PDA

View Full Version : Can doctor's Mis-diagnos Melanoma?

jmarie920
01-30-2007, 06:31 PM
Soooo... I had this lesion on my leg (about 5mm, looks just like a bug bite) and it has been there for 5 years, hasn't really changed, but it concerned me. I went to see a doctor about it and she said it was normal, but she isn't my normal doctor and I'm concerned that it still might be melanoma. It is skin colored and just slightly raise on the skin with a small, lightly colored dot in the center. It hasn't really changed in size or color, but I am still concerned. I have anothe:eek: r appointment with my super-thourough regular doctor and I'm worried what he will say because I have had it for at least years.

Ladypepper
01-30-2007, 08:40 PM
Although only your doctor or derm can tell for sure, I am inclined to say it isn't melanoma. My melanoma did not look like any textbook pictures so obviously it doesn't always look one certain way. But there are some things that are pretty consistant with mel - one is change.

If your primary doctor says it looks okay then I would just relax. The key word in melanoma is change. But if it really bothers you ask to have it removed and have a biopsy done on it. It is better safe than sorry and if it eases your mind, it could be best.

jmarie920
01-31-2007, 08:20 AM
Thanks for the feedback,
if you don't mind me asking, what did your melanoma look like? And how did it change over time? thanks again!

Ladypepper
01-31-2007, 02:42 PM
Well to be honest, I really don't recall what it started out as. The only reason I paid any attention to it eventually was because it hurt and it was getting bigger and it would periodically bleed. It still took me over a year to have it checked. My melanoma was on the bottom of my foot. I probably never would have had it checked if it hadn't become very painful to walk on. As for what it looked like at that point, it looked similar to a scar. It peeled and it grew rapidly. It was very strange and like I said, I have never seen any textbook picture even close to what it looked like.

Melanoma is misdiagnosed quite a bit - I was told mine was a callous by my primary doctor. But I would not take that as an answer because it was obvious to me it was not a callous. So he sent me to a podiatrist. I still never thought "melanoma". In fact when he said it was going to be biopsied for mel, I laughed... thinking melanoma = sun. How much sun does the bottom of your foot get! LOL But that is exactly what it was.

If you are unsure and just don't know, go to a derm and let him look at it. Like I said, if it isn't changing, it is probably nothing to worry about. Sorry, this reply turned out longer than I planned. Wishing you the best!

G8r4evr
01-31-2007, 07:28 PM
Thanks for the info Lady! I was diagnoses with BCC last month and since then I have become overly worried about melanoma. I have moles everywhere, but most of them are brown....I have 4 large moles on my back, but they dont concern me (or the Dr) so much as they look alot like each other and typically melanomas do not come in triplets or quadruplets. I do have a tiny black spot on the top of my leg and another one just slightly larger (still small though) under my breast. I have never paid that much attention to them, but they do not appear to be changing at all. They are perfectly round and smooth. When you said you melanoma changed, how quickly would you say?

Thanks so much for all your help =)

Ladypepper
02-01-2007, 10:46 PM
It was gradual at first. I really didn't even pay any attention to it. The only reason I finally did was that it was already painful enough to not be able to ignore it. I wasn't watching for it to change because I had NO clue it even could be. Change is change - whether it is in a week or months. So just keep an eye on it.