week later and he removed the melenoma. I just didn't trust that first dermotologist anymore.

Becky